PDA

View Full Version : Any issues with sidewall cracks at front of 5th wheel body?

DHart
12-25-2019, 10:38 PM
We've been considering a Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, but reading about the seemingly common problem of cracks occurring at the bottom, front corner of the bedroom slides on the outer wall surface. It seems this issue plagues many 5th wheel models from a variety of makers.

Has DRV had any issues with this on their Mobile Suites 5th wheels?

We're now considering a new 2020 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3.

Srosa
12-26-2019, 11:08 AM
I was a bit obsessive in my research of DRV defects prior to buying one and I don’t recall reading about any cracking of outer walls on slides. That is not to say that the outer walls are always free of defects. The slide room outer walls or panels on my unit required quite a bit of extra sealing due to poor fitment, especially on the kitchen slide. Also the roof on that slide had several staples and screws that were left high and they had penetrated the membrane. It was an easy fix but I expect a little more QA when it comes to stuff like this.

DHart
12-26-2019, 12:12 PM
I was a bit obsessive in my research of DRV defects prior to buying one and I don’t recall reading about any cracking of outer walls on slides. That is not to say that the outer walls are always free of defects. The slide room outer walls or panels on my unit required quite a bit of extra sealing due to poor fitment, especially on the kitchen slide. Also the roof on that slide had several staples and screws that were left high and they had penetrated the membrane. It was an easy fix but I expect a little more QA when it comes to stuff like this.

Thank you for that information, Srosa. It would appear as though DRV's claims regarding extra stiffness in the front area of their frames are true.

Stripit
12-26-2019, 06:29 PM
Mine was a 36TK3 2004 and we lived full time in it till 2010 and sold it in 2015. Some of the issues others might have had never reared their ugly head in our unit. Was it perfect? no, but overall I would buy another DRV unit or for sure look real hard at them when it comes the time to purchase another 5th wheel. Right now I have a lower grade motorhome for our few trips and it is doing what we need.

Dapperdan
12-26-2019, 08:40 PM
We had a couple of small flex cracks under our vanity and bedroom slides, nothing major though. While at Twin Lakes RV Repair a couple of years ago Jay discovered the cracks while doing routine caulking and checking our roof. Jay explained that on our particular model there is a very short distance between the slide opening and the bottom panel and that a short crack can appear due to slight "flexing" of the frame. Since Jay addressed the cracks we have not had any other issues with ANY cracks! The cracks we so short I hadn't noticed them until Jay pointed them out!

https://i.imgur.com/7k6x9Ojl.jpg

Dan

wingnut60
12-26-2019, 09:22 PM
They are present on ours--there is no way to prevent them due to the narrow amount of . material present and the front having to move some--strictly cosmetic, don't know why DRV doesn't place a small piece of painted trim to cover this area.

DHart
12-27-2019, 02:25 AM
Interesting. It does seem that DRV's don't have near the problems with this that the lower cost brands have.

Cummins12V98
12-27-2019, 11:38 AM
Another GOOD reason to NOT have the Vanity slide among many others!

DHart
12-27-2019, 11:55 AM
Another GOOD reason to NOT have the Vanity slide among many others!

Did you get the fiberglass roof with your "highly Elited" Mobile Suites? If so, how much weight did that add?

Cummins12V98
12-27-2019, 12:17 PM
NOPE, at the time Alicia said they were having issues, same with the electric steps. Avoided both with no regrets.

Weight really is not an issue! My 21k "RATED" RV weighs 24k, so much for the ratings.

DHart
12-27-2019, 12:35 PM
NOPE, at the time Alicia said they were having issues, same with the electric steps. Avoided both with no regrets.

Weight really is not an issue! My 21k "RATED" RV weighs 24k, so much for the ratings.

I would avoid most of the electric stuff on the Elite (steps, window shades, etc.)

The fiberglass roof is a good option, though not a necessity.

DO the DRVs have a sticker on them showing what that particular unit actually weighs when shipped from the factory?

MnP
12-27-2019, 05:51 PM
They are present on ours--there is no way to prevent them due to the narrow amount of . material present and the front having to move some--strictly cosmetic, don't know why DRV doesn't place a small piece of painted trim to cover this area.

Same with our 2014. No other crack issues.

steadfast
12-28-2019, 09:18 AM
DO the DRVs have a sticker on them showing what that particular unit actually weighs when shipped from the factory?

Yes, that is mandated by the feds, but it won't include any fluids.

Srosa
12-28-2019, 09:52 AM
DRV took your suggestion at some point:
http://www.5thwheelforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=28&pictureid=85

Cummins12V98
12-28-2019, 11:00 AM
Mine had a hand written sheet that showed tire weights and pin weight totaling 18,075# dry weight.

DHart
12-28-2019, 03:06 PM
DRV took your suggestion at some point:
http://www.5thwheelforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=28&pictureid=85

Nice! Some other manufacturers have done the same - an expansion joint covered with a trim piece to circumvent the cracking issue from the bottom front corner of the bedroom slide.

One of the reasons we decided to skip over the Jayco Pinnacle was that they did not do that - and many Jayco owners have experienced side wall cracking in that area.

DHart
12-28-2019, 03:14 PM
Mine had a hand written sheet that showed tire weights and pin weight totaling 18,075# dry weight.

Interesting. The dry weight of our 2020 38 RSSA (which includes fiberglass roof and hardwood window valances) is 17,400 lbs. I guess the different floorplans account for the 675 lb. difference?

2020 DRV 38 RSSA with fiberglass roof. (I think this roof is perhaps 400-500 lbs. heavier than a rubber roof?)
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49289212581_0ef0a6c78f_b.jpg

wingnut60
12-28-2019, 03:47 PM
DHart, did you actually get your RSSA weighed before you started adding any of your 'stuff'?
Our '15 RSSA weighed 18185 on a 19k GVWR frame with only a 400lb generator added. And a rubber roof. Another question--have you ever had it weighed since getting it loaded for use?
Thanks,
Joe

DHart
12-28-2019, 05:32 PM
DHart, did you actually get your RSSA weighed before you started adding any of your 'stuff'?

Our '15 RSSA weighed 18185 on a 19k GVWR frame with only a 400lb generator added. And a rubber roof. Another question--have you ever had it weighed since getting it loaded for use?

Thanks,
Joe

Joe... we have not taken delivery yet.

Should I not trust the yellow sticker on the door as for dry weight at the factory?

wingnut60
12-28-2019, 05:39 PM
My advice would be to take it directly to a truck weight CAT scales--you will really appreciate this basic info later in your towing life.."trusting the yellow sticker" almost makes me laugh.
I would guess your GVWR is 21000?
By the way, that is one beautiful interior...

DHart
12-28-2019, 05:55 PM
My advice would be to take it directly to a truck weight CAT scales--you will really appreciate this basic info later in your towing life.."trusting the yellow sticker" almost makes me laugh.
I would guess your GVWR is 21000?

Yes, GVWR is 21k.

Cummins12V98
12-29-2019, 12:39 PM
Wingnut60 is spot on!

Know your weights!

MTK46
04-16-2021, 04:41 PM
I just ran across this post.
While replacing my slide seals I noticed some minor side wall cracks on the leading edge of my bedroom and vanity slides.

Dapperdan
04-16-2021, 05:29 PM
That looks familiar, ours was just bit worse tho. Maybe more time had past, I hadn’t noticed it at all, Jay pointed it out and said he’s seen a fair amount of this type of cracking before. He corrected it and it’s been good ever since.

Dan

MnP
04-16-2021, 05:30 PM
I just ran across this post.
While replacing my slide seals I noticed some minor side wall cracks on the leading edge of my bedroom and vanity slides.

I had the same issue in the exact same places on my rig. Neither one spread or appeared to cause an issue.

Egabbard
11-16-2023, 05:10 PM
I purchased a 2005 Fleetwood wilderness advenger and I was told that the vehicle that was towing it caught fire and it's basically melted the front of the rv. I'm wanting to fix it but everything I try and look up is t right. Can some one please point me in the right direction. My husband and I live in a camper full time, and we purchased this one to upgrade from what we're In now. So I'd like to get this fixed as soon as possible. Or does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to fix it if I can't find the replacement
I attached a photo of what I'm talking about. Thanks!