PDA

View Full Version : surprise surprise

oldbird
10-10-2020, 09:53 AM
Back to AZ for the winter but thought I would mention a couple of things. On my trip back from SD Black Hills my kitchen sink fell in, my pantry door fell off and the middle shelf in the cabinet for dishes fell down. I know all you guys understand the cheapness of some of this stuff but thought I would share. The pantry door where the hinges are was only stapled on. The sink didn't have any brackets to help the glue to hold it up. The plastic adjustable height clips aren't very strong on the shelf. Oh, and the door to the fuse panel came apart and was in pieces. Oh well, fix and carry on!

OCB
10-10-2020, 10:55 AM
Is that rough roads or the glue only lasted 12 years?
Clay

oldbird
10-10-2020, 11:29 AM
Both! I know I can't expect that glue to last forever but the lack of clips or epoxy is not right. The pantry door is what amazes me, my wife for six years that we have had this 5er has loaded the pantry up with cans etc. I don't know how it lasted that long!

Cummins12V98
10-10-2020, 12:27 PM
They do a poor job of setting the sinks. Sink recently came loose. Took it out and used a wire wheel on a RA grinder to clean off top surface and a razor scraper to clean off the old adhesive on the bottom of the Quarts top.

Used Permatex PL3 to set it and shimmed into place. Next day I caulked the exposed edge with clear adhesive caulking. I also added supporting pcs of wood to the four corners as they should have done at the factory.

https://i.imgur.com/LrEka4yl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/bfPCCw8l.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Coi6aPKl.jpg

Notanlines
10-10-2020, 03:23 PM
We did exactly the same as Cummins. Ours was eight months old when the sink caved in. And no rough roads, thank you very good. Shoddy workmanship.

Cummins12V98
10-10-2020, 03:32 PM
I was a Commercial Construction Superintendent so I learned the correct way to do things from my GOOD subs.

oldbird
10-10-2020, 08:26 PM
I did just about the same way as you did when I did the sink today. I used Loctite PL530 that I read on a Lowe's instruction sheet. I reinforced the sink also, should last now.

The pantry door mount board I used self tapping screws and glue. The shelf I reinforced all four corners like the sink. I just glued the fuse box door together.

porthole
10-11-2020, 08:41 AM
At least you have the higher quality 'rounded sink'

If mine fell out I would use the opportunity to replace it a better looking, quality sink.

https://i.imgur.com/LrEka4yl.jpg

Cummins12V98
10-11-2020, 12:02 PM
I wonder if that was standard or I got it with the Quartz tops?

On a side note the basket strainers are Garvin brand and they are called "Spin-N-Grin" they are US Made. They DON'T leak!!!

porthole
10-11-2020, 02:21 PM
I wonder if that was standard or I got it with the Quartz tops?

On a side note the basket strainers are Garvin brand and they are called "Spin-N-Grin" they are US Made. They DON'T leak!!!

That was the standard sink until 2018 or 2019

Now we have square, impossible to clean corners, easily scratched (plastic items will scratch), easily dented, never looks clean sink.

Cummins12V98
10-12-2020, 01:02 PM
OH YEA! I know what you are talking about! Square is the RAGE now.

porthole
10-12-2020, 01:34 PM
OH YEA! I know what you are talking about! Square is the RAGE now.

Rage is correct.

MTK46
10-19-2020, 06:05 PM
I double checked my panty doors and like all the cabinet doors my hindges are screwed on. Yes I've also had to replace the adjustable shelf height clips in the pantry.
My sink is hanging in there very well.
Now the drawer and cabinet latches are failing quite often.
I've replaced 12 female and three male sides in my two years of ownership. Just ordered new brake pads that should be here this week.

oldbird
10-19-2020, 08:28 PM
I double checked my panty doors and like all the cabinet doors my hindges are screwed on.

Yes, my hindges are screwed on but they are screwed onto a board that was only stapled to the wall. Now that's a accident waiting to happen. All in all its been a great 5er that I have pounded over the road 10K miles every summer. That is if you can call them roads!

porthole
10-20-2020, 08:59 AM
Yes, my hindges are screwed on but they are screwed onto a board that was only stapled to the wall.

Sure beats the ceiling fan J box that is screwed to a board that is stapled to the ceiling.

stanleyz
10-23-2020, 06:17 PM
I tried to get the sink out of my 05 and it is in to stay, don't know if the factory or the PO did it but must be some kind of epoxy.