PDA

View Full Version : New 5th wheelers

Sundancekid
12-18-2020, 09:51 PM
What is a good laminated Road Atlas for 5th wheelers over 13' high.
We like to use a atlas to track our journeys, i know it's old school but
we are mature folks and like old school stuff! Sometimes a map is more
reliable then new tech stuff.

Thanks
RA/ML

thanks
RA/ML

Notanlines
12-19-2020, 05:01 AM
Rod, DW and I use the Rand McNally 'Motor Carriers' Road Atlas' available at all major truck stops for $10-15 or so. However, the laminated version is also available for the tidy sum of $39.95 here:
https://store.randmcnally.com/2021-deluxe-motor-carriers-road-atlas.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=shopping_feed&utm_content=unpaid_clicks&gclid=Cj0KCQiA5vb-BRCRARIsAJBKc6I0ya7mAGtluWKGiDz5ip9fMJ7QelkispH38a uL9LyL22yT8Ux8g5AaAm8GEALw_wcB

wingnut60
12-21-2020, 10:41 AM
Have the same one Jim has. Large, seems hard to handle, but large pages and well-marked truck routes. Several pages full of warnings for truckers on what to watch out for/load, size limits.

OneReallyOldGuy
12-28-2020, 08:57 PM
I just pull in to the welcome center at each state and get a map. They are free and up to date. Write on it, highlight it, fold it up any way you want. Next time thru grab a new one.

DennisM71
12-28-2020, 09:20 PM
x3 on the Rand McNally!

terry and jo
01-04-2021, 09:21 AM
I agree with the Rand McNally Motor Carrier's atlas. It has a list (by state) of low clearances with overpasses and bridges. The only thing with paper atlases is the occasional need to buy a new one to be sure one is up to date on clearances.

We took a Summer work gig in 2019 to do road condition surveys in Indiana, and none of the work vans are equipped with GPS. Knowing that one set of cameras on the van was a couple of feet taller than the van itself, we chose to buy the Rand McNally Overdryve GPS with 7" screen. Not only does that model direct one on routes, it is set up to put in vehicle weight, height, and other dimensions and thus warns one if their vehicle is too tall for a given structure. It isn't cheap by any means, but we've relied on it more than once to find our way through cities and such.