PDA

View Full Version : Power Management with Built in Surge Protector

Suite Sweets
12-16-2018, 05:05 PM
Gentlemen: For years, we've heard to replace surge protectors periodically. Preparatory to this post, I did some Google research, and reference it herein:
lifehacker.com/why-you-should-periodically-replace-your-surge-protecto-1693447062

In all the posts I've read, none have raised the issue of burn out of a DRV (or any other) provided surge protector, nor has anyone raised the question of replacement.

So, I raise the question. Do they need servicing (i.e., replacement of the metal oxide varistor), do they need replacement ? Or, do they need to be ignored ?

Isn't becoming knowledgeable about your RV fun ? It really is a hobby.

Traveling Home
12-16-2018, 08:28 PM
Keeping all the electrical connections tight is the most important maintenance item. When the wires and terminals loosen, it can create heat or arcing causing a fire.

wingnut60
12-16-2018, 11:23 PM
This is a question best asked to the mfg of the surge protector...they surely know what the capability of their unit is. Never have read of anyone worried about the SP unless they have suffered thru an electrical incident. Had a couple of times in last Suites that the voltage dropped enough to trip the PI SP. When the voltage came back, no problem with the SP resetting and it told me what the problem was.