PDA

View Full Version : 5th wheel brakes

Marion
10-13-2019, 11:21 PM
We have a Cardinal/America made by Forrest River with disc brakes and electric over hydraulic braking system on the tandem whees. One side begins braking before the other, it can be felt from the truck, the braking release does the same.
It has all new calipers and pads, good clean rotors, repacked wheel bearings, new axles and springs, air bag suspension, new tires, proper tire inflation, within the load limit, brake fluid level ok. Hydraulic motor/pump starts up with brake application. It has done this since purchased new. Wondering why.
Thanks,
Marion

wingnut60
10-15-2019, 12:38 AM
'Braking before the other' side--are you absolutely sure the 'other' side is braking later, or not at all?

Marion
10-15-2019, 12:57 PM
Yes both sides of the brakes are coming on because where we live the calipers get surface rust overnite. It is cleaning the rust on both sides of the trailer brakes rotors equally. I am wondering if the problem is like older fuel injection systems, where each line to each cylinder has to be exactly the same length or you have some cylinders getting fuel at the wrong time due to different line length. The brake power unit sets on the left side of the trailer with a single brake fluid line coming from it. So upon brake application the fluid has to travel farther to get to the right wheel calipers and thus a time delay in right side brake application?
Thanks,

Notanlines
10-15-2019, 08:06 PM
I don't know what your problem might be, but rule out "brake application the fluid has to travel farther to get to the right wheel calipers." The fluid doesn't travel at all, only the pressure travels and it is almost instantaneous. (Assuming no air bubbles)

wingnut60
10-17-2019, 09:46 PM
Disc brake pads run against the disc all the time, they should shed rust just by rotating. Doesn't mean the calipers are applying the pads to stop. If you have gotten some air in the lines somehow might account for unequal pressure at the calipers. Bleed them and see if that helps.

elliott-maine
10-21-2019, 04:37 PM
Try bleeding the brakes. You could have a bit of air on one side that is overcome if the brake pedal is pushed harder.

gspman
12-25-2019, 09:18 AM
1st thing i would do, bleed the brake lines.

RAMer-Jammer
10-24-2020, 11:21 AM
Sounds like air in the line on the "slow braking" side.