PDA

View Full Version : Slide cable water intrusion

Suite Sweets
12-19-2018, 05:40 PM
Gentlemen:
The upper level slides (except for 2 years of DRV manufacturing) have cables at the side, both top and bottom of the slide unit. Originally, where those cables pierced the slide gasket, the hole had rectangular rubber blocks, about 2" x 1" x 1/4" thick, that were glued or vulcanized to the gasket. In my unit, 7 of the 8 blocks, the adhesion, whatever was used, failed. That's a fairly high failure rate. Has anyone come up with a better solution to keep water from entering where the cable enters the gasket ?

Cummins12V98
12-20-2018, 10:31 AM
Get some Permatex "The Right Stuff" gasket maker and apply a dab top and bottom to the rubber pc press into place and yer done.

Suite Sweets
12-20-2018, 10:45 AM
Cummins - absent hearing from someone, and heavy rains due this the next day, I used 3M 90 spray adhesive, but with misgivings. Once that fails, I'll use the Permatex. I think that's exactly the right product. Thanks for speaking up.

Cummins12V98
12-20-2018, 10:49 AM
The spray 90 may do the job just fine.

I use the Right Stuff for many things. Differential covers NEVER leak for one.

Happy to help!

RRman
12-31-2018, 03:39 PM
I noticed a 2015 Mobile Suite in the Park has the same problem with the bedroom slides wires. Need to mention that to the owner...

Suite Sweets
12-31-2018, 05:04 PM
RRman, One of my slides rubber blocks had disappeared. I used a tube repair patch to substitute. I punched a hole in the center of the patch, and made one cut from the circumference to the hole. Slipped that over the wire and then lapped one side of the patch over the other - doing that overlap below the wire. That overlap caused the patch to 'dimple' helping to divert water from the wire. Then ran a bead of caulk above the wire, the more to divert water away from the wire. Now you know, the r-e-s-t of the story

terry and jo
01-08-2019, 01:39 PM
OK. This is confusing me with regards to the "descriptive names" of things here. We have a 2010 Mobile Suites and I don't see any kind of cabling at the top of the slides, nor do I know of any at the bottom. The slides on our unit area all hydraulic.

If from the OP's description regarding "all but two years of DRV manufacturing" is correct, does anyone have a picture of said cabling for a 2010?

Terry

MTK46
01-08-2019, 03:38 PM
I think what he's refer to is the models that have the vanity slide. My 2011 has those cables but is still hydraulic actuated. Some how the hydraulics operate the cables. Not sure how but they do.

Walt
01-08-2019, 05:50 PM
The newer Models use the cable system on the bedroom and vanity slides. I have a 2019 that has the cable system.

Cummins12V98
01-09-2019, 06:46 AM
Two years referred to are called "Schwintec" ? system. Terry from what i understand they are very problematic and Slade at RollingRetreats is one of the few that knows how to fix this system. Since then they use the cable system for the bedroom slides.

https://i.imgur.com/zo04BKPl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/SAzSytvl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/20JIXTXl.jpg

terry and jo
01-09-2019, 01:53 PM
Yes, I'm well aware of the Schwintek system and its problems. But from the one guy's description, it was like the DRV's prior to the Schwintek and the cable system. I never really looked closely at the vanity slide systems prior to the changeover from the hydraulic.

When we were researching for our 2010, we had driven all the way to Springdale, Arkansas just to see one of the 38TKSB3 models. They had a 36-footer there with the vanity slide, and after seeing how much storage space was lost with that vanity, we decided against it.

Thanks for some clarification.

Terry

Cummins12V98
01-10-2019, 06:33 AM
"after seeing how much storage space was lost with that vanity, we decided against it."

YUP!!! Our rig is nearly 41' long and ONLY 3 slides. WAYYY too much storage space lost just to give a few more inches of clearance at the foot of the bed. Plenty of room at the end of the bed without the slide.

Another goof thing for us it seems a lot of people have issues with their vanity slides.

porthole
01-10-2019, 12:05 PM
"after seeing how much storage space was lost with that vanity, we decided against it."

YUP!!! Our rig is nearly 41' long and ONLY 3 slides. WAYYY too much storage space lost just to give a few more inches of clearance at the foot of the bed. Plenty of room at the end of the bed without the slide.

Another goof thing for us it seems a lot of people have issues with their vanity slides.

How much storage do you really lose?

MTK46
01-10-2019, 01:55 PM
We never saw the floorplan we bought in person without the vanity slide. It goes out a foot so more then a couple of inches. As far as problems only thing I have read is the vanity slide leaks when it rains. We got .10 inch the other day here at home. I checked & didn't find any leaks. Now for you that don't live in the desert you might say it just sprinkled. :rolleyes:
Well ours is a one owner MS from Oregon. I know it really rains up there, but no signs of any leaks anywhere in our MS. :grin:

wingnut60
01-10-2019, 06:12 PM
I am sitting on the couch looking down the trailer towards the bedroom.....we have the vanity slide. Did not have it on the previous '05 Suites. As I look at the bedroom, trying to envision the cabinets that were in the old Suites and if they gave us any more room/storage. Can't see it, wife didn't see it, so no sure this is any more than personal tastes. As asked, just what is the difference in the available storage between the two options?

Cummins12V98
01-11-2019, 10:03 AM
"How much storage do you really lose?"

Hard to answer. But our cabinets go FULL wall to wall.

I think if everyone went into buying these rigs and forgetting having a 4th slide is a biggie and forgetting it is quite a price bump MOST would get the NON slide Vanity. ONLY negative to not having it is less space between the bed and the Vanity Cabinets.

Maybe someone can post similar pics with the Vanity slide.

https://i.imgur.com/L51cdWwl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/qNPiRodl.jpg

porthole
01-11-2019, 11:51 AM
We have 8 small drawers across the bottom where you have 6 (we would be better with 6, although still smaller then your cabinet).
No side cabinets, TV on a small enclosed stand with a door and room for a DVD player, small items and nothing across the top except trim.

But, for us it works. We can leave the bedroom slide in and just open the vanity. Works for areas where there is limited room like our rest stop holdovers. And it is only a few seconds to completely extend. We also have the front bath model, so going forward of the bed is something we may do more then others.

Cummins12V98
01-11-2019, 12:56 PM
Last DRV had 8 drawers we do NOT like the deeper drawers. Wish we had the 8 again!

Our last DRV had storage under the cabinet we miss.