PDA

View Full Version : Brand new RV owner!

EricHarmon
01-05-2019, 04:43 PM
At the Knoxville RV show today, I purchased my very first RV: A DRV Mobile Suites 36 RSSB3. The dealer has graciously agreed to keep the unit on his lot until I take possession of my tow vehicle, which will be mid-April.

My wife and I are so stoked about this!

Notanlines
01-05-2019, 05:13 PM
Congrat's, Eric. What are you planning for a TV?

EricHarmon
01-05-2019, 05:30 PM
Congrat's, Eric. What are you planning for a TV?

I'm such a noob. I was trying to figure out why you were asking about my television!! Planning to order the Ford F350 Diesel Dually 4.1 axle ratio, 14000 gross weight. It's rated for 30,000 pounds, and the RV has a gvwr of about 19,000.

Notanlines
01-05-2019, 07:19 PM
Eric, all these terms will come to you. You’ve got a first class rig. Any of the big three dually’s and Anything made by DRV you can’t go wrong. I would urge you to pay very, very close attention during your PDI and make sure your DW (dear wife) is there also! Most RVers are a team in setting up and packing up and she’ll need to understand the operations also.
We’re excited for you!

EricHarmon
01-05-2019, 07:27 PM
Eric, all these terms will come to you. You’ve got a first class rig. Any of the big three dually’s and Anything made by DRV you can’t go wrong. I would urge you to pay very, very close attention during your PDI and make sure your DW (dear wife) is there also! Most RVers are a team in setting up and packing up and she’ll need to understand the operations also.
We’re excited for you!

Thank you! I wouldn't dream of going without her. The dealer insists we spend a couple nights on their property to test it out after the walkthrough, so they can make any initial fixes. They're also going to give both of us driving instruction. This is a Christian dealer who was recommended by some people at our church and so far, we've been more than happy. We're spending those couple nights in the RV in about two weeks, then They're going to store the RV for us until our TV comes in, and then they suggested we spend a couple more nights on their lot at that time, just in case we have more questions and so on.

OCB
01-06-2019, 09:02 AM
At the Knoxville RV show today,

Are you still in Knoxville? if so try to get a weight of your new RV before leaving the area. What is most important is the pin weight. I think you will be OK with your shorter 36 RSSB3 but for my 2016 MS 38PS3 (Actually almost 41 feet long) PIN weight is 25% of the loaded 20,000 weight.

Yes take your time inspecting your unit. When we picked up our RV early Dec 2015, we did the the two nights on the lot and two nights at a RV park. It was the next 1,000 miles that we found other things. Problems which you don't normally look for like the black waste pipe under the Kitchen Sink not be glued at all joints. Or where abundance of staples were used that surface as walk about in your bare feet.

Yes, We like the owners and staff at RV's for Less and would buy there again but to many hidden things. Look for the big things like do the slides work smoothly and seals (do the seals block the daylight)?

Clay

EricHarmon
01-06-2019, 12:02 PM
Are you still in Knoxville? if so try to get a weight of your new RV before leaving the area. What is most important is the pin weight. I think you will be OK with your shorter 36 RSSB3 but for my 2016 MS 38PS3 (Actually almost 41 feet long) PIN weight is 25% of the loaded 20,000 weight.

Yes take your time inspecting your unit. When we picked up our RV early Dec 2015, we did the the two nights on the lot and two nights at a RV park. It was the next 1,000 miles that we found other things. Problems which you don't normally look for like the black waste pipe under the Kitchen Sink not be glued at all joints. Or where abundance of staples were used that surface as walk about in your bare feet.

Yes, We like the owners and staff at RV's for Less and would buy there again but to many hidden things. Look for the big things like do the slides work smoothly and seals (do the seals block the daylight)?

Clay

I will go double-check the pin weight on the physical unit in a couple hours!

Cummins12V98
01-06-2019, 12:56 PM
You WILL most likely be over your trucks GVWR, that freaks some out but that is only there for licensing/insurance purposes.

I highly advise looking closely at Ford and RAM before buying. I Tow HEAVY at 33k plus if I double tow at 35k.. True Medium Duty Cummins runs cool as does the True medium duty AISIN trans in extreme heat and 6+% mountain passes. Our DRV weighs 23k!

An option RAM only has that is simply great is the factory Rear Air Ride. Truck sets nearly level in the alt ride mode. Truck sets exactly the same with or without a load. I have FULL RAWR with a 5,750# pin that your RV will not even come close to. Don't waste your time with your RV's potential weight as both trucks till do just fine with weight concerns.

Price them out with similar options you will get FAR more truck with the RAM.

Go over with a fine toothed come on your RV and demand EVERY problem get's fixed BEFORE taking possession.

Cummins12V98
01-06-2019, 12:59 PM
"This is a Christian dealer who was recommended by some people at our church and so far, we've been more than happy."

I assume you are talking about Rolling Retreats??? If NOT I highly you really pay close attention to getting everything fixed.

EricHarmon
01-06-2019, 04:16 PM
You WILL most likely be over your trucks GVWR, that freaks some out but that is only there for licensing/insurance purposes.

I highly advise looking closely at Ford and RAM before buying. I Tow HEAVY at 33k plus if I double tow at 35k.. True Medium Duty Cummins runs cool as does the True medium duty AISIN trans in extreme heat and 6+% mountain passes. Our DRV weighs 23k!

An option RAM only has that is simply great is the factory Rear Air Ride. Truck sets nearly level in the alt ride mode. Truck sets exactly the same with or without a load. I have FULL RAWR with a 5,750# pin that your RV will not even come close to. Don't waste your time with your RV's potential weight as both trucks till do just fine with weight concerns.

Price them out with similar options you will get FAR more truck with the RAM.

Go over with a fine toothed come on your RV and demand EVERY problem get's fixed BEFORE taking possession.

If I go with the RAM, I'll definitely get the air ride. That's one of the big draws for me in favor of the RAM. That and the Cummins. And the fact that the price is lower than the Ford. Honestly, just about the only thing I don't like about the RAM is that the interior experience isn't as nice as the Ford. No panoramic sunroof, the leather isn't as nice as it is on the Ford, it's lacking some technology such as BLIS, and so on. But, the reliability/performance/safety of the truck outweighs creature comfort. I'm going to contact another RAM dealer tomorrow that came highly recommended to me, and I'm going to research both RAM and Ford online and test drive both again.

I seem to be vacillating like crazy, but right now I'm leaning towards the RAM again. It's frustrating pulling the plus on an ~$80k purchase when I don't have any prior experience with trucks!

We're going to be extremely picky when we go to get our RV. We're spending a night or two at the dealer's lot at that point, so that will give us additional time to try to go over everything. I'm sure I'll miss *something*, especially as it's our first RV, but I think I'll at least be confident that all the major stuff is ok. I'll even run the AC even though it's cold outside.

Cummins12V98
01-06-2019, 04:28 PM
"just about the only thing I don't like about the RAM is that the interior experience isn't as nice as the Ford. No panoramic sunroof, the leather isn't as nice as it is on the Ford,"

No Panoramic sunroof I will agree on that point. As far as leather have you looked at the LongHorn/Limited leather? KingRanch friends could not believe the quality of my leather.
RAM's interior design and quality IMHO is better and professional reviews say so.

Don't forget the AISIN trans as it is a TRUE MD trans. At a Chrysler RAM Rally when asked about the AISIN the Head West Coast Warranty Rep Stan Gozzi said "they don't break".

You can get a FULLY loaded RAM LongHorn or Limited for under 80K for sure. Money is not the reason to buy but it is a nice bonus.

Simply pop the hood of both trucks that alone should make you think.

I advise giving Dennis Dillon and Dave Smith a call, they should blow the others out of the water.

PM me if you want, I have owned RAM/Cummins trucks since 2001 with a combined 600k on the clocks.

Ford trucks are nice as are GM's but simply look at the guys that are independent RV/HotShotters. They choose RAM by far it's not even close.

Notanlines
01-06-2019, 05:47 PM
There is a reason that Ford sells the large numbers that they do at a cost of 8K to 10K higher at the top end. Dodge isn't even in the running. Nice truck? Most certainly. Great engine? The Cummins, yes. But let's not get too carried away.

Cummins12V98
01-06-2019, 06:17 PM
UH not Dodge since 2013 models came out, Officially RAM now. Not getting too carried away, what's that supposed to mean?

Like I said simply look at what the guys use for their livelihood.

porkchop
01-07-2019, 09:26 AM
If you want an unbiased opinion call Woodhouse Motors in Blair, Nebraska. They sell all 3 plus several foreign brands. The sales people will tell you that they sell ford for quality, gm for looks and ram for price. Same reason the "pros" buy them. Price.

Buy whatever catches your eye Good luck on your choice.

Bill

Cummins12V98
01-07-2019, 10:59 AM
Pro's buy RAM for the fact they hold up better in a commercial setting. Plain and simple economics. The Vast majority of Fords towing RV's for hire in Indiana are powered by 7.3's.

GM looks? Well I think everyone can agree you can thank Dodge/RAM for the revolution in looks and towing performance of all three.

Notanlines
01-08-2019, 04:34 AM
"Well I think everyone can agree you can thank Dodge/RAM for the revolution in looks and towing performance of all three"
If there is a more inane statement on this forum then I missed it.

Cummins12V98
01-08-2019, 08:31 AM
"Well I think everyone can agree you can thank Dodge/RAM for the revolution in looks and towing performance of all three"
If there is a more inane statement on this forum then I missed it.

Look at the 94 RAM introduction, YES a "Reveloution" in the pickup market. NOT just my opinion.

But hey instead of providing any useful info let's call names!

Ford had to use this 450 to compete with RAM's 3500 DRW since the 350 DRW could not come close to RAM's SAE numbers until they stepped up after around 17 years on the same platform and modernized their truck like RAM and GM.

wingnut60
01-08-2019, 09:02 AM
C'mon, Ron, when Ram/Dodge/Fiat ever outsells Ford, then you can crow about it...

Cummins12V98
01-08-2019, 10:15 AM
C'mon, Ron, when Ram/Dodge/Fiat ever outsells Ford, then you can crow about it...

Do I really need to compare McDonalds to Wendy's sales????? ;)

porkchop
01-08-2019, 12:18 PM
What you really need to do is learn the difference between opinion and fact.

Bill

Cummins12V98
01-08-2019, 01:13 PM
What you really need to do is learn the difference between opinion and fact.

Bill

WELL, provide something that opposes what i have stated.

I have not heard ONE reason to buy a Ford or GM over a RAM. I have given many fACTS along with opinion and experience.

But hey who wouldn't want a "SuperDuty"

terry and jo
01-08-2019, 02:02 PM
With all due respect, not all "hot-shotters" are using Ram trucks. I see a lot of those folks here in Oklahoma with Fords.

As for the Ram name, look on the door panel of a Ram truck and I'd bet money (and I'm not a betting man) that the label refers to "The Chrysler Group." Also, if one can buy a brand new Ram at anyplace other than an authorized Chrysler/Dodge dealer, I would be surprised. Sorry, but Ram is still a Dodge.

Terry

MTK46
01-08-2019, 03:20 PM

I have the same model MS with the vanity slide, generator & Canadian heating package. Mine is a 2011 and loaded weight is under the GVWR of 14k for my 2014 F-350. 4000 lbs of pin weight & that was with 100 gallons of water. Under my GCWR also.

Cummins12V98
01-09-2019, 06:28 AM
With all due respect, not all "hot-shotters" are using Ram trucks. I see a lot of those folks here in Oklahoma with Fords.

As for the Ram name, look on the door panel of a Ram truck and I'd bet money (and I'm not a betting man) that the label refers to "The Chrysler Group." Also, if one can buy a brand new Ram at anyplace other than an authorized Chrysler/Dodge dealer, I would be surprised. Sorry, but Ram is still a Dodge.

Terry

If we are dealing in FACTS here NO they are no longer Dodge as of the 2013 model year. LEGALLY they are RAM. Just the FACTS.

I am talking about independently OWNED plain and simple RAM owns this market.

Cummins12V98
01-09-2019, 06:32 AM
I have the same model MS with the vanity slide, generator & Canadian heating package. Mine is a 2011 and loaded weight is under the GVWR of 14k for my 2014 F-350. 4000 lbs of pin weight & that was with 100 gallons of water. Under my GCWR also.

My pin is a tad over that. At or under axle weights and under combined. Licensed for what my truck weighs.

I am guessing you must be VERY close, do you have a weight slip with full fuel including transfer tank if you have one and you and passenger?

https://i.imgur.com/zyIjj82l.jpg

anijet
01-09-2019, 09:21 AM
If we are dealing in FACTS here NO they are no longer Dodge as of the 2013 model year. LEGALLY they are RAM. Just the FACTS.

I am talking about independently OWNED plain and simple RAM owns this market.

"Even though the Ram trucks are marketed separately from Dodge cars, former Ram Division President Fred Diaz stated, "Ram trucks will always and forever be Dodges. Ram will always have the Dodge emblem inside and outside and they will be 'vinned' (Vehicle Identification Number) as a Dodge."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ram_Trucks

porkchop
01-09-2019, 09:25 AM
"I am talking about independently OWNED plain and simple RAM owns this market."

More opinion unless you can provide facts. The "pros" who use ram are just like the "pros" who use Volvo. CHEAP throw a ways. And that is a fact.

Bill

Cummins12V98
01-09-2019, 10:51 AM
"Even though the Ram trucks are marketed separately from Dodge cars, former Ram Division President Fred Diaz stated, "Ram trucks will always and forever be Dodges. Ram will always have the Dodge emblem inside and outside and they will be 'vinned' (Vehicle Identification Number) as a Dodge."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ram_Trucks

NOT true, he is the FORMER prez so take what he says with a grain.

FACT is they have been RAM since 2013 and there is NOT a single place that says "Dodge" on a 13 or newer truck.

FACT my Dad's 12 RAM says Dodge in the sunglass holder at the center of the dash as did my 11. They WERE RAM then also but LEGALLY they were Dodge and that is why they had to have Dodge at least one place on the truck.

Cummins12V98
01-09-2019, 11:40 AM
"I am talking about independently OWNED plain and simple RAM owns this market."

More opinion unless you can provide facts. The "pros" who use ram are just like the "pros" who use Volvo. CHEAP throw a ways. And that is a fact.

Bill

Anyone paying attention driving our highways will see this to be true. I know you have been in the Elkhart area.

Yep my 98 12V my Son has now with 400k is a "CHEAP throw away". So it the 98 12V I sold a friends Son with nearly 400k.

I will be the first to admit Ford makes a nice truck, it's just the engines since the 6.9 and 7.3 that are the issue with me. The 6.7 has been a problem for many with the denial of many injection pump warranty claims. Seems they may have fixed the issue since I have not heard of much lately. GM got so tired of paying out claims on their Diesel with the same Bosch pump they recently have gone with a DENSO brand pump. Another negative for ME is the engine has FAR more moving parts and is much more complicated.

NOT saying Dodge or RAM's are perfect but you will see many more of them with extremely high mileage.

Visit "highmileage.cummins.com" Then under filters select milestone then 1,000,000 miles.

MTK46
01-09-2019, 12:03 PM
My pin is a tad over that. At or under axle weights and under combined. Licensed for what my truck weighs.

I am guessing you must be VERY close, do you have a weight slip with full fuel including transfer tank if you have one and you and passenger?

Yes I do just not with me here at work. I can tell you my gross total was 26,040 lbs. I have a shorter older MS then you do but it's the same model as the poster has bought. Not sure if mine has more options than his does though.

OneReallyOldGuy
01-14-2019, 05:47 PM

If you’ve got a 3500 you are seriously over gross on that truck.

SrFox
01-14-2019, 06:55 PM
Good advice above and congrats! Plan to stay a week at the dealer and leave early if you feel comfortable. That is a lot of rig with many systems. I know, we have one. Take your time and you will enjoy it as much as we do. We live full time in ours and travel about 15,000 miles a year all over the US and Canada.

sfsgm
01-15-2019, 02:04 AM
Ahhh, once again children in the play yard. No different than those in different military branches.

Get over yourselves.

rorr1821
01-15-2019, 07:29 AM
I had a 2016 DRV and 2016 Ram P/U 1 ton dually. The Ram is the best tow vehicle on the market. Almost all of your commercial people who tow trailers from Indiana manufacturing plants to dealers use Ram P/U.

You need to careful considerion to how you equip your truck with options. I recommend the air leveling system, puck system for the bed, Cummins HO engine, and the Aisin transmission as a minimum. The rear end ratio will determine your maximum legal tow weight. I would go with the 4.10. You can go to the web where Ram publishes charts showing all the spec’s.

Spec out your truck before you go to the dealer. DO NOT DEPEND ON ANYTHING A SALES PERSON TELLS YOU ABOUT WHAT YOU NEED. YOU TELL THEM WHAT YOU WANT. Do not compromises on what you need.

Ram just announced at the Detroit trade show that the new 3500 Ram P/U will tow 35,100 lbs when properly equipped. Ram P/U is a work horse.

Also do not take the word of the RV dealer or manufacture when it comes to weigh issues. Do not be deceived by a person or dealership claiming to be a Christian. I am a Christian and Bible talks about the wolves in sheep’s clothing. Make them take the unit to a scale. Remember the differance between the dry weight and the gross vehicle weigh determines your cargo carrying capacity. When you add water, cloths, food, passengers, propane, and stuff the weight adds up quick.

Enjoy your unit.

Ray

4happyfeet
01-15-2019, 07:44 AM
Hi, y'all. New to this forum, but not new to RVing. Just bought a 2019 F350 DRW, moving from a 2017 Ram 3500 DRW. The Ram had 3:73 rear end and I wanted to have 4:10. Was going to order new Ram, but got impatient and found this F350. I can tell you the immediate difference to me has been the ride quality. When I took DW for he first ride, I asked her what her first impression was. She said "This rides like my Cadillac". Also moved from 2015 Redwood 38RL to 2019 41 RKSB4, which we pick up this coming Friday, so can't say how towing is going yet. The GVWR on the MS is 17,800, so should be no problem for the F350. My two cents: my impression is that the working guys do pick Ram, but having driven both, the F350 feels more refined. We'll see!

wingnut60
01-15-2019, 08:04 AM
4happyfeet,
Glad to have you here. The Suites will be a great unit, and the 350 will tow it just fine.
One minor item--might check the GVWR on that unit--you may be confusing the 'dry weight' with the gross weight. GVWR on that trailer should be 21000...
And watch the clearances on the bed to trailer when hitched, especially in off-level sharp backing.

You buy from ExploreUSA in Denton?

Cummins12V98
01-15-2019, 09:16 AM
If you’ve got a 3500 you are seriously over gross on that truck.

HA, pease tell me how I can load my rear axle to 9,750# and add ZERO weight to my front axle 5,300# and NOT be over my GVWR 0f 14,000#.

Did you know the f450 pickup has a GVWR of 14k also?

FACT the 14k is just a number to keep the truck in a non commercial rating and for licensing/insurance costs.

FACT it's impossible to load my rear axle to it's SAE RAWR of 9,750 and NOT be overloaded.

So what's one to do if they want to use their truck to it's rated axle weights? Simple buy tonnage to cover your trucks actual loaded weight.

4happyfeet
01-15-2019, 09:16 AM
Hi, wingnut60. I'll look again at the GVWR. I may be confusing the dry weight, as you say. I bought the Ford 27.5 lb. hitch. I'll need to adjust new hitch, new truck and new trailer all at the same time, lol. I wish the rig had the 2" frame risers, but it doesn't. I was told it would have to go back to Morryde in Indiana to have them added. Maybe at a rally. Thanks for the advice.

Cummins12V98
01-15-2019, 09:18 AM
Ahhh, once again children in the play yard. No different than those in different military branches.

Get over yourselves.

So what did you have to offer Mr 3rd poster????

You may not like some things that are said but there is usually good info to be had.

wingnut60
01-15-2019, 09:56 AM
4happyfeet,
I don't have the risers, but do have a '17 450--my B&W hitch is at mid-height and have fair clearance--I did cut the flanges off the pin box outer plates as that is the part that contacts the bed rails, if any contact is going to happen. Just be careful after hitching up and make a few sharp turns, both forward and backward, while keeping a close eye on the pin box to bed rail clearances. Doing this will confirm any potential problem. Suggest that you do this AT THE DEALERSHIP when picking up the trailer.
I am almost level in stance when hitched, no air bags, maybe 1" high in front. I even have a Retrax bed cover on top of the rails with just small dents in the rails before I cut the flanges.
Just this Sept at Morryde, I was quoted $2200 to install the rails.

OneReallyOldGuy
01-15-2019, 10:44 AM
HA, pease tell me how I can load my rear axle to 9,750# and add ZERO weight to my front axle 5,300# and NOT be over my GVWR 0f 14,000#.

Did you know the f450 pickup has a GVWR of 14k also?

FACT the 14k is just a number to keep the truck in a non commercial rating and for licensing/insurance costs.

FACT it's impossible to load my rear axle to it's SAE RAWR of 9,750 and NOT be overloaded.

So what's one to do if they want to use their truck to it's rated axle weights? Simple buy tonnage to cover your trucks actual loaded weight.

GVWR aside, you just posted a certified weight showing you to be 130lbs. over the GAWR of your rear axle on a public forum. I’m no lawyer but I’ve seen enough of those shark’s commercials to know they will come after you with a vengeance if you have an accident. Your insurance company may try to deny coverage also since you are knowingly exceeding your vehicle’s weight rating.
You’ve given me some good advice since I joined this forum and went full time so I respect your opinion. As a retired truck driver with a million mile safe driving ring in the jewrely box I can tell you the most important thing is being able to stop that bad boy with the rubber side down and the shiny side up in any situation and you’re pushing that envelope.
A guy pulled in 2 spaces down from me a few days ago with a brand new fifth wheel showing a GVWR of 18k. He’s pulling it with a 2500 SW pick up. He had a mechanic come out here and change his drum brakes over to disc because.....and I quote him....”I keep running red lights because I can’t stop this thing.” Now that’s nuts.

BTW, I don’t know what you mean by “buy tonnage to cover......”

Cummins12V98
01-15-2019, 11:12 AM
When you license your vehicle most States have tonnage to cover the loaded weight of your vehicle. Like 14,000# but you can add to that if you so choose to 16,000#. My State simply covers what ever my weight is.

Yes I showed a 9,800+# weight ticket, not a biggie as i was carrying something at the time in my toolbox that is no longer there.

All that matters is I don't go over what i am licensed for, ticket could apply. But the reality is I have well over 11,000# of rear tire capacity.

So your logic of me being over 130# on my weight ticket would cause my insurance to not pay. I don't think so as the fact is they pay all the time for people doing the wrong things all the time that's why we carry insurance.

I got booted off another forum because a Moderator did not like me disagreeing with him about this 14k issue. I was basically going to HE!! being over 14K!

YUP the problem with people you mentioned is they look at what the TOW rating is and don't understand what really counts is what the truck can carry.

I am at or under my FAWR, RAWR and Combined weights and have proper tonnage to cover my truck weight along with plenty of tire capacity. "GOLDEN"

4happyfeet
01-15-2019, 11:16 AM
wingnut60,
thanks for the heads up. The Ford dealer installed the hitch, so I don't even know where they set it at. I'm assuming that it is set at mid-height, but will have to see. Bringing lots of tools, just in case. Also new pin box. It's got the Morryde on it. Get 'er all done at once! ;)

Cummins12V98
01-15-2019, 11:19 AM
wingnut60,
thanks for the heads up. The Ford dealer installed the hitch, so I don't even know where they set it at. I'm assuming that it is set at mid-height, but will have to see. Bringing lots of tools, just in case. Also new pin box. It's got the Morryde on it. Get 'er all done at once! ;)

Make sure you have at least 6" clearance at the tailgate.

wingnut60
01-15-2019, 12:10 PM
Kent,
You have a new pin box, or are you keeping the Morryde? I'm not clear on that.
Joe

Notanlines
01-15-2019, 04:33 PM
WHAT? You mean you aren't going to hell for that? Shoot, I had my bags packed for my old F-350 days before the dually!

4happyfeet
01-15-2019, 05:40 PM
Yes, wingnut60. Waylon did us a great deal at Explore USA in Denton.

4happyfeet
01-15-2019, 05:43 PM
Wingnut60,

I meant that the new trailer has the Morryde pin box. The Redwood has a Trail air with air bag and shock. The Mooryde has bushings.

wingnut60
01-15-2019, 07:14 PM
Yes, had one on previous and now this one. Does a pretty good job.
Again, be careful with pin box clearance until you are sure where it is on turns.
And, enjoy the new setup.

4happyfeet
01-16-2019, 06:50 AM
Thanks, wingnuy60, will do.