PDA

View Full Version : Dawn Liquid detergent for clean/lube

Jerapais69
09-18-2019, 08:49 PM
Anyone use this for lubricating valves and/or dissolving waste? If so, how do you go about it?

wingnut60
09-18-2019, 11:30 PM
Periodically, I will add Dawn to the black tank after dumping and cleaning well. Then about 10 gal water + Dawn or Cascade pods added, then the sloshing from travel will tend to clean more with the detergent. There are all kinds of thoughts about how to clean it, some are better than others, some not. Sometimes I add Pine-sol before travel instead of Dawn. Working good for me, tank stays pretty clean, smell-free.

Notanlines
09-19-2019, 05:21 AM
Generally it is not recommended to put the pods themselves into the grey or black tanks. If this is the treatment you're sold on then they should be snipped at a corner and dumped into the tank minus the clear product they are wrapped in. Pods dissolve much better in warm to hot water rather than cool to cold. We don't want anything in these tanks that might interfere with the valve operation.
DW wrote to Tide a couple years ago with pictures showing the clear part of their pods ruining a set of sheets because we wash in cold water. Ah, guess what the answer was.....yep, a 50 cent coupon for more Tide products.

Jerapais69
09-19-2019, 07:13 AM
Periodically, I will add Dawn to the black tank after dumping and cleaning well. Then about 10 gal water + Dawn or Cascade pods added, then the sloshing from travel will tend to clean more with the detergent. There are all kinds of thoughts about how to clean it, some are better than others, some not. Sometimes I add Pine-sol before travel instead of Dawn. Working good for me, tank stays pretty clean, smell-free.

Thx WN, I’ll try both.

wingnut60
09-19-2019, 09:04 AM
Jim, big difference in clearances in black tank vs washing machine. Have been using Cascade pods in black tank for years with no problem. However, I am not in charge of the washing machine and DW uses liquid Tide/Downy there.
How did the pod membrane ruin the sheets?

Notanlines
09-19-2019, 07:44 PM
The clear outside pack didn't dissolve, and didn't go out with the rinse water. The sheets went to the dryer, and the dryer made quick work of melting the clear packet onto the fabric. Darn thing gets very stiff when it goes around and around for 20 minutes!

wingnut60
09-19-2019, 09:38 PM
Never thought that would happen. Thanks.