PDA

View Full Version : 5th wheel hitch lube

03Roadking
07-31-2019, 08:27 PM
Being still on the fence on getting a 5th wheel, I'm trying to get all my questions answered. I know you either place a "lube plate" or grease on the hitch to lessen the friction between the hitch and pin box, lube plate being the preferred method. But there's an area that I would think would be just as important to lube, that being the pin itself inside the hitch jaws. In all the posts I have read I have never seen this mentioned.

Comments please.

wingnut60
08-02-2019, 11:59 PM
The particular brand of hitch will have recommendations where to lube the jaws/other parts. And be careful not to over-lube, too much can attract dirt and possibly cause problems in moving the jaws. The lube plate is a no-brainer...

03Roadking
08-03-2019, 07:55 AM
Thanks Wingnut. Understand different hitches will have different requirements for lubrication of the moving parts of the jaws and other parts. My question is lubrication between the pin and jaws. The plate has the weight of the trailer and the pin has the pulling load of the trailer on it same as a ball and coupler of a travel trailer. Just seems to me you would want to have lubrication between the pin and jaws like you would between a ball and coupler.

wingnut60
08-03-2019, 09:20 AM
Understand now. I use KopperKote on the pin only, and it transfers to the jaw area. Periodically, I wipe the pin clean and re-apply. Seems to work well for the B&W hitch.

03Roadking
08-03-2019, 12:16 PM
Thanks, I figured everyone was using some lubrication it was just never mentioned.

Notanlines
08-03-2019, 08:41 PM
Playing devil's advocate here...has anyone ever seen wear on the pin or jaws, lubed or not?

wingnut60
08-03-2019, 11:45 PM
Scarring, sometimes. Galling, sometimes. But not much. Have never been a fan of dry metal-to-metal contact, but doesn't mean there has to be some lube present. Would think any wear would show on the jaws first...

MASTERDRAGO
08-05-2019, 05:44 PM
Like wingnut60, I keep my jaws and/or pin clean and lubed with automotive type chassis grease or the same waterproof grease used in my marine applications. That's what is mentioned in my installation instructions that came with my B&W Companion.

Pulling Serenity
08-05-2019, 05:45 PM
When I think about most people don't lube the ball on a ball hitch. I have always put a very small amount of grease on mine. Probably doesn't do anything but get me all dirty when hitching & unhitching.

MASTERDRAGO
08-05-2019, 05:55 PM
I hear you about getting dirty. I've always lubed my truck hitch ball b4 hooking up the boat - a small bit of that nasty green waterproof stuff.

LarryFlew
08-12-2019, 03:24 PM
I use spray can of white grease VERY sparingly, like once for the Winter 4 month trip. Don't know that it really needs it but super cheap insurance.