PDA

View Full Version : 3 inch truck lift - limiting my options?

Bestoutwest
01-03-2019, 02:05 PM
We are in the process this winter of buying a diesel truck and a fifth wheel. There is a truck I am very interested in buying, however it has a 3-inch lift. It's a Dodge Mega Cab 2007. How much does buying a truck with a 3-inch lift limit my options in terms of buying fifth wheels? We are thinking of buying one that's about 30 feet with slide outs and quad bunks.

I'm just worried that by buying a lifted truck rather than a stock one I will have trouble finding a fifth wheel that's high enough. Some guys are telling me don't do it and other guys say a 3-inch lift is no big deal.

Rhagfo
01-03-2019, 03:30 PM
Lifted trucks and 5ers don't go together well.

BobandMary
01-03-2019, 06:51 PM
You can tow with a lifted TV but you are asking for problems. Possibly overloading the rear axle due to the RV being nose up. Possibly dragging the rear jacks / levelers, etc. It's just not a good idea.

Suite Sweets
01-03-2019, 09:06 PM
another possible issue is the tow vehicle bed rails too close to the underside of the 5th front overhang, creating a crush point anytime your tow vehicle begins to climb or descent a hill, while the 5th wheel is still level.

CHAPS2018
01-14-2019, 05:13 PM
I have a stock 2016 RAM 3500 DRW 4x4 and dealing with a trailer nose-high problem. I am at the minimum (6") bed rail clearance and in the process of installing correct track to lift the trailer.

Thank goodness my 2018 rig is only 12'6" and i have the extra margin on overall height.

I really don't understand why the mfgrs are not raising the trailers to match the newer truck heights.

Primo Rudy's Roadhouse
01-14-2019, 06:54 PM
I don't think a moderate lift (3 in) is a problem IF you trailer pin height is high enough. That will depend on your trailer and any modifications (lifting) you want to do to it. I had an '09 Ram with a leveling kit (rear stock). Bought a fifth wheel that had the axles flipped and larger tires/wheels and the trailer road level. I would think with a lifted truck you will need to put blocks under the springs and above the axles. You will raise your center of gravity reducing the the handling of the package. Also consider how long your trips will be. Good luck in your search and have some fun.

Rhagfo
01-14-2019, 09:50 PM
I have a stock 2016 RAM 3500 DRW 4x4 and dealing with a trailer nose-high problem. I am at the minimum (6") bed rail clearance and in the process of installing correct track to lift the trailer.

Thank goodness my 2018 rig is only 12'6" and i have the extra margin on overall height.

I really don't understand why the mfgrs are not raising the trailers to match the newer truck heights.

I have the same 2016 Ram 3500 DRW, and compared to my 2001 Ram 2500, this is how much difference there was between the two. I may end up being about 1" higher at the pin.

ON EDIT: you are aware that even though the 2007 Mega Cab is a DRW it has a pathetic GVWR of about 10,500#, if you found a 2007 Quad/Crew cab the GVWR would be 12,300#

https://i.imgur.com/YMnhwJD.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/EyUB1tD.jpg

Suite Sweets
01-14-2019, 10:31 PM
I see that Ram is offering a bed lowering/raising device on the 2019's. Higher height for loads, lower height for towing. I didn't read about it - I'm not in the market - just saw a blurb about the capability

MTK46
01-15-2019, 03:42 PM
I agree lifted trucks & 5th wheels don't do well together. Not saying it can't be done just a hassle & a $$ pit. :rolleyes: