PDA

View Full Version : Dumb newbie question

Camano Ken
10-18-2019, 08:15 PM
When we pull over into an overnight location like Walmart, etc is it necessary to unhitch our 5th wheel or is it level enough to use for the night? I told you I was a newbie... lol:)

fjr vfr
10-18-2019, 08:52 PM
You can't unhook in Walmart...period. The accepted protocol is to park out of the way and not appear like you are camping there. You also need to check inside if they allow overnight parking. Not all Walmart's do. You don't want a knock on the door in the middle of the night and told to leave. Not a fun experience.

Level enough depends on whether you can sleep that way. The trailer doesn't care how level it is. I've personally never found a Walmart that was so unlevel that I couldn't get comfortable enough to sleep.

wingnut60
10-18-2019, 11:35 PM
Good info above. But you can unhitch if needed, just would not leave the trailer there while you went elsewhere. Currently near Montrose, CO--the WM there has MHs/trailers there overnight/daily all the time. Just remember to stay out of the way--and there are so many WMs NOT allowing RVs overnight, that you surely do need to ask.
As to level--if it feels ok for sleeping, the fridge should be fine overnight.

Stripit
10-19-2019, 08:24 AM
We have been "campers" since about 1995 and have full time traveled for 8 years and never spent a night in a Walmart or parking lot. We always planned our drive day to include a stop in a rv park somewhere. I've seen some interesting things in Walmart lots and often wondered why people were set up for days/weeks on end. Not our cuo of tea as they say.

Notanlines
10-19-2019, 09:12 AM
We also have been RV'ing more than 20 years and have spent a number of night in different retail lots around the country. I have to admit to never having seen any RV's parked for 'weeks or months' in any lot in our travels.
We always ask, spend a little money when we're there, never unhook, and always park where we're told or else where the tractor/trailers park, with only our bedroom slide out for the evening.
We have seen on a rare occasion RV'ers set up with their grill hot and chairs set around having a cold one, but I don't believe any comments from me would change their rude/inconsiderate ways.
It is a 'to each his own' world and we just try to slide along and get along. If Walmart doesn't welcome us then we'll either find another lot, find an RV park, or a rest area on the interstate.

fjr vfr
10-19-2019, 11:35 AM
Just an added note....why would you want to unhook? You're just spending the night.
I've also never seen people set up for weeks, etc. I have seen a couple Walmart's where it looks like some trailers/RV's have been there for a few days, but that has been rare.
Walmart offers this courtesy, so be respectful and leave no foot print of your visit.

Safe travels

wingnut60
10-21-2019, 01:53 PM
Why unhitch? Maybe need fuel, fiver won't fit at station; might need to get something to eat besides McD/Sub, etc; could be any of several other needs not met by WM shopping.

LarryFlew
10-28-2019, 03:30 PM
Just a reference but it is city ordinances that cause some WM lots closed for camping and are usually posted as such.

OneReallyOldGuy
10-29-2019, 07:57 AM
Although I’ve never tried it, I have heard camping world and some Cracker Barrel restaurants allow overnight parking.

Dr. D
03-21-2020, 05:30 PM
Concur. I have never stayed there but have read many many posts that state the same restrictions.