PDA

View Full Version : Suburban Gas/Electric water heater.

Walt
04-27-2020, 12:43 PM
Suburban gas water heater SW12DEL. 2019 Mobil Suite 36RS3. My water heater will work on propane but not on electric. I repaired it once by replacing the thermostat/limit switch. Now it is not working again on electric. I’ve checked all the switches and thermostat limiter and they check out okay. The trouble shooting guide shows a relay in the schematic. Does anyone know where it is? Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Walt

porkchop
04-27-2020, 01:05 PM
Check the electrical connection on the back of the heater to make sure the wire nuts are not badly corroded. Sometimes these will fail due to movement and vibration. Have seen many with this condition. You may have to pull the heater out to inspect, depending on location. Facing the unit outside it is usually in the upper, back, left side. 4 screws and disconnect the gas line. 30 minute job. Good luck

Bill

Walt
04-27-2020, 03:01 PM
Porkchop, You were right. I was able to take the doors off and remove the wood trim and get to the junction box. Looks like butt connector failed and wires are burned up. I remember smelling something burning and that was it. Thank you so much for the help and suggestion. Walt

porkchop
04-27-2020, 03:45 PM
Strange as it seems usually most manuf will use wire nuts there for some reason. Problem is the vibrations are hard on them. That's why they use crimps most everywhere else. Saw this in a Newmar bus and a Montana 5r this winter + my own over the years.

Bill

Walt
04-27-2020, 07:37 PM
The crimp connector is the one that failed. I used good wire nuts and then taped them. I really wanted to solder them but to tight to get the soldering iron in there. Everything is put back together and now there is voltage to the thermostat. Thank you again! Walt

Cummins12V98
04-28-2020, 11:35 AM
A good job with a wire nut and taped will be just fine!!!

Carny Bill
05-04-2020, 07:34 PM
FYI the relay in question in the schematic is located in the very back near the bottom in a small plastic box. My really did go out on me. It’s only about $10 if I recall

porkchop
05-05-2020, 10:22 AM
What relay, in which question?

Bill

Walt
05-05-2020, 10:48 AM
I asked where the relay was in my original post. Walt