PDA

View Full Version : F350 airbags

BobW
09-24-2006, 11:52 PM
Anyone have airbags on there F350? I would like to add this to help raise the back up while towing.

billr
09-25-2006, 12:28 PM
Bob,

While I don't have a Ford F350, the "Air Lift" bags I installed on my SRW GM did a great job. I just needed about 2" lift to get the back end up where I needed it and about 18-20 PSI (empty truck) was enough to do it. Really improved the ride and handling with the fiver on.
If all you need is to lift it a bit, then they work real nice. You can drop the air down to improve the truck ride when not towing as well.

Note, this was with my previous 13K unit, I have since added an extra leaf for towing the MS and now don't need the bags and only have about 5 PSI in them. There if I need them. I was afraid I would have to run too much air in them with the MS.

Cheers,
Bill

BobW
09-25-2006, 05:07 PM
Bob,

While I don't have a Ford F350, the "Air Lift" bags I installed on my SRW GM did a great job. I just needed about 2" lift to get the back end up where I needed it and about 18-20 PSI (empty truck) was enough to do it.

What brand did you buy?

billr
09-25-2006, 07:02 PM
I got the "Airlift" Brand bags without on board compressor. Bought them on line.

Cheers,
Bill

rotaxman
09-25-2006, 08:42 PM
Hey Bob

I have the Kelderman 2 bag rear air ride on my 95 350 I couldn't see much improvement in the ride. My girlfriend Joyce said she could tell the difference as she is a survivig bladder cancer patient she can tell pretty well the difference.

Although I don't think this is what you wanted to know about I also got the on board compressor and dump valve and it did come in handy when hitching up the 5th wheel.

Really dosen't make much difference now as it turned out my 350 wasn't a heavy enough truck to handle my 06 36TK3 MS hence the 450.

Hope this is of some help

As always good camping

Jerry and Joyce

billr
09-25-2006, 10:07 PM
Bob

Here is the link for the bags I have. Super Duty 57000 series

Cheers,
Bill

http://www.airliftcompany.com/new-index/Frameset.htm

cjssr
09-29-2006, 10:48 PM
I installed the airlift bags with onboard compressor on mine F350. Best upgrade I have ever installed.

BobW
10-12-2006, 11:40 PM
Job done. I bought my bags at Firestone. They said it would take only a few hours to finish. Well, it took me all day. You need to take the tires off. Also I had to take one of the shocks off to make clearence. Today I took the RV to the doctors for the first time with the air bags on. Before hitching I had 5 lbs in the bags. After the RV was lowered and all the weight was on the pin, it went to 45 lbs. So, I don't think I'll need to add much more than the 5 lbs. Now I understand why you don't need the bump stop.

billr
10-13-2006, 05:03 PM
Good job on the install Bob! I too found it took a bit longer than I expected. On My GM, the brackets needed a bit of a trim, but thats it.

This may be what you already have done, but in case....

You will find it best to fill the airbags when hitched on level ground ready to travel. Filler up to get the right ride hight on the truck you are looking for being carfull to not exceed the max press. Then when you un-hitch the next time, check the unloaded pressure too, so you have your baseline unloaded.

They do like to have at least 5 PSI in the bags at all times.

If you end up running more than 5 PSI unloaded, then you may want to reduce the pressure back down for the empty truck, so the ride is better.

Cheers,
Bill