PDA

View Full Version : Door slamming each other - FIX

Suite Sweets
01-11-2019, 07:54 PM
Almost all of the double cabinet doors in my DRV hit each other when closed. The horizontal adjustment on the hinges, does not have enough adjustment, to correct the issue. The hinges are manufactured by Blum (that's what the 'b' stands for on the hinge) and they are made for a door that overlays the cabinet by 1-1/4" (that's stamped into the hinge). To correct the problem, I ordered 2 (each) of 1-5/16" overlay Salice hinges for each door of a set of double doors.

The Salice hinge has the same hole pattern as the Blum hinge, so all I needed to do was unscrew the Blum hinge and screw on the Salice hinge. I only changed one door in each set of 2 doors - moving that door away from the other door of it's pair, by 1/16". Moving the door over, may require re-adjusting the catch strike. Any time I had a bank of several double doors in a row, I made sure to move over every other door - didn't want to move two adjacent doors, of a different pair, closer together.

What caused the problem was that either the doors were made slightly too wide, or, the hinges installed were wrong to begin with. At the same time as I swapped the hinges, I changed some of the hinge elevations on the face frame. Prior, a door hit an A/C vent, another door hit the exhaust fan frame, yet a 3rd door hit the drawer below it, if the drawer was open while opening the door. It takes time, which DRV didn't want to invest in a manufacturing "get it out the door" environment. But for an owner, it's a great way to spend an afternoon.

Incidentally, those screws that adjust the hinge are not Phillips head screws. You can use a Phillips driver, but the right tool is a 'Pozi' driver. You can exert much more torque in a Pozi screw. Order the driver with your hinges.

Cummins12V98
01-12-2019, 09:23 AM
#2 square drive "Roberts" works well. I advise confirming the screws are even long enough to support the doors. Replaced many on our 16 DRV.

Doors hitting would have been VERY unlikely at the factory. Have you stored your RV without heat ?

Suite Sweets
01-12-2019, 10:43 AM
Cummins - the 2014 is new-to-us. I think until last spring, it was lived in full time. That said, I think you're alluding to humidity making the doors swell. It was in Florida, a state know for it's humidity. Whichever, the fix is there for those that need it.

The Roberts driver works for the screws that secure the hinges to the frame. But the adjust screws are, as stated, pozi-screws

Cummins12V98
01-12-2019, 11:01 AM
"The Pozidriv screw is an advanced version of the Phillips screw but the key difference is that: Phillips drivers have an intentional angle on the flanks and rounded corners so they will cam out of the slot before a power tool will twist off the screw head. The Pozidriv screws and drivers have straight sided flanks."

Thanks I learned something new! I have adjusted literally thousands of cabinet hinges over my 35+ year career and I always used a #2 "Phillips" screwdriver. I am sure in other applications it DOES matter but so people know they don't have to go out and buy a Pozi to adjust their cabinet doors.

YES moisture can cause such damage especially if the wood is Maple as our 07.5 was and it suffered from the doors swelling then shrinking resulting in loose door panels and outer frame joint shrinkage.

Good idea on the hinge offset.

Yes I had the attachment screws in my head!

Suite Sweets
01-12-2019, 12:00 PM
In addition to the straight sided flanks of the Pozi screw, there are 8, not 4, of the flanks. While those additional 4 flanks can be seen in the screw head, it is more readily seen on the driver. The primary point of contact for torquing the screw is the big 4 (hence, a phillips working), the other 4 contribute to the ability to torque without the driver lifting out of the screw head

wingnut60
01-12-2019, 08:12 PM
Never have I learned so much about screwdrivers and screw heads...not being sarcastic, very interesting.

porthole
01-13-2019, 09:14 AM
I have every double door going out of alignment constantly. Seems like every other week I am adjusting them.

They do not hold the setting. Mine are not Blum, which are about the best made. All others are copies.

Adjustments are the minor problem though. I would guess 90% of the doors in our trailer are splitting at the corners.

I don’t know when DRV went to picture framing the doors over traditional rail & stile construction, but it doesn’t work.

Suite Sweets
01-13-2019, 10:03 AM
Porthole - Agreed about Blum, and also Salice. Others compete on the basis of price - discounted from the brand leaders.
Consider to order two hinges. See if the drilling pattern is the same. If so, you can swap out the hinges easily for a name brand hinge.
Re the splitting of the corners. As Wingnut60 alluded to re winter storage, significant changes in humidity is not good for cabinetry. Heated, unoccupied trailers in the winter make for low humidity. Summer humidity, in un-A/C'd trailers make for moist conditions in the trailer. May be too late for your cabinetry, but you can probably make the splits less noticeable with a very soft touch-up stick - much like a crayon. Fill in that split with an appropriate color. Lowe's/HD have them in the paint section.

Cummins12V98
01-13-2019, 11:22 AM
I have every double door going out of alignment constantly. Seems like every other week I am adjusting them.

They do not hold the setting. Mine are not Blum, which are about the best made. All others are copies.

Adjustments are the minor problem though. I would guess 90% of the doors in our trailer are splitting at the corners.

I don’t know when DRV went to picture framing the doors over traditional rail & stile construction, but it doesn’t work.

Check the length of the screws holding the hinge to the face frame. Many of mine were fine thread 1/2".

porthole
01-13-2019, 11:26 AM
My doors started opening at the corners within a month of being new, May 30, 2018
For the first 5-6 months the trailer was used, so temp was fairly consistent.

Raised panel doors properly made do not have the panel ‘fixed’ in the frame, they have to float. Mine appeared to be glued in.

My gaps or splits vary from just visible to being able to insert a dime.
Touch up sticks are not going to work.

Poor construction technique.

porthole
01-13-2019, 11:30 AM
Check the length of the screws holding the hinge to the face frame. Many of mine were fine thread 1/2".

Those are fine on ours, and they actually appear to be the correct fastener for the application for a change.

I’ve only removed one to see, the door hinge that blocks removing the breaker panel cover.
But the screw is about 1.25-1.5 inch long.

Suite Sweets
01-13-2019, 11:38 AM
Cummins - fine thread is preferred when driving into hardwood, as are our cabinets.

Porthole - yes, they should have used space balls (Widget Co.) around the edges. Would have allowed the panel to expand and contract - squashing the resilient balls when expanding. My doors also are glued rigidly, but I have no cracks at joints.

porthole
01-13-2019, 11:59 AM
Cummins - fine thread is preferred when driving into hardwood, as are our cabinets.

Porthole - yes, they should have used space balls (Widget Co.) around the edges. Would have allowed the panel to expand and contract - squashing the resilient balls when expanding. My doors also are glued rigidly, but I have no cracks at joints.

Fine for hardwood, coarse for soft wood.

How are your fames made?
Rail & stile or picture frame?

This is one of dozens.

Traveling Home
01-13-2019, 04:29 PM
Our early model 2017 has rail and stile cabinetry. Wonder when they changed. I do know somebody that has a 2014.5 Elite that there is an unstained panel showing on the raised floating [panel section. About a 1/8th line around most of the doors. Looks classy having dark cabinetry with a raw wood "Trim" line...

OCB
01-13-2019, 07:03 PM

I had a similar problem. It turned out the door was to big (heavy) for the hinges so I added a couple extra hinges to the doors. No problem since.

Clay 2016 MS 3PS3

Cummins12V98
01-14-2019, 10:51 AM
"Cummins - fine thread is preferred when driving into hardwood, as are our cabinets."

I understand that BUT 1/2" is NOT long enough to hold the doors on for long.

FYI Cherry is a SOFT hardwood, no where near as hard as Maple or Oak as an example.

Cummins12V98
01-14-2019, 10:53 AM
The pictured doors are not possible with a lapped joint as mine are.

porthole that sucks! I would file a warranty claim with DRV.

https://i.imgur.com/5qXul08l.jpg

porthole
01-14-2019, 07:28 PM
The pictured doors are not possible with a lapped joint as mine are.

porthole that sucks! I would file a warranty claim with DRV.

https://i.imgur.com/5qXul08l.jpg

These are your doors?

This is the proper way to make cabinet doors.
Routed rail and stile with a floating raised panel.

My panels are fixed to the frame.

I dropped the trailer off in Howe this morning with my 100+ item list.

Cummins12V98
01-15-2019, 09:34 AM
These are your doors?

This is the proper way to make cabinet doors.
Routed rail and stile with a floating raised panel.

My panels are fixed to the frame.

I dropped the trailer off in Howe this morning with my 100+ item list.

YES they are my doors.

WOW I guess I am not the only one with a 100 item list.

Pretty funny I was told I was nit pick from some of the RV Forum members. I simply made a list backed with pictures.

I HIGHLY advise you PERSONALLY walk thru the rig with EdFry AKA "Mr NO".

I HIGHLY advise you get him to personally say YES or NO to whether he is going to deal with EACH item.

It all seems good until the last day and the Tech has to tell you they are not allowed to fix "THAT".

Good luck!!!

wingnut60
01-15-2019, 10:27 AM
Duane,
Wish you great luck with the DRV factory--will be very interesting to see how it comes out, and if they are 'great to work with.'
Joe

golf_bears
01-16-2019, 09:13 AM
Wow, 100 plus list of issues. Would like to see the list. Is it possible to get a copy?

porthole
01-16-2019, 09:49 AM
My arrival at the DRV repair facility early Monday was a bit odd.
Surprisingly, there were no customer rigs in the camp-lot. And none of the sites had my name on the “reserved for plaques”

Doors all locked. Finally someone came out (Kevin ?) and asked what I was doing here - not on the schedule. What? “You better get someone in charge, because I just drove 700+ miles through 2 snow squalls and low single digit temps for an appointment I have confirmed in writing November 30th!”

It got worked out the rig wheeled in about 30 minutes later, after break.

I HIGHLY advise you PERSONALLY walk thru the rig with EdFry AKA "Mr NO".

I HIGHLY advise you get him to personally say YES or NO to whether he is going to deal with EACH item.

Ed had a shop guy do the walk through. he seemed attenitive enough to my concerns. A couple of times mentioning how these fine rigs usually do not have such an extensive list. More then once I let him know at this price point, some of these things are just inexcusable. He seemed to think most items would be no issue at all to correct.

Although there was some push back by the shop supervisor to my complaint of missing coax to the dinette outside TV. ‘That’s a big job you know trying to run that coax from the ODS slide to the DS slide.’

And the point is? It’s supposed to be there per the DRV supplied schematic.
I specifically requested on the order to insure it was there and I need it to use my DirecTV and over the air antenna.

Duane,
Wish you great luck with the DRV factory--will be very interesting to see how it comes out, and if they are 'great to work with.'
Joe

Thanks, I’m expecting all to be good.

After all, after these rigs are built across the street (next to the newer Cruiser facility) the service center is where the puppy dogs and Unicorns are whelped and the rainbows are colorized before being shipped off to Oklahoma or Knoxville.

Cummins12V98
01-16-2019, 12:38 PM
Mark my words YA better get ED to confirm he will take care of aLL your items.

One of his best lines "I have seen worse on million dollar homes".

My pantry cabinet is WAYYY out of square and plumb, it's basically twisted. NO WAY the 4 doors can be adjusted so their faces can be flush.

Not to make you worry but we had Fred for 4 of the 5 days and Kevin on the last. NO comparison, Fred is a Craftsman and Kevin is the bull in the china closet that basically gets the job done.

Anyone questioning my ability to critique these nice guys I am a Journeyman/Master Carpenter and considered to be a FINE FINISH Craftsman.

I was a Construction Superintendent for many years so I know quality in workers, materials and craftsmanship.

I truly hope you are satisfied!!!

porthole
01-16-2019, 12:56 PM
I’m home now. Will have to wait until pickup time.

Cummins12V98
01-17-2019, 06:46 AM
I’m home now. Will have to wait until pickup time.

When they call to tell you it's ready request "Mr NO" be there to walk thru the rig with you.

porthole
01-17-2019, 07:06 AM
When they call to tell you it's ready request "Mr NO" be there to walk thru the rig with you.

If you followed along on the 🦄 🌈 + puppy 🐶 facebunk group you’d know you were mistaken about Mr.No

😜

Cummins12V98
01-17-2019, 07:09 AM
If you followed along on the 🦄 🌈 + puppy 🐶 facebunk group you’d know you were mistaken about Mr.No

😜

Too funny!!!

porthole
01-17-2019, 07:22 AM
Of all my items I’m really only expecting one push back, and that is because Kevin didn’t seem to pleased with having to do it.

My SAT coax was not installed from the ODS slide electronics cabinet to the DS slide outside TV.

‘That’s a big job, do you really need it?’

I told him him I knew it was a big job that’s why I didn’t fix it myself while fixing all the other things I have.

(The SAT wires in the roof were not installed correctly as well, but I was able to do a reasonable work around).

I told him shouldn’t be that big a deal since you’re probably going to pull the kitchen slide anyway - then I showed him how the entire fridge compartment was pulling away from the slide ��

wingnut60
01-17-2019, 09:19 AM
This is going to be interesting.....again, wishing you the best on the results. Big trip, poor time of year to be making it--right!

porthole
01-17-2019, 01:28 PM
This is going to be interesting.....again, wishing you the best on the results. Big trip, poor time of year to be making it--right!

Was dodging the snow, well trying to anyway. The high point elevation in PA (RT 80, Penfield) I drove through some snow squalls and the rest stops were not plowed.

Mid teens. Stopped at one of the Ohio rest stops. In case you don't know, the travel plazas on RT 80 through Ohio have RV sections. $20 for 24 hours. 50 amp.

Takes awhile to heat a trailer up after 400 miles of low 20's.
The first rest stop had no snow. The next one I stopped at I almost got stuck.

Hit a low temp of 2 degrees near the Ohio Indiana border.

But on the plus side, the DRV lot was empty.

I'll have to see if DRV comps any money back on expenses. I have $370 in fuel just for the trip out and back empty.

Heartland does, maybe that has trickled down.

Cummins12V98
01-18-2019, 11:58 AM
"I'll have to see if DRV comps any money back on expenses. I have $370 in fuel just for the trip out and back empty."

HAAAAAA, that will be a COLD day!

NOT fun driving in those conditions. Darn near lost it in an icy overpass that was curved. I felt everything shift.

https://i.imgur.com/YS2tTZJl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/e8p7GkAl.jpg

Jack in Alaska
01-21-2019, 07:36 PM
wingnut.....even us old guys learn some things.

I miss my old MS

Jack in Alaska

wingnut60
01-21-2019, 07:52 PM
My memory is so bad, every day is a learning experience...

Hope you are well.

Joe