PDA

View Full Version : Looking at newer models

Begger
03-18-2019, 08:23 AM
39DBRS3 really caught our eye looking at trailers this weekend. Love that front bath. Any feedback on this particular model? Rumor has it that although DRV is known for heavy trailers, this model is particularly heavy,especially pin weight.

Also really liked the Landmark 365 Phoenix with the aft storage tray. (Wish DRV offered that floor plan.)

All feedback on these models would be appreciated.

Cummins12V98
03-18-2019, 08:37 AM
Any two axle DRV will have a heavy pin. My 07.5 had 25% at 4,500# and current 16 39TKSB3 has 25% at 5,750#.

Suite Sweets
03-18-2019, 03:55 PM
Begger, You have a DRV and have experienced the quality. You may not be happy stepping down, just to accomplish a floor plan. Weight doesn't have to be a function of quality of materials, but I believe it is frequently.

MTK46
03-18-2019, 05:58 PM
A new 42' Landmark 5th wheel that weights as much as my used DRV 36'. Maybe because DRV is a wide body & Landmark isn't. Even my 03 Teton was a wide body. Something to think about. Guess I agree with Suite Sweets. ;)

porthole
03-18-2019, 10:04 PM
39DBRS3 really caught our eye looking at trailers this weekend. Love that front bath. Any feedback on this particular model? Rumor has it that although DRV is known for heavy trailers, this model is particularly heavy,especially pin weight.

Also really liked the Landmark 365 Phoenix with the aft storage tray. (Wish DRV offered that floor plan.)

All feedback on these models would be appreciated.

I have s 2019 DBRS3

What do you want to know ?

This trailer is heavy, out the factory door with my options it was 19,100 pounds. And only 4000 pounds pin wright.

I feel it is about 1000 pounds light on the pin for what I was expecting (I have the big inverter, extra batteries diesel generator and fuel tank that should have bumped the weight up).

I also believe DRV has designed this trailer with the axles moved forward a bit to make for a light pin.

I’m very familiar with Landmarks, completely different trailer from the frame up.

I think DRV has a floor plan similar to the Phoenix, check the rolling retreats Facebook page, they have pictures.

Cummins12V98
03-18-2019, 11:41 PM
"I have s 2019 DBRS3"

Tripple axle?

porthole
03-19-2019, 02:09 AM
"I have s 2019 DBRS3"

Tripple axle?

39DBRS3 is 2 axle
Houston is similar layout, several feet longer, 3 axle

Cummins12V98
03-19-2019, 08:54 AM
39DBRS3 is 2 axle
Houston is similar layout, several feet longer, 3 axle

What are your actual weights now?

porthole
03-19-2019, 09:46 AM
What are your actual weights now?

Haven’t weighed it since last year, and since then the biggest change was adding 9 - 200 watt solar panels.

Last weight
Axles 17,400
Pin 4020

Total 21,420
420 over

Cummins12V98
03-19-2019, 11:42 AM
Haven’t weighed it since last year, and since then the biggest change was adding 9 - 200 watt solar panels.

Last weight
Axles 17,400
Pin 4020

Total 21,420
420 over

NOT calling you a liar!!! BUT that pin is extremely low at 19% for a two axle DRV.

porthole
03-19-2019, 12:18 PM
NOT calling you a liar!!! BUT that pin is extremely low at 19% for a two axle DRV.

You think I don’t know that ?

Actually 18.7%

I was anticipating about 5K, added a bag to my hitch for that.

I use a spreadsheet for the math, no guessing.

The trailer brand new, leaving the dealer with only water and a few trip essentials was only 3600 pounds pin weight.

From the first overnight stay in this rig I thought it was unbalanced.

Axles near the middle, rear jacks too close to the rear axle. Using all the jacks, walking around the trailer feels like the rig is on the suspension.

I had conversations with two different DRV employees suggesting that the trailers are being built to enable less capability trucks to tow.

Cummins12V98
03-19-2019, 12:56 PM
These blocks I made did make our rig more stable.

What is your overall length fiberglass to fiberglass? I am about 40' 10"

Pin to first axle center? I am 24' 2"

Front cap to pin? I am 22"

"You think I don’t know that ?" Did NOT say you didn't just making an observation.

https://i.imgur.com/dtU4OpTl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/3CIfIYXl.jpg

OneReallyOldGuy
03-20-2019, 08:58 AM
Ok guys, here comes my 2¢ worth since I am obsessed with weights. I have a 2019 39DBRS3 with the 1/2 bath. Love it BTW, only small regret is going with the double sinks in the front bath. Single sink would have given us more counter space.
The sticker on the door says it was 17,400 lbs. when it left the factory. We bought it with no furniture so that is plausible. RV’s For Less took it to Lambrite to pick up the furniture and then they installed the cheap heat system among other things. I brought my own king sized sleep number mattress and they set it up for me. Out the door with dry tanks and full propane bottles, 18,380 lbs.
I weighed it a couple of months ago with all our junk in it plus between 10 and 20 gallons of water spread out in the tanks. Fuel and DEF amounts on board the truck weren’t considered either so these numbers aren’t perfect.

4,080 lbs. pin weight
16,600 lbs. axle weight
20,680 lbs. trailer weight

I have mentioned in another post that I put stabilizer jacks at the rear of the coach to take the wiggle out, and with the amount of real estate behind that rear axle I have to be very mindful of the “swing” when turning. I’ve also grounded out the trailer hitch on the rear of the unit once. It saved the rear cap without a doubt.

porthole
03-20-2019, 10:27 AM
Ok guys, here comes my 2¢ worth since I am obsessed with weights. I have a 2019 39DBRS3 with the 1/2 bath. Love it BTW, only small regret is going with the double sinks in the front bath. Single sink would have given us more counter space.
The sticker on the door says it was 17,400 lbs. when it left the factory. We bought it with no furniture so that is plausible. RV’s For Less took it to Lambrite to pick up the furniture and then they installed the cheap heat system among other things. I brought my own king sized sleep number mattress and they set it up for me. Out the door with dry tanks and full propane bottles, 18,380 lbs.
I weighed it a couple of months ago with all our junk in it plus between 10 and 20 gallons of water spread out in the tanks. Fuel and DEF amounts on board the truck weren’t considered either so these numbers aren’t perfect.

4,080 lbs. pin weight
16,600 lbs. axle weight

I have mentioned in another post that I put stabilizer jacks at the rear of the coach to take the wiggle out, and with the amount of real estate behind that rear axle I have to be very mindful of the “swing” when turning. I’ve also grounded out the trailer hitch on the rear of the unit once. It saved the rear cap without a doubt.

Same 39DBRS3.
Ours was 19,140 from the factory. Extras that add weight are diesel generator, washer and dryer, 3000 magnum inverter 3 AC’s, MOR/ryde sliding tray, fiberglass roof and others.

The trailer hitch adds 6-8” less “attack angle” clearance, depending on where you measure.

Without the hitch you would probably never come close to the cap.

I have bottomed out on the end turning onto an uphill street near my house.
I have bottomed out the receiver chain hook plates in my driveway. I have since welded on bogey wheels. These take up almost 3” of the clearance, but at least backing square into my driveway I can roll up.
The trick is always try and meet the interference square.

What stabilizer jacks did you add? I have the electric rear jacks from our previous toy hauler I’m thinking of adding to minimize the bounce. My Cyclone trailer had a wider frame then the DRV, so I have to weld on some mounting plates.

I am beginning to think this trailer needs the front axle moved to behind the rear axle, re-do the J-wrap and trim. Heartland had a Big Horn model that had similar pin weight and stability problems. They (at the urging of the NHTSA) recalled 132 units and moved the axles.

porthole
03-20-2019, 10:37 AM
These blocks I made did make our rig more stable.

I have similar blocks for the front 12x12x10’s and use dimensional 3x12x22’s for the rear jacks.

Shouldn’t have to use anything. Only time in 9 seasons with my toy hauler I used any blocks was on soft ground. And the only time I used the rear electric stab jacks was when the dogs used the garage as their rough house room.

The jacks used on these 22K+ pound trailers are then same leveling jacks used on 14-15K 5th wheels. Perhaps using the same front rams in the rear would make them more stabile.

My overall length is the same.
It seems that most of the trailers only use a few different frames.

Are your other numbers using a plumb line or direct?

OneReallyOldGuy
03-20-2019, 11:22 AM
Same 39DBRS3.
Ours was 19,140 from the factory. Extras that add weight are diesel generator, washer and dryer, 3000 magnum inverter 3 AC’s, MOR/ryde sliding tray, fiberglass roof and others.

The trailer hitch adds 6-8” less “attack angle” clearance, depending on where you measure.

Without the hitch you would probably never come close to the cap.

I have bottomed out on the end turning onto an uphill street near my house.
I have bottomed out the receiver chain hook plates in my driveway. I have since welded on bogey wheels. These take up almost 3” of the clearance, but at least backing square into my driveway I can roll up.
The trick is always try and meet the interference square.

What stabilizer jacks did you add? I have the electric rear jacks from our previous toy hauler I’m thinking of adding to minimize the bounce. My Cyclone trailer had a wider frame then the DRV, so I have to weld on some mounting plates.

I am beginning to think this trailer needs the front axle moved to behind the rear axle, re-do the J-wrap and trim. Heartland had a Big Horn model that had similar pin weight and stability problems. They (at the urging of the NHTSA) recalled 132 units and moved the axles.

My almost 4’ long “signature” is forever embedded into his driveway. I tried to exit in a different direction than I entered. I’ll never try that again.
I bought a pair of jacks from Walmart.com for 40 bucks. Well worth it. Sorry about the sideways pic. I can’t get it to upload correctly.

MTK46
03-20-2019, 12:15 PM

4,080 lbs. pin weight
16,600 lbs. axle weight

DRV must have made a change in the respect of where the axles are mounted now. My 2011 36RSSB3 with GVWR of 18k has 4010 pin weight 13,250 on the axles. Weighted it before I just installed two solar panels & two more batteries. That was with 100 gallons of water & both propane tanks full.

porthole
03-20-2019, 03:30 PM
My almost 4’ long “signature” is forever embedded into his driveway. I tried to exit in a different direction than I entered. I’ll never try that again.
I bought a pair of jacks from Walmart.com for 40 bucks. Well worth it. Sorry about the sideways pic. I can’t get it to upload correctly.

My rollers leave marks in my concrete driveway, crushing all the high spots.

There is a camper at the park I’m in using those jacks, for the same reason

I have a pair of them at home, I’ll have to give it a try.

porthole
03-20-2019, 03:52 PM
DRV must have made a change in the respect of where the axles are mounted now

I’m hoping to compare a bunch of 39DBR’s of varying ages at 3 different rallies in the next 3 months.

Begger
03-20-2019, 04:06 PM
I’m hoping to compare a bunch of 39DBR’s of varying ages at 3 different rallies in the next 3 months.

I’m very much looking forward to a report on what you find. Please let us know.

Cummins12V98
03-20-2019, 04:30 PM
I have similar blocks for the front 12x12x10’s and use dimensional 3x12x22’s for the rear jacks.

Shouldn’t have to use anything. Only time in 9 seasons with my toy hauler I used any blocks was on soft ground. And the only time I used the rear electric stab jacks was when the dogs used the garage as their rough house room.

The jacks used on these 22K+ pound trailers are then same leveling jacks used on 14-15K 5th wheels. Perhaps using the same front rams in the rear would make them more stabile.

My overall length is the same.
It seems that most of the trailers only use a few different frames.

Are your other numbers using a plumb line or direct?

I measured end to end in the past with a laser level. The CL axle to pin is eyeball. I'm pretty close doing so since I was in construction for 35 years.

Curious what your number is.

porthole
03-20-2019, 07:44 PM

2019 39 DBRS3

Overall 40’ 10”
Pin to first axle center 22’ 10”
Front cap to pin 22”

wingnut60
03-20-2019, 09:49 PM
Looks like perhaps they moved the axles forward about 1' 4" on this model?

Stripit
03-21-2019, 09:40 AM
Way back when i was doing all the weighing at the rallies of these trailers and the pin weights were very high I asked one of the big shots at the company why they didn't move the axles forward a foot or so to lower the pin weights. He said then they were talking about it. That must have been about 2009-2010?

Cummins12V98
03-21-2019, 10:17 AM
That is a lot of difference 1' 4" for our RV's being the same length. I would be curious how much less my 5,700# pin would be if my axles were moved forward 1' 4".

Stripit
03-21-2019, 11:33 AM
That is a lot of difference 1' 4" for our RV's being the same length. I would be curious how much less my 5,700# pin would be if my axles were moved forward 1' 4".

I would believe substantial as the balance point would change lifting the weights off the pin. That was exactly why I asked the fellow that the Mobile Suites trailers had such heavy pin weights and much more than any other trailers we were weighing at the time. People were buying bigger and bigger trucks to be able to carry that high pin weights. For short time they added the third axle, only just placed it behind the second axle, causing higher pin weights!
Stacey

porthole
03-21-2019, 11:52 AM

I’m no math engineer, but I’m sure one could calculate the difference. There is probably even an app for that.

But, if the axles were where I think they should be, based on proper pin weight or just a visual reference, that extra 1’ 4” would eliminate my ugly fenders.

porthole
03-21-2019, 11:56 AM
I would believe substantial as the balance point would change lifting the weights off the pin. That was exactly why I asked the fellow that the Mobile Suites trailers had such heavy pin weights and much more than any other trailers we were weighing at the time. People were buying bigger and bigger trucks to be able to carry that high pin weights. For short time they added the third axle, only just placed it behind the second axle, causing higher pin weights!
Stacey

If you look at any of the newer DRV’s with the full rounded nose, the front is probably 1-2 feet longer then many other 5th wheels

porkchop
03-21-2019, 01:13 PM
When you are not comparing model# to same model#, is any of that accurate?

Bill

Cummins12V98
03-22-2019, 08:43 AM
"For short time they added the third axle, only just placed it behind the second axle, causing higher pin weights!"

I asked about adding a third axle and all they would have done is add it behind my back axle giving ZERO relief to my pin weight.

I have seen the rigs with the cut out fenders, NOT a FAN!!! I have to say even with the 5,700+# pin I would prefer it over having the fenders chopped!

https://i.imgur.com/jgd1lVal.jpg

porthole
03-22-2019, 09:40 AM
"For short time they added the third axle, only just placed it behind the second axle, causing higher pin weights!"

I asked about adding a third axle and all they would have done is add it behind my back axle giving ZERO relief to my pin weight.

I have seen the rigs with the cut out fenders, NOT a FAN!!! I have to say even with the 5,700+# pin I would prefer it over having the fenders chopped!

https://i.imgur.com/jgd1lVal.jpg

And if you saw them up close you would say WTF.
Especially the left side, they don’t even put the cut off back on.
And, they are cut after installation, by what looks like a sloppy sawzall cut, jagged edge and not even plumb.

The fenders were on my list and all DRV did was try and square them up, and on the left side that means they took almost a 1/2” off making them look worse.

I know we don’t have they same models as was pointed out ��, but side by side I’d bet the rigs are structurally about the same.

Having been at the DRV factory 6 times now I would venture to guess all the trailer models in the 40-41’ range are the same frame.

Same with the 3 axle models. I’m not including toyhaulers in the observation.

When you look at frames in the plant, all the main mechanics are in the same locations.

porkchop
03-22-2019, 10:38 AM
"For short time they added the third axle, only just placed it behind the second axle, causing higher pin weights"!

I do know for a fact that DRV will not currently add a third axle to any rig designed as a two axle. And if they ever did it would be a big big surprise to me.

If you look at the bar code tag that is in the step area on your rig it will tell you what floor plan your specific frame was suitable for. Most are suitable for maybe two. My Santa Fe frame is only suitable for this floor plan. YEMV

Bill

MTK46
03-22-2019, 04:54 PM
I know were not talking apples to apples but my 2011 36 RSSB3 pin to center of front axle is 22' 5". Pin to front of cap 6". I'm right at 38' overall. 12' rear axle to end. I guess that's why mine doesn't move around when parked.

Cummins12V98
03-23-2019, 10:52 AM
I honestly think everyone has a different impression or what it means to have the RV moving around.

All I know is mine is much more stable with the blocks under the landing gear.

MTK46
03-23-2019, 11:08 AM
I don't disagree with you. I posted my measurements to show how much less over hang I have then yours. Less over hang = less leverage.

porthole
03-23-2019, 11:49 AM
I honestly think everyone has a different impression or what it means to have the RV moving around.

All I know is mine is much more stable with the blocks under the landing gear.

We all have different sensitivities to movement.

Our last trailer only shook or moved when the dogs were rough housing in the garage or the Splendide was doing it’s 1200 rpm thing. Both expected.

This trailer. You can’t walk around without a shake.

Just getting out of my recliner, which is electric and very smooth - wait - scratch that, my just repaired last month recliner stopped working a week ago.

Just getting out of my wife’s recliner and walking to the fridge can wake her in the bedroom. I think using the same jacks on our 20k+ rigs that are used on the 14-15 k rigs is under sizing them. That and my rear jacks could probably be moved back 3’.

Moving the jacks is something I’m going to ask Lippert to do. There is plenty of real estate to weld on new pads.

Cummins12V98
03-24-2019, 06:20 AM
porthole, I wonder if it's possible that the computer in the leveling system is not taking enough load off the wheels? Have you tried after hitting auto level mechanically raising the front and rear a bit?

I place one of the levels (see pic below) above the controls and one on the side of the propane box, so I have a mechanical way to re level or temp level as shown in pic above when staying hitched. I am picky so I used my Laser Level and got all 4 corners of the bottom of the frame the same dimension above the Laser Line. Then go thru the procedure to re set "LEVEL". Then I used Permatex Black Gasket Maker to attach using tape to hold them in place while adhesive cured.

I did remove the stick on tape.

So by doing this you could manually hit extend front a bit then back extend until it's level again.

https://i.imgur.com/dnYeK3Fl.jpg

porthole
03-25-2019, 10:41 AM
My almost 4’ long “signature” is forever embedded into his driveway.

Hah ! Only 4’

I have a trailer hitch scar of 6-8”.

My hitch wheels leave marks but it is mostly just the steel wheels crushing all the high spots. I expect it to look less noticeable when I power wash this year.

The boards on the sides were my previous method of getting into my driveway.

MTK46
03-25-2019, 02:49 PM
We all have different sensitivities to movement.

Our last trailer only shook or moved when the dogs were rough housing in the garage or the Splendide was doing it’s 1200 rpm thing. Both expected.

This trailer. You can’t walk around without a shake.

Just getting out of my recliner, which is electric and very smooth - wait - scratch that, my just repaired last month recliner stopped working a week ago.

Just getting out of my wife’s recliner and walking to the fridge can wake her in the bedroom. I think using the same jacks on our 20k+ rigs that are used on the 14-15 k rigs is under sizing them. That and my rear jacks could probably be moved back 3’.

Moving the jacks is something I’m going to ask Lippert to do. There is plenty of real estate to weld on new pads.

This is the first 5th wheel I've had with auto leveling. I find it interesting that all the others 5th wheels had rear stabilizers at the REAR of the coach.
I agree if the rear hydraulic jacks were moved back it would have to cut down on movement.

porkchop
03-25-2019, 03:25 PM
They are "leveling", not "stabilizing" jacks. Therefore their placement. I have seen people, not necessarily DRV, install stabilizer jacks to the rear of the frame.

On my rig it is 23'10" from the pin to the front axle, and 14'6" from the rear axle to the rear of frame and the last leveling jack is 3' behind the last axle. Thus 11'6" between the last jack and rear of frame. No way they could move the jacks that far rear and not twist the frame leveling.

We put blocks like cummins made under the jacks and do not have a problem with wiggle. My front jacks are 100% retracted, just sitting on the blocks and the rear are around 5-6" extended. If we were to get unlucky and start getting really unlevel sites I think I would get a set on manual scissor jacks and install them at the rear for stabilization. YEMV Good luck with your choices.

Bill

porthole
03-25-2019, 03:37 PM
‘Stability’ is an advertised feature.
And in detailed literature it is documented why the jacks are angled.

And the other documented feature is that the controls will not allow the frame to twist.

porkchop
03-25-2019, 03:46 PM
So? They also advertise it as a 5th wheel. Mine has 6. Some only 4

Bill

Cummins12V98
03-26-2019, 09:09 AM
To be honest my 07.5 DRV with 4 was more stable then current 16. Biggest reason is the front cylinders have a sieve around the piston that allows side to side movement. My 07.5 had front jacks that were large versions of the rear jacks.

My Machinist friend will look into a way to increase stability of those selves possibly with some sort of UMHV spacer.

Like I said I would manually extend the front and rear a bit and see if that helps.

porkchop, did you copy my blocks???

porkchop
03-26-2019, 10:00 AM
Cummins=No, just the idea. I purchased some 8x10 wood posts from a road contractor and cut them 12" long and put handles on them. $6 and I was happy. If I ever need to replace them I will copy yours.

Bill

Cummins12V98
03-26-2019, 10:43 AM
Cummins=No, just the idea. I purchased some 8x10 wood posts from a road contractor and cut them 12" long and put handles on them. $6 and I was happy. If I ever need to replace them I will copy yours.

Bill

I was messing with you! If you do decide to go like mine I will give you all the dimensions and some other details if you want.

Just built a set with another DRV owner recently.

labarn
03-26-2019, 11:17 PM
I saw today a triple axle very large MS for sale at Palm Creek golf and rv resort in Casa Grande ax.

Labarn

Begger
07-08-2019, 10:29 AM

Anything ever come of this? Kinda been hoping for a run down of what this floor plan has to offer.

Tenbrooks
07-08-2019, 02:50 PM
Porthole,

Given the numbers for your '19 39DBRS3 (4,080 pin / 20,680 trailer), the pin % = 19.7

My '19 40KSSB4 CAT Scale numbers (3,920 pin / 19,850 trailer), the pin % = 19.8 Our tow vehicle is an '18 Ford F-350 dually and the CAT scale weighed our total rig with my wife and me in the cab and a full load of diesel (48 gals) at 29,500 lb.

Fairly close pin percentages I'd say.

I don't have a generator or fuel but I am counting (2) 40lb propane bottles at 75% full each and (2) Trojan T-105 batteries at 130 lb total. Estimate water, including tanks and hot water heater total = 28 gal. Trailer empty = 18,330 lb. + contents 1,520 lb. = 19,850 lb. loaded. Unless you're equipped with an on-board generator + fuel and any other extra heavy items, I'm thinking that a pin weight percentage of 20-21% should be a good number. With a generator and other heavy items located near the front of the camper, I'd estimate a pin weight greater than 21% of the total loaded trailer weight. Not sure what that % is but you would certainly want to weigh the rig and get the actual weights. Be careful not to exceed the tow vehicles payload capacity. One thing for sure, DRV 5th wheels are heavy.

porthole
07-09-2019, 04:59 PM
Porthole,

Given the numbers for your '19 39DBRS3 (4,080 pin / 20,680 trailer), the pin % = 19.7

Those are not my numbers.
My pin at last weigh is 18.7%

Fairly close pin percentages I'd say.

I don't have a generator or fuel but I am counting (2) 40lb propane bottles at 75% full each and (2) Trojan T-105 batteries at 130 lb total. Estimate water, including tanks and hot water heater total = 28 gal. Trailer empty = 18,330 lb. + contents 1,520 lb. = 19,850 lb. loaded. Unless you're equipped with an on-board generator + fuel and any other extra heavy items, I'm thinking that a pin weight percentage of 20-21% should be a good number. With a generator and other heavy items located near the front of the camper, I'd estimate a pin weight greater than 21% of the total loaded trailer weight. Not sure what that % is but you would certainly want to weigh the rig and get the actual weights. Be careful not to exceed the tow vehicles payload capacity. One thing for sure, DRV 5th wheels are heavy.

I do have a generator (diesel with a 28 gallon fuel tank) 175 pounds of batteries all the way in the front closet, two full propane tanks and I am under 19%.

porthole
07-09-2019, 05:00 PM
Anything ever come of this? Kinda been hoping for a run down of what this floor plan has to offer.

As far as what?

porthole
07-09-2019, 05:03 PM
So a few things were determined at the National rally by Lippert.
First is that DRV should have changed my hydraulic pump out per Lippert's instructions and case number instead of ignoring the problems and just adding fluid - overfilling my tank.

Lippert Looked into the rear jack postion and agree they are too far forward.

My front jacks are actually angled towards the rear slightly.

No wonder our trailer shakes so much, an upside down triangle has no stability.

Begger
07-10-2019, 01:40 AM

This is the quote I was referring to when I asked if anything ever came of your survey of 39DBRS’s.

OCB
07-10-2019, 08:04 AM
Lippert Looked into the rear jack position and agree they are too far forward.

So what is called for in the future? Are the rear jacks going to get moved, what is recommended distance?

Thanks Clay

Cummins12V98
07-10-2019, 09:50 AM
"Lippert Looked into the rear jack postion and agree they are too far forward."

Lippert built the frame. Why wasn't this corrected in the engineering stage? Same with the angled front jacks.

Cummins12V98
07-10-2019, 09:57 AM
I can tell you with the front sleeved jacks they have SLOP in them. With 3" risers our rig did have some movement. After adding my Custom made blocks the rig is very solid, why??? because the rams are extended much less and are more stable.

https://i.imgur.com/N301wH0l.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Byufe61l.jpg

porthole
07-11-2019, 10:50 AM

As far as what?

This is the quote I was referring to when I asked if anything ever came of your survey of 39DBRS’s.

so ......

I don't remember the exact reason for that comment, but it probably relates to axle placement and fenders.

I only saw 2019 and 2017 39DBRS3's at the last two rallies, and none on the assembly line in Howe (was mostly toy haulers that day).

Axle placement was the same, as well as crudely cut fenders.

What I did see when comparing models:
The Houston is a longer, 3 axle version of the 39DBRS3.

From the rear edge of the entry door, the two trailers are identical going forward.

All the extra length (about 4') is from the door back.
I don't recall the weight difference, but the brochure lists a dry wight of 16,800 for the 39 and 19,700 for the Houston.

The Houston is 2,900 pounds heavier

GWR for the 39 is 21,000 - two 9,000 pound axles plus 3,000 for the pin.
GWR for the Houston is 24,000 - three 8,000 pound axles, no pin added.

Comparing the Houston to the 39.
The Houston front axle is located about where the rear axle is located on the 39.

Crude pictures but you get the idea.

Also, the angle of attack for the Houston is less since the rear axle is much closer to the rear cap, trailer hitch.

porthole
07-11-2019, 10:52 AM
"Lippert Looked into the rear jack postion and agree they are too far forward."

Lippert built the frame. Why wasn't this corrected in the engineering stage? Same with the angled front jacks.

Whose excuse do you want to use?

Lippert - we build them to DRV specs
DRV - just a run around

porthole
07-11-2019, 10:54 AM
So what is called for in the future? Are the rear jacks going to get moved, what is recommended distance?

Thanks Clay

I doubt anything will change.

How many people do you know that prior to purchase got in the rig on jacks and walked, bounced around to check stability?

And after seeing how much movement there was walked away from the deal?

Begger
07-11-2019, 11:57 AM
Thanks Duane. All good information!!!

Cummins12V98
07-12-2019, 09:53 AM
Whose excuse do you want to use?

Lippert - we build them to DRV specs
DRV - just a run around

I think we called that a "CircleJerk" in Construction. ;)

Cummins12V98
07-12-2019, 09:54 AM
The first two pics show WHY triple axle DRV will have much less pin weight.

porthole
07-12-2019, 10:31 AM

Less pin weight?
If the fulcrum is the front axle the 2 axle version should have less weight at the pin.

porkchop
07-12-2019, 01:01 PM
Having had both 2 and 3 axle units I can assure you the 3 axle units have a much lower pin weight. My condolences to Mr. Folcrum.

Bill

porthole
07-12-2019, 01:39 PM

Can you explain?

Suppose .....
The 2 axle and 3 axle are exactly the same layout and weight from the door forward.

Guesstimates here
Center of 2 axle's front axle to pin = 22'
Center of 3 axle's front axle to pin = 24'

If there was 10,000 pounds of weight from the door forward, how would that equal less weight on the pin with a longer distance with the 3 axle versus the 2 axle?

porkchop
07-12-2019, 02:56 PM
Suppose all you want. I'm telling you what reality is.

Bill

Cummins12V98
07-12-2019, 06:29 PM
Distance from pin to center of front axle is MUCH closer on a triple axle.

porthole
07-12-2019, 06:39 PM
Distance from pin to center of front axle is MUCH closer on a triple axle.

Not comparing the Houston to the 39DBRS3

wingnut60
07-12-2019, 07:02 PM
IF the front axle is indeed the fulcrum, then there if more acreage behind it on the Houston then on the 39er, thus putting the fat guy on that end of the seesaw...and lifting the thin guy...triples have less pin weight normally.
What I would have liked is a 41' KSSB4 with 3 axles....
This depletes my knowledge of physics.

Stripit
07-12-2019, 07:46 PM
Yes, with years of weighing Mobile Suites trailers, every 3 axle trailer had much lower pin weights than the 2 axle trailers did.

porthole
07-12-2019, 08:22 PM
Yes, with years of weighing Mobile Suites trailers, every 3 axle trailer had much lower pin weights than the 2 axle trailers did.

And what is “much lower” ?

At 22,000 pounds I have 4200 pin.

Stripit
07-12-2019, 11:41 PM
I no longer have all the weigh sheets from all the actual weighs.

porkchop
07-13-2019, 08:16 AM
My 44' 3 axle Santa Fe weighs in at 23,740 lbs with a pin of 3,620 lbs. Gross weight truck-trailer fully loaded with 2 people full of water & propane= 32,370 lbs.

Bill

porthole
07-13-2019, 09:31 AM
And how is that relative to my conversation comparing the Houston to the 39DBRS3 ?

And if you compare the Santa Fe to the Houston which are almost identical from the door forward, your lower pin weight could be why? Because the Santa Fe axles are farther forward then the Houston ?

Or maybe I have seen the wrong pictures of a Santa Fe

porkchop
07-13-2019, 09:37 AM
Don't know why=don't care. You are the one who said a 3 axle would, should, have a higher pin weight. Just showing you are wrong. Live with it.

Bill

porthole
07-13-2019, 10:06 AM
Don't know why=don't care. You are the one who said a 3 axle would, should, have a higher pin weight. Just showing you are wrong. Live with it.

Bill

For the most part I have been just ignoring all your pompous, condescending comments for some time.
You may have been successful with your life and career but you obviously missed the DC book.

My conversation is based on two models.
You bring a third or more into the mix.
And we all know you bought 6 new DRV’s but I could care less, I only care about one DRV.

And since you don’t care or know, your santa fe axles are farther forward then the same sized Houston.
At least they are on current models. Explain the pin weight differences between those two 3 axle rigs.

3 axle Houston’s have a higher pin weight then 2 axle 39DBRS3’s That’s fact, not hearsay. .

And who is Mr. Folcrum anyway ?

Just showing you are wrong, live with it.

Cummins12V98
07-13-2019, 12:06 PM
Not comparing the Houston to the 39DBRS3

I know NOTHING about the models you mention, I was stating info based on the previous first two pics as an example of why a triple axle will have a lower percentage of pin weight compared to a double axle.

Cummins12V98
07-13-2019, 12:11 PM
And what is “much lower” ?

At 22,000 pounds I have 4200 pin.

You have 19% pin and MOST two axle DRV's loaded for full time living are well North of 20%. My RV 39TKSB3 weighs 23,000# and my pin of 5,750# is right at 25%.

My RV weighs 1,000# more than yours but my pin is 1,550# more than yours.