PDA

View Full Version : Sooo much research!

sone
04-10-2019, 03:33 PM
Hi all!

Great forum... here to learn as much as possible and hopefully hon in on my first 5th wheel! :D

MTK46
04-11-2019, 03:00 PM
Welcome sone. Are you looking new or used? Do you have a truck to tow it now.?

sone
04-11-2019, 04:04 PM
Thank you Mike! I'm a total newbie so I'm starting from scratch and need both. Most likely used. But we aren't sure what we want so I'm here to learn and digest all the great content. I do realize however that we have to get out and go to several RV shows but I also wanted to inform myself with all the great knowledge here.

Notanlines
04-11-2019, 07:37 PM
Sone, I'll keep my advice down to one single item. Buy your RV first, and the TV second. Doing it that will keep your butt out of the fire later on trying to fit a too-big RV to a too-small truck.

sone
04-14-2019, 10:30 PM
LOL! OK I know I'm late but indeed thank you for the great tip! ;)

MTK46
04-15-2019, 04:58 PM
To me first figure out your total budget. I've always bought more TV than I needed for the trailer or 5th wheel. I've upgraded my RV's way more then the tow vehicles.

SamIam
05-01-2019, 11:44 AM
Welcome! What brands have you been looking at ?

Tenbrooks
05-03-2019, 10:46 AM
Don't short change the truck. You may very well move to your 2nd 5'er sooner than you think, and the next one will often times be heavier. You don't want the truck to be the limiting factor in your selection. Many guys (including myself) start with a short bed truck that may require a sliding hitch depending on the style of nose cap on your camper of choice. I know Cedar Creek Silverbacks were once built with cutaways on each side of the nose cap to allow for a fixed hitch on a short bed truck. My personal preference is a long bed with a fixed hitch, like a B&W Companion. Some guys love sliding hitches but personally, I prefer that the hitch be fixed and stationary.

BTW, have fun with the selection process and welcome to the world of RVing.