PDA

View Full Version : 5500 Watt Onan dies after 30 min.

MTK46
01-22-2019, 10:43 AM
So this past weekend used my new to us 2011 MS 36 RSSB3 for the first time boondocking. We were out in Quartzsite.
Found some minor items to fix which are not a big deal. Main item was the generator. It would start up fine switch over & provide power. After 30 min. or so would start running slower & then die like ran out of propane. No codes were set. Both tanks full of propane. Fridge, stove, water heater all working fine. Restart generator fired right up. 20 min. later same thing dies like lack of propane. Start it again & 15-20 min later does it again. Next morning fire it up in the morning & same thing.
Ideas, I'm :confused:

Notanlines
01-22-2019, 10:58 AM
You will need to provide a heat source to. Wrap around your supplying propane tank. It is freezing up on you. It will work fine then.

MTK46
01-22-2019, 11:27 AM
You will need to provide a heat source to. Wrap around your supplying propane tank. It is freezing up on you. It will work fine then.

I did notice the first time, the using tank had ice around the bottom 1/4 of the tank. Did the stove work fine because it isn't using as much propane? Temp out side was in the low 50's at the time.

This is the first propane generator I've ever had.

Notanlines
01-22-2019, 12:04 PM
Mike, this is the voice of experience talking. We bought a tank heater on line, $99, no tax, freight included. I don't know anywhere near as much about RV'ing as a few of our members, but this problem has reared its ugly head one too many times with our rig. The blanket heater solved all the problems.
Here is a similar heater:
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200653658_200653658?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Heaters%20%26%20Stoves%20%2B%20Fireplac es%20%3E%20Heater%20%26%20Stove%20%2B%20Fireplace% 20Accessories&utm_campaign=WarmGuard&utm_content=50721&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhoKU6P2B4AIViR6GCh1YFAR7EAQYAiAB EgJlT_D_BwE

MTK46
01-22-2019, 12:49 PM
Thanks Jim. I just didn't think it was that cold to cause a problem like that. Being from the desert I don't RV in cold temperatures.

Suite Sweets
01-22-2019, 10:39 PM
MTK - your problem and the offered solutions raises some interesting questions.

1) For those that ordered Arctic Packages, should the manufacturer have provided a 120 outlet in the tank storage compartment(s), for the tank blankets ?

2) Propane vendors add butane to their propane - I thought to make the propane more flammable in cold weather. But maybe the butane is to alter the freezing issue cited above. Advise to RVers headed north in cold weather, is to get propane on arrival, rather than purchase in the warmer weather in the south - that propane dealers alter the ratio of the two gases, again, with more butane in the north.

porkchop
01-23-2019, 09:32 AM
Needing a tank heater at 50 degrees? My house tank sits outside in minus 30 and is not heated. Works just fine. Construction sites around the country use propane heaters all winter and have no problems.
I have heard of utility companies up north mixing butane and natural gas just to stretch supply but have never heard of a north-south blend of propane. Called my northern supplier this morning and asked him. His answer was "what"?

Having an "ice" line is completely normal. It just shows the gas level in the tank during usage. Never heard of it happening at 50 degrees though.

Bill

Suite Sweets
01-23-2019, 10:49 AM
Porkchop - glad you investigated a little. Looks like I got it in reverse - more butane in the summer, less in the winter. Here's the link I read from

https://www.seminck.be/en/our-products/gas-cylinders/when-to-use-butane-and-when-to-use-propane

and the article agrees with your questioning any issue in temps of 50 degrees and higher. I'm afraid there is an issue with the generator.

MTK46
01-23-2019, 02:55 PM
I'm going to run the generator Saturday in the day time at home. Weather should be in the low 70's. That should pin down what direction to go.

Walt
01-23-2019, 06:03 PM
Does the Generator have a "Low oil shut off"? Check the oil level.

MTK46
01-23-2019, 07:56 PM
Does the Generator have a "Low oil shut off"? Check the oil level.

Walt I'll have to double check that. If that was the problem I think it would shut down fast like you turned it off. It slowly died out.

MTK46
01-23-2019, 08:02 PM
New update when I got home I did some more checking. Come to find out my propane regulator valve at the tanks is bad. Wouldn't switch over automatically. Manually switch to the tank that is full & still shows red. I connected that full tank to the other inside tank hose & ran the generator for a hour. Was in the mid 60's. Ordered a new valve from eBay.
I know it's bad & thinking that should fix my generator problem.

Suite Sweets
01-23-2019, 08:05 PM
good, an easy, and inexpensive fix.

Notanlines
01-24-2019, 03:41 AM
Mike, thanks for the update. It's how all of us learn.

morzio
01-28-2019, 10:34 PM
I too was there this weekend-- I had no problem with my generator... I found that if I only ran one tank no icing problem existed.. might try that..

MTK46
01-29-2019, 03:06 PM
I too was there this weekend-- I had no problem with my generator... I found that if I only ran one tank no icing problem existed.. might try that..

That was my problem. As the tank I was running on that iced up was running out of propane. Switch over regulator didn't. So generator quite from lack of fuel.