PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy a DRV 5th wheel AGAIN?

DHart
12-26-2019, 12:24 AM
Greeting folks... we are considering buying a new Mobile Suites 36RSSB3 5th wheel and I'm trying to get a sense of owner satisfaction with these 5th wheels.

If you would be so kind as to vote in the POLL and, in the comments, please mention reason(s) why you would vote against buying again.

Thank you for participating!

Walt
12-26-2019, 10:29 AM
Workmanship is not the greatest. Bought my second DRV in 2018. All slide adjustment bolts were loose. Draws in bedroom would not close properly. Dealer did a good PDI but the loose slide bolts were missed and dealer gave up on trying to make the bedroom draws work. All DRV's fault, not the dealer. Furion stove top and oven are junk in my opinion.

Srosa
12-26-2019, 10:44 AM
I am happy enough with my 2018 DRV to consider replacing it with another one someday. That said, I would never pay anywhere near the typical ‘discounted price from MSRP’ and would instead buy a left over or lightly used unit with a much deeper discount. If DRV were to improve beyond the industry standard for RV manufacturing quality (duck poop), I’d happily pay more.

Steve

Dapperdan
12-26-2019, 08:02 PM
When we bought our '15 38 RSSA (in March of 2014) we went into the purchase pretty much "blind". Knowing what I know now and what to look for I'd probably would buy another but I would DEFINATELY look closer during the PDI! I wasn't aware of these DRV forums back then, the forums have GREATLY improved my knowledge of inherent problems.

We had "glitches" and "issues" early on but I believe DRV's are put together better than most other fifth wheels on the market today.

Dan

wingnut60
12-26-2019, 08:29 PM
We bought a '15 38RSSA used in 2017, after owning a 2005 36TK3 for 10 years. Have not had any real problems that would not happen to any RV. Would NOT buy new for any reason due to factory shortcomings on quality control.
Suggest you check out used units in that floorplan from RollingRetreats/RVsForLess/Whiskey Mountain/Sunrise RV. If you really like the floorplan, check nationwide, there will be one come up that is in prime condition.

Campingnut
12-27-2019, 09:08 AM
If I was to buy again it would have to be from a very good dealer. I bought a used 1 year old and have had lots of problems with no support.

Cummins12V98
12-27-2019, 11:48 AM
In a heartbeat I would buy another from RollingRetreats!

I would NOT have it delivered to WA from OK and would NEVER wait one year then go to the Factory for warranty. ONLY good was Fred the Tech! Lyin POS Ed Fry "Mr NO" will never see me again!

Mistakes learned as I said I would buy from Alicia at Rolling Retreats ordering a new rig as we did in 1/15. BIG difference is we would stay in their RV space and check out the new rig and make a punch list BEFORE moving into it. I would let them finish the list and then move into the new rig. I would be making a list from there that would have to be completed 100% to my satisfaction and would not leave or pay in full until then.

These terms would be agreed to BEFORE the ordering of the new rig.

porkchop
12-27-2019, 12:53 PM
Good luck with that payment plan. Never heard of a dealer anywhere that stupid.

Bill

Cummins12V98
12-28-2019, 10:52 AM
Good luck with that payment plan. Never heard of a dealer anywhere that stupid.

Bill

You were in construction, ever heard of a retention??? I guarantee you the payment plan would work.

RV stays until it's complete. VERY simple process. THEN full payment.

Now did I say I wasn't going to pay anything at all until everything was complete??? NOPE

clev
12-28-2019, 03:59 PM
I think that my DRV is the best, most reliable RV that I have ever owned. Initially, we had a few minor problems, but DRV worked with us and provided parts; my wife and I installed them, and corrected some errors in the fit and trim. We had to do the same thing when our custom home was completed. Everything requires a little tweaking and maintenance. With 15 inch frame and 3 1/4 inch sidewall frame, it is one of the strongest RV's on the road.

porkchop
12-29-2019, 01:31 PM
Yea, I know what retention is. It's a contract position between 2 groups that do not trust each other. I never worked for them. Had too much respect and a good enough reputation that it was never required. However, I have never heard of it happening in either cars or Rv's.

Seeing as how the factory sells direct to the dealer and does not hold any paper on it, it would be wise to del with a dealer that is trust worthy enough that it would not be necessary. If they let you move in any sleep in it for a night and use the facilities then they have a "used" trailer to deal with. Don't think the banker will allow that to happen. Especially if the banker already has you on a short leash. If you trust your dealer then all the fancy foot work is not required.

The last rig we bought we did the entire deal over the phone and paid cash before ever even seeing the trailer, but I had checked the dealer out ahead of time and was OK with doing that. YEMV

Bill

stanleyz
12-29-2019, 02:15 PM
My unit is now 15 years old. I bought it when it was 3 years old. I would never buy a new RV. The prices are crazy and the depreciation curve looks like the slides we played on as kids. We use ours at least 5 months a year and have evey year since we bought it. I am a life time do it yourselfer and I maintain it with a keen eye for potential problems and an open check book. Since I have owned it there was one visit to a repair shop if you want to honor camping world with that discription. They kept it way longer than promised, screwed up the work and handed me a far too high bill which I beat down. I took it home unrepaired and did it myself. It has held up very well, Both ACs, the furnace, the refridgerator all the interior trim and panels and even the hot water are original equipment. There are no leaks. I had one 5 or 6 years ago but once I learned how to leak proff the trailer I had no more. Last spring we replaced the carpet with wood, much better. A few years back I finally got rid of the Goodyear tires which were 71.5 inch upgrades from stock and one still blew out after 4 years. These are heavy trailers and should have had either 3 axles or much better wheels and tires. The extra insulation in the unit make it much more comfortable in cold weather than the Cardinal I had before I got this. You can look for my post on here and find most of what broke and what I did to repair it. I look every now and then for a newer MS but I honestly would not trade this for a 5 year old Cardinal or Montana. Those units and most of the others being sold today are built to go to the lake on weekends and maybe a short summer vacation. They will not hold up to heavy use, I had a 3 year old Cardinal and it was junk at 5 years. Keep in mind that all the 5th wheels will have problems when new. That is just how the industry is, Read the entries on the five or so big RV forums and you will see what I mean. So, when you read people complaining about a MS consider what they might be comparing it to. Also, consider that DTV is now owned by Thor. I have no idea what the impact of that was but I'm pretty sure they didn't buy the company t lose money. So they may or may not be cutting cost or increasing price or both. Hope you find this helpful.

Traveling Home
12-29-2019, 05:44 PM
NO- We have had too many leaks and rotten floors for a 2017 rig. We might have had a better rig buying from Rolling Retreats or RV's for less, but nothing was available when our insurance check came in from our previous rig that was totaled.

clev
12-29-2019, 05:57 PM
NO- We have had too many leaks and rotten floors for a 2017 rig. We might have had a better rig buying from Rolling Retreats or RV's for less, but nothing was available when our insurance check came in from our previous rig that was totaled.

It shouldn't matter where you bought your RV, it's still manufactured at the same DRV plant as all the others. Mine is a 2017, took delivery 30 Nov '16. So, yours could be no older than mine; that yours has rotten floors in 3 short years is almost unbelievable. Mine has been in several torrential downpours and I've checked all slides and vents; no leaks. To have rotten floors that quickly, it must have been leaking from day 1. And you didn't know?

Traveling Home
12-29-2019, 06:59 PM
It shouldn't matter where you bought your RV, it's still manufactured at the same DRV plant as all the others. Mine is a 2017, took delivery 30 Nov '16. So, yours could be no older than mine; that yours has rotten floors in 3 short years is almost unbelievable. Mine has been in several torrential downpours and I've checked all slides and vents; no leaks. To have rotten floors that quickly, it must have been leaking from day 1. And you didn't know?
There was a well-documented topic about this over on Thor forums and Facebook. We bought from Lazy Days Florida and it had to have been leaking from day 1. Its well documented that these units sit outside for weeks uncaulked waiting for paint.

clev
12-29-2019, 07:37 PM
There was a well-documented topic about this over on Thor forums and Facebook. We bought from Lazy Days Florida and it had to have been leaking from day 1. Its well documented that these units sit outside for weeks uncaulked waiting for paint.

I would like to read that documentation; will you provide a link? I have read many posts about the poor quality of this RV, have disagreed, but just sat by and posted nothing in rebuttal. This is the best quality RV on the road today, and I can tell you why. Those that down grade it, do no checks, no maintenance, and expect it to be perfect out of the door. If you had leaks on day 1, you should have found them, repaired them, or had a warranty repair.

stanleyz
12-30-2019, 07:27 AM
Reading the post above I would like to say one more thing on this subject. If you are not handy with tools and able or willing to make repairs to a trailer you better have deep pockets. These trailers are similar to boats, they need constant attention and if you fail to do it or have it done your experience will not be good.

Cummins12V98
12-30-2019, 09:14 AM
Everyone says the floors on the slides are rotted, simply NOT true. Look at the pics the plywood has delaminated simply from PIZZ poor quality glue being used. Sure eventually it could rot but NOT in the short time people are experiencing.

PorkMan you are just so lucky to have had such good luck in all aspects of life. Must be from "Good Clean Livin", Rainbows and Unicorns.

YES it does matter who you buy your RV from especially if you are ordering one.

YES Alicia would do as I suggested above. Why not? RV aint going anywhere. Retention is a agreed upon percentage of sale amount that they will receive when RV is complete. Things move quickly when money is involved.

porkchop
12-30-2019, 06:43 PM
Well CumMan, You're probably not aware of it, but in business if you are fair, honest and dependable you don't have to try and hold people's money hostage.

Why would you feel necessary to hold Alicia in a position of you acting as if you don't trust her and need leverage? Especially since she is apparently such a good friend you can speak publicly about how she will or should conduct her business?

I generally found that the louder someone shouted "I guarantee you" in every communication over things they had no actual control over the less you could trust them and the farther away I stayed. And it worked well for me, luck was not involved in any way.
I am done debating this with you.

Bill

Master Logger
12-31-2019, 06:26 AM
:lol::lol::grin:

porkchop
12-31-2019, 12:40 PM
In a heart beat I would. And I personally don't think a dealer makes any difference. I would buy by low price and deal with the factory. They have always treated us fairly and we travel too much to go back to any one location for service. DRV has always paid for a mobile tech if needed. I'm very comfortable with that. YEMV

Bill

Cummins12V98
01-01-2020, 10:13 AM
Nothing against her at all!!! It's simply a way she can use ME as a way for DRV to get off their AZZ and get her parts that may be needed. We drove from NW WA to Elk City, OK on 1/1/15 to meet her and order our current DRV. I had excellent advice from her and would do the drive again to order another. This is a business strategy that works, NOTHING to do with her. DRV are snakes in the woods, I know Pork you have never had an issue. But the fact is many have, us included.

The day DRV is "fair, honest and dependable" I will change my mind.

Retention does NOT mean I wouldn't pay anything. These terms would be agreed upon at the time the "DEAL" is made.

Don't like what i say well I guess that's your right as it's mine to get what I paid for.

porkchop
01-01-2020, 05:55 PM
You still don't understand, do you? By the time the unit gets to the dealers lot DRV has NO financial interest in it. It's paid for and is the dealers. You are holding the dealers money and there is no way to hold the factory hostage.
They have treated me "fair, honest and dependable" in every aspect of the transactions I have had with them. But I didn.t show up with a chip and demanding stuff either. That's what works for me but apparently not you, so continue on at your speed. Remember how you went there and demanded they take all of the trim screws on the outside out, replace them with new screws of your choosing and repaint? I do and I remember the outcome. The factory service guys are still laughing about that. So is my good friend Mr No

Bill

Cummins12V98
01-02-2020, 11:14 AM
Twist it how you want Chop the POS "Mr NO" is a slimy MoFo plain and simple. I am NOT the only one to think so.

So you think the self drilling screws are the correct application for the outside trim? NO they are not, why do you think they are constantly backing out? Oh I suppose you have never had one move.

I completely understand. I watched it in action when I was back at RR ordering current RV. They constantly have RV's being delivered from the Factory. THAT is how they can get materials FAST when they ask for them. BIG basement with lot's of capacity. Reality is the RV cost's less than what RR pays. A reasonable number around what their profit would be is what I would negotiate for the retention. It gets paid before I leave their property.

ZERO chip on my shoulder as I was asked by Mr-N to send him pics of EVERYTHING. I did and all I got was we have a week blocked for your RV and will take care of everything.

ONLY reason I went there for my list was Alicia was paying for my MORryde risers to be installed and figured the factory would be the best place to get my warranty work done, sadly not the case!

I am sure many reading my experience will learn from what i have to say.

Well your good friend Mr-N is a real winner!

Example. In passing upon arrival we had a quick exchange with him with ZERO introductions. Next morning we went into the office, he was setting on a couch. We walked up to him, I said "this is my wife Tana". He did not get up or shake her hand as any decent human would do. His stone cold response was "I have already met her". My wife was shocked!

There was ONE shining example of a great Human, that was Fred my Tech 4 of the 5 days. He was VERY knowledgable in all phases of construction so we had lot's in common since my career was a Carpenter/construction Superintendent. I was considered at the top of my field and was a top quality Finish Carpenter. He was so good that I offered him a job. He did a great job on what he was allowed to do. He did more than allowed because he could see I was not asking for anything but to have it right.

But sadly he had obligations on the 5th day. So Kevin the other tech took over. Kevin is a nice guy but NOT a finish type of guy.

porkchop
01-02-2020, 03:14 PM
You don't read very well. I did not say it was the proper application at any time. I said you said you were going to make the factory change all of yours and repaint. I asked 3 or 4 years ago to see a picture. Still waiting. That's because they laughed you out of town. Some one had for warned them before you got there as to what to expect.

"Reality is the RV cost's less than what RR pays." WOW! What a concept!! I may go back into business just to try that theory out. Buy low=sell high is what I think I'll call it. You still don't understand that you will be holding the dealers money, not the factory's do you?

But now we have finally gotten down to the actual problem. Someone did not bow to you or your wife correctly and acknowledge your vast and superior abilities as a trim carpenter. How dare they for not knowing who you were! I think there is a Ytube channel for that.

This time I really do mean it=I am done with you. You stay in the peoples republic of Cal and I'll stay in Texas. No fun arguing with an unarmed opponent. You are blocked.

Bill

Cummins12V98
01-02-2020, 05:08 PM
You don't read very well. I did not say it was the proper application at any time. I said you said you were going to make the factory change all of yours and repaint. I asked 3 or 4 years ago to see a picture. Still waiting. That's because they laughed you out of town. Some one had for warned them before you got there as to what to expect.

"Reality is the RV cost's less than what RR pays." WOW! What a concept!! I may go back into business just to try that theory out. Buy low=sell high is what I think I'll call it. You still don't understand that you will be holding the dealers money, not the factory's do you?

But now we have finally gotten down to the actual problem. Someone did not bow to you or your wife correctly and acknowledge your vast and superior abilities as a trim carpenter. How dare they for not knowing who you were! I think there is a Ytube channel for that.

This time I really do mean it=I am done with you. You stay in the peoples republic of Cal and I'll stay in Texas. No fun arguing with an unarmed opponent. You are blocked.

Bill

Thank GOD PORK MAN!

Guess you don't read well either because Mr NO said he would take care of what items I sent to him, NEVER said no to anything til I got there. In fact the POS never would say to my face NO. He left that to his umderlings.

Guess you have no care to defend your wife. A-hole is simply A-hole!

Nice you have to twist my words. PLEASE show me where I said I would "MAKE THEM" change the screws.

Sorry you may have blocked me but if I quote you or anyone else you will have to view my lying posts.

Hey enjoy your perfect DRV, I truly am happy for you to have such an wonderful machine.

Cummins12V98
01-02-2020, 05:10 PM
Sorry everyone for the side show. Simply go back and see who started the sniping.

OCB
01-05-2020, 08:59 AM
I think that my DRV is the best, most reliable RV that I have ever owned. Initially, we had a few minor problems, but DRV worked with us and provided parts; my wife and I installed them, and corrected some errors in the fit and trim. We had to do the same thing when our custom home was completed. Everything requires a little tweaking and maintenance. With 15 inch frame and 3 1/4 inch sidewall frame, it is one of the strongest RV's on the road.

I agree. with 99% said. Nearly 50 years I brought my first RV. A 14 foot Roadrunner (Pull behind) that had a gas lamp, ice box and 20 gallon fresh water storage with a hand pump. Yes it could sleep 3 adults and 3 kids. Only problem I remember I had recalk at about 10 years old. Would I go back to such a simple RV? NO

Would I go back to some of the brand X's, NO, my 2016 MS 38PS3 had some problems but then the biggest problem may have been Thor's early influence. My problems have been mostly appliances and other none DRV assemblies. (I haven't had the Jack problem often mentioned and I am over loaded but the same frame is placed in units of greater GVW.
Yes to buying another.

Clay with 2015 Freightliner M2 106 Sport Chassis

Stevencoles
01-06-2020, 03:37 PM
I’ve got a 2014. 38RSB3 estates that I’d love to sell, not because we are dissatisfied, we simple are changing lifestyles. If you bought this new it would br an MSRP. Of near $170K. Want to save 70K To buy the truck you need to pull it? Oh I have one of those too 2017 Ford deisel dually with 36K miles.. a bargain at 43K. Private message me if your interested and see if we can. Make a deal.

MTK46
01-06-2020, 04:15 PM
I had a Teton for 13 years with no major problems except for tires. After reading about DRV I bought a used one owner 2011. Lived in it for 3 1/2 months last summer. Love the disc brakes, have replaced the rocker chairs with theater seats.
As I'm getting up there in age this will be my last RV.
If younger yes I would buy another DRV.

Carny Bill
01-06-2020, 07:42 PM
I have owned 4 new DRVs ( 2004 2006 2009 and 2012, last 3 were elites.
Build was not great on any of them, but when I had serious problems with the 2012 and was lied to by Greg in the warranty department n I told them I would never buy again.
I have switched now to “Luxe”. Can’t say it’s any better or any worse, but the warranty department hasn’t lied about their work yet.

clev
01-06-2020, 07:53 PM
Two things: Someone mentioned the good quality of Teton RV’s. Correct me if I’m wrong, but they made stick frame trailers, and have been out of business for a long time. It may have been the best stick frame on the market, but they said the same thing about Buggy Whips. Someone downed Greg Weldon. I’ve dealt with him on more than one occasion. I sent pictures of problems with explanations. I either received a replacement part or reimbursement. The most recent was this summer when the kitchen sink broke loose; poor glue job. Two years out of warranty, and he reimbursed >$350 for repairs. DRV is a great company. If I were in the market for a new RV, I would not look anywhere else.

Helipilot
01-06-2020, 10:06 PM
We have a 36RSSB3 with vanity slide. Would buy another one. Ours is a 2011 (One of the good years according to Alica and Slade) it has only about 18,000 miles on it and all the bells and whistles. Kept in a climate controlled shop and everything works , non-smoking and no pets. We are selling it since we are now raising two grandchildren and our traveling days are over for the time being. We are selling the 2015 GMC crewcab, DRW, loaded with Duramax and leather. 50,xxx miles...contact me at 501-821-1708 and we will deliver

Cummins12V98
01-07-2020, 09:02 AM
I’ve got a 2014. 38RSB3 estates that I’d love to sell, not because we are dissatisfied, we simple are changing lifestyles. If you bought this new it would br an MSRP. Of near $170K. Want to save 70K To buy the truck you need to pull it? Oh I have one of those too 2017 Ford deisel dually with 36K miles.. a bargain at 43K. Private message me if your interested and see if we can. Make a deal.

Not quite sure what price you are asking for the RV???

I can tell you my custom 2016 39TKSB3 we "paid" 130k for was worth 100k the day we took possession.

Now 4.5 years later I would be lucky to get 70k. Reality sucks!

Goober
01-08-2020, 02:07 PM
NEVER!!! My experience with DRV has been the worst by far in over forty years of owning RVs.

Roam America
05-11-2020, 02:01 PM
All brands are going to have issues. Have you ever read New Horizon or Luxe forums? They have their own shares of issues.

I had 2 Newmar 5ers, a Solitude and now my DRV MS. The Newmars and DRV had a few issues but DRV service did a great job fixing them. My Solitude was a disaster. Only had it 11 months before getting rid of it for the MS. That said I wouldn’t give Grand Design bad reviews based on my experience. Mine must have been built on a Monday morning after a party weekend. There a lot out there that only had/have minor problems.

Goober
05-11-2020, 04:25 PM
“Have you ever read New Horizon or Luxe forums? They have their own shares of issues. ”

This statement is irrelevant. Just because a product is not as bad as some other product does not justify anything. I’m glad you are happy. I base my opinion on build quality, number of warranty issues, responsiveness of the dealer and manufacturer and everyone doing the right thing. In my case ALL came up short on EVERY criteria except for the dealer. It is hard to get excited about doing a DRV deal again once you’ve experienced how they respond when it matters.

Helipilot
05-12-2020, 10:56 PM
I would, Had ours for eight years, no issues other than the front AC took a dump. Love the DRV, very comfortable and well designed.

Roam America
05-14-2020, 02:22 PM
“Have you ever read New Horizon or Luxe forums? They have their own shares of issues. ”

This statement is irrelevant. Just because a product is not as bad as some other product does not justify anything. I’m glad you are happy. I base my opinion on build quality, number of warranty issues, responsiveness of the dealer and manufacturer and everyone doing the right thing. In my case ALL came up short on EVERY criteria except for the dealer. It is hard to get excited about doing a DRV deal again once you’ve experienced how they respond when it matters.

You missed my point completely, which was all RV's are going to have issues. Even the ones that cost 1/4 million $$$. They are a man made product. Some may have more than others within the small e manufacturers while other brands may have more than another. I'm sorry that you got one with more problems, but I went thru the same thing with my Solitude. I had more problems than others with the same product. that said, I was running overloaded, so some of the issues were brought on by myself, but I still won't poison another viewpoint because of my issues. Because mine had issues doesn't mean they are all junk.

My DRV spent 4 days in Howe for warranty work but the issues I had would not keep me from buying another one if I needed to purchase another. They addressed every problem I had, fixed them all, even squeezed me in a few days later when one of the fixes reappear. I have nothing but praise form the service team at the factory.