PDA

View Full Version : looking for advice/recommendations

freedoug
10-04-2020, 02:37 PM
hello all, just signed up cause I have questions about hauling a fifth wheel..I got my eye on a 24ft fifth wheel trl and the supplied info states a hitch weight of 1120lbs, the dry weight of 5300lbs, what would be a good tow vehicle to use

GTM
10-05-2020, 02:18 PM
For the weight listed you could probably get by with a 1/2 ton truck. Ford, Chevy or Dodge

wingnut60
10-05-2020, 09:11 PM
Best way to gage weights--take the GROSS weight or the unit, not the dry weight, hitch weight of fiver is generally figured at 20% of GROSS, not dry, to know what weight could be placed on the rear axle. Then compare that with RAWR (Rear Axle Weight Rating). It current rear axle weight as loaded +20% of gross of proposed trailer is close to or higher than RAWR, then not a recommended situation.

CALinSC
10-08-2020, 04:08 PM
There is not enough info for any sort of “ballpark weight” you will be able to move safely with your truck.

Dry weights are useless. Scale weights are needed. GVWR and GAWRs are weight limiters.

The amount of cargo your truck can carry without exceeding the limiters is your target. Normally it’s very difficult for any half ton pick-up truck to carry a normal cargo load plus the weight of the trailer’s tongue weight – 5th wheel.

Engine power also has a big impact on what a truck can pull or carry.

Goose_NC
10-09-2020, 08:32 AM
Guess the OP did not like the answers?

freedoug
10-12-2020, 10:57 AM
it's not that I didn't like the answers.....it's that I wasn't checking for answers everyday.....just now logged to check, has I'm in no rush to complete the purchase of fiver, it should be no surprise that I'm in no rush to check for answers either

CALinSC
10-12-2020, 12:22 PM
Even with the information you've provided we cant answer the question you've asked about a tow vehicle. However, I'm pretty sure it wont be a Ford Ranger.

GTM
10-12-2020, 01:58 PM
I disagree. They provided this information I have questions about hauling a fifth wheel..I got my eye on a 24ft fifth wheel trl and the supplied info states a hitch weight of 1120lbs, the dry weight of 5300lbs, what would be a good tow vehicle to use

With those numbers pretty much any of the 1/2 ton trucks on the market would handle the load. Now me personally I would want a 3/4 ton truck for the extra load carrying.

shocker
10-12-2020, 04:43 PM
Use the trailer GVWR which is the max it can weigh loaded. The tow vehicle must be able to pull that. On a 5th, the trailer hitch weight is born by the truck bed payload capability. Include the weight of the 5th wheel hitch. Also take into consideration the truck GVWR. Strongly suggest having at least a 10-25% fudge factor.
Read the vehicle specs carefully and don't depend on a salesperson knowing what they are talking about.

There are lots of You-Tube videos of what happens otherwise.
Something else to consider when looking at trailers and trucks are the tires. Suggest https://www.rvtiresafety.net/

RAMer-Jammer
10-18-2020, 07:33 PM
My wife and I were considering a "half-ton-towable" fifth wheel trailer. The RV dealers will tell you it is no problem, but after analyzing the numbers, I found that there are very few fifth wheel trailers that can be safely towed behind a 2020 F150 with Ford's "Max trailer tow package".

I built a spreadsheet where I input all of the truck's specs, and then could enter trailer specs to get trailer specific load percentages and percent of max/safe buffer load stats.
Most ran way over or maxed out the F150's numbers in either payload (cargo, people, fuel, hitch & trailer hitch weight), or trailer towing capacity, which tops out at 10700# (With 157" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 4x4, crew cab, 7050#GVW package,3:55 locking axle, and 20" rims)

We soon decided that half-ton fifth wheel towing was a pipe dream, and started our search for 3/4 or 1-ton trucks that can safely handle the tasks.

There are LOTS of travel trailers that can be safely towed with a half-ton and an equalizing hitch, just not many (any?) fifth wheels.

To the OP: That light fifth wheel with a 5300 dry weight and a 1120 hitch weight would have to have a payload of less than 600# total, including water, propane, gear, pantry, etc. Even this would push a maxed out F150 to within 7% of its payload limit and 6.3% of its GVWR with only two adult passengers and 200# of cargo in the truck. The truck itself would be maxed out, but have a lot of remaining trailer tow capacity. This is where the specs are misleading. The trailer hitch weight (lightly loaded with 600# of payload) plus the 5th wheel hitch in the truck bed have eaten up 65% of that trucks maximum payload without any occupants or cargo in the truck.

freedoug
11-13-2020, 09:04 AM
so, after somewhat extensive research, I've decided to go with a 2011 GMC Sierra 2500HD, 6ltr v8 with the 6 speed tranny, I feel it will be more then capable to handle the fiver I'm getting next year....thanks for all the suggestions and comments

RAMer-Jammer
11-14-2020, 04:54 PM
I think you will be happier towing with that truck!

wingnut60
11-16-2020, 09:31 PM
Ditto on that, but I would have preferred you got a Ford 250....:)

freedoug
11-19-2020, 06:13 PM
ya know that old saying.....happy wife, happy life....well if I'd bought a Ford, I wouldn't be having a happy life...lol

wingnut60
11-19-2020, 09:03 PM
Married the wrong woman, eh? :p

Notanlines
11-20-2020, 07:43 AM
Joe, that thought had crossed my mind. :D On a more serious thought, we discussed the F450 for a year before finally ordering it. Brenda's only insistence was : "Ruby Red or nothing!" That settled it...

monaj02@frontier.com
04-01-2021, 06:55 PM
Good one wingnut

rclemons55
11-28-2023, 12:38 PM
just ask the millions of happy customers who owned a 6.0 power stroke