PDA

View Full Version : Electric Outlet

ldevries
10-28-2019, 08:21 AM
Has anyone here had to replace a electrical outlet and if so were did you go to get the replacement. I have a outlet that services the microwave that needs replacement.

Notanlines
10-28-2019, 11:18 AM
Duplex receptacles are available at most RV parts departments, but we jump up one grade and buy the better grade at a hardware store.

ldevries
10-28-2019, 03:42 PM
Duplex receptacles are available at most RV parts departments, but we jump up one grade and buy the better grade at a hardware store.

Did you use a regular home outlet and it fits?

Notanlines
10-28-2019, 03:55 PM
Make sure it isn't too deep. I replaced the box once in the Raptor, and once in the Hi-Lo.

wingnut60
10-29-2019, 10:59 PM
Most of the RV outlets are smaller in footprint than a household outlet. Have replaced several over the years using the boxes that have the ears that come out as you tighten the screws, but after first making the opening larger. Not good to try to fasten the outlet box to cheap paneling with wood screws...

porkchop
10-30-2019, 06:18 PM
Purchase the direct replacement one at any rv store or from the internet and save yourself several trips back to the hardware store getting different parts. Most rv's use a crimp style outlet without using a box. A little different to use but not at all hard to figure out. Cutting the hole out and trying to find a shallow box to fit is an unnecessary pain in the rear. A few bucks more but worth it. Good luck

Bill

porkchop
11-01-2019, 05:37 PM
I was at camping world in Tucson today. Replacement rv outlets are around $10 vs .50 cents for a regular outlet at the hardware store. A little spendy but you will be way better off unless you have good luck and skills.
First thing you will notice is that unless you are at a dead end there will not be enough slack in the wire to splice onto a regular outlet. Good luck whatever your choice.

Bill