PDA

View Full Version : Disc Brake Storage Question

1st 5thwheel
10-31-2019, 01:45 PM
So I did the disc brake conversion to our 5th Wheel a couple of years ago. Had indoor storage for a couple of years, but last winter we had to store the trailer outside. When I was preparing the trailer for the camping season last spring I found that the disc brake rotors had a lot of surface rust on them. They cleaned up OK and worked great afterwards, but took a lot to get them ready. The pads were sort of seized to the rotors, didn't appear to be damaged, but took a lot of time to get them cleaned up.

Anyone got any information on how I should prepare the brakes for storage this winter? Wonder if there is something I should apply to the rotors to prevent the rusting. Remove the pads seal the rotors and then clean everything up before we start using the trailer next year.

Any help would be appreciated.

Notanlines
10-31-2019, 05:03 PM
That surface rust is normal, you’re wasting time ‘treating’ your rotors. Do NOT spray some silly product on them thinking you’re accomplishing anything constructive. ALL drums/rotors look like this.

wingnut60
11-01-2019, 09:02 PM
Ditto on the above--any disc brake rotor will rust when not in use. Not a problem, the pads will clear the rotor when you get back to towing.

Buckshot
11-03-2019, 01:51 PM
When you first start out ride the brakes lightly for about 100 feet and problem solved.

LarryFlew
11-11-2019, 03:14 PM
Ditto. Stored disk brake sports cars over winter for MANY years. One was even for 3 years. Pads clean them up quickly and easily.

Uneasyrider
12-29-2019, 11:07 AM
That surface rust is normal, you’re wasting time ‘treating’ your rotors. Do NOT spray some silly product on them thinking you’re accomplishing anything constructive. ALL drums/rotors look like this.

Good advice.