PDA

View Full Version : Electricity costs?

The Bruin
11-26-2018, 12:13 PM
Still in research stages of our eventual foray into full timing. I see that most if not all extended stay RV parks and resorts have metered electric rates. Can someone give me even a rough estimate of a common monthly electric bill? A lot of variables, I realize, even state to state, city to city. Trailer is likely a mid size 5er(dont even have that yet,lol). Just me and the Mrs. I dont expect to have to run AC all that much in winter months. We are eventual Canadian Snowbirds, looking to stay maybe 5 months in AZ, TX, maybe FL. Any input, even ballpark figures are appreciated.

Stripit
11-26-2018, 05:30 PM
My 36 ft 5th wheel seemed to eat up from $85 to $100 every month during our winter stays. We used the electric side of the water heater, 1 TV, our computers on 24/7, washer/dryer used at least 2 times a week. We have had slightly lower and slightly higher numbers depending on the cost per KW the park charges. We rarely used the a/c systems during the winter months.

Ultratravler
11-26-2018, 08:51 PM
We winter in Az. $85 to $100 is a spot on number. We use elec. for heating, most cooking, hot water, lights. It will run in that range most months, with a high of $125 on a really cold month. Good luck.

Dave

Notanlines
11-27-2018, 04:29 AM
We winter in south Florida for 5 months and ours is generally $60 to $75 per month. Heat, air, dish washer, etc, but not much of any of the above.

The Bruin
11-27-2018, 05:26 PM
Thx very much for the replies folks.. Exactly what I wanted to hear. Here in N Ontario, rates are really high. Really high. A hundred or so a month is pocket change, this is good news! Getting closer all the time. I have 3 ft snowbanks already, used the snowblower twice. Cant wait to see this NO MORE! Thx again.

wingnut60
11-27-2018, 09:20 PM
When you head south, stick a snow shovel in a stake pocket in the bed--when someone first asks what it is for, you are getting close....
Safe travels.

fjr vfr
11-30-2018, 07:57 PM
Our experiences are similar to other inputs here. What I do to keep the cost down is not run the hot water tank full time and use gas when I do. I find the gas is cheaper. When we are in a park with good facilities we try and use the park showers.
One other thing is I have a couple Goal Zero solar generators I keep charged with solar panels on the roof. I use these for our lap tops, charging phones and tv watching in the evening. Every little bit helps.
Some of the friends we meet along the way have full time solar set ups, but that's just too complicated and up front expensive for a simple person like myself. :lol:

wingnut60
12-01-2018, 10:58 AM
Might always ask first what the kW/hr charge is at the campground.

Stripit
12-03-2018, 10:14 AM
One year we wintered in Yuma, parked across the street was a 1 year newer Mobile Suites, same model. I used electric he opted to use the propane. We compared costs and I paid just over $7.00 more for the month than he did. But he made 2 trips to the propane store and had to lug his big bottles back and forth, the few dollars more I paid was well worth it to me to not have to drag out those big tanks.

pterrydactyl
12-03-2018, 07:03 PM
Parks will sometime add a fee on top of the actual electricity cost. In a Bullhead City park we were in it was $14.50/month.

wingnut60
12-03-2018, 07:14 PM
stripit,
At my age, handling 10gal tanks is becoming difficult; convenience is now more important than cost for some items. Park electricity wins for me UNLESS the kW charge is outrageous.

OneReallyOldGuy
12-03-2018, 08:41 PM
When you head south, stick a snow shovel in a stake pocket in the bed--when someone first asks what it is for, you are getting close....
Safe travels.

That’s hilarious! I don’t mean to gloat but I’ve never owned a snow shovel. I did use my leaf blower once to clear the snow off my driveway the year it snowed in Atlanta.
I’ve only been fulltiming about 4 months but I haven’t been metered yet. We stayed long enough at 2 parks to get the monthly rate. They were $650 and $800. We’re at a resort in a premium site right now at $500 a week. What are you guys paying in lot rent in addition to your electricity?

Phil

Walt
12-03-2018, 08:46 PM
$340.00 in Yuma plus electric.

OneReallyOldGuy
12-03-2018, 09:54 PM
$340.00 in Yuma plus electric.

$340 a month? That’s a bargain even with $150 electric bill.

Notanlines
12-04-2018, 07:33 AM
Prices in Florida are almost directly proportional to the distance south of the Georgia border. You will get what you pay for north of Tallahassee. Sites can be had for $300 a month plus utilities. It is cold most of the winter and no beach nearby. No, no chance of snow, but no chance of using the park pool either. By the time you have travelled south as far as Key West you just get out your credit card and let them have it. $3000 a month is not uncommon in premium areas.
We pay $600 a month in Clewiston. Equidistant from both coasts and easy access. If we were in Fort Myers the rate would be closer to $1000 a month for safe quarters.

crash999
12-04-2018, 12:07 PM
We have a Crusader Lite 30BH here in the UK and yes Electricity costs are an issue here.
We turn off the electric water heater at night and find the water has gone cold by the morning. In other words the insulation around the hot water tank is rubbish. Is there any way of getting to the tank to provide better insulation?
Please note we are having issues with the gas burner and am awaiting a remedy, its unstable and noisey.

Stripit
12-05-2018, 09:32 AM
Paying $1,350 for a month in San Diego but that includes the electric as no meter on any sites. Included in that is the $1.00 per day for a dog.

GlennWest
01-02-2019, 02:58 PM
Our electric is lower than most. Used 5k kwh in December. $50. Summer bout the same
. Mini split for heat and air. All led lightening. Use little propane for heat. Mosrly for cooking