PDA

View Full Version : LIppert camber repair/issues

HomeAway
10-16-2018, 08:14 AM
Bought our new 5th wheel in March 2018. Serious slide issues landed our trailer back at factory where they discovered “negative camber” of the frame, requiring a repair by LIppert. We have been told that our trailer is now 13’6” in height (3 inches taller than brochure) and weighs about 350lbs more. I have concerns about the new height (DOT limits 13’6”, the height of my B&W Companion hitch not aligning correctly, sway/stability issues...etc).

Anyone else experienced this issue? Any other thoughts or concerns?

Thanks in advance...

Notanlines
10-16-2018, 03:43 PM
The VERY first thing you should do is hook up your rig and tow to a very level lot and YOU measure the height of your highest point, probably the top of your front-most AC. There are a number of ways to do this, probably the simplest being to bring a 10-12 foot 2x4 with you to the roof, lay it across the chosen high spot and measure both sides to the ground, add together and divide by two. NOW you know for sure how high the RV really is.
Next, on the way home, stop by your friendly neighborhood CAT scale and weigh the rig again and compare to the weigh sheet from when you weighed it last and see how it compares. Oops, you say you didn't weight it previously? Well then, look up under the rig and see what was added to make up the extra weight they claim. I wouldn't be too concerned about the 350 pounds, but I would be about the height.

wingnut60
10-16-2018, 08:25 PM
Many DRV owners have the 2" riser installed, and some a 3" riser--none of them have reported any clearance problems that I have read about.
I would not be concerned about the height, nor the weight, but longevity of a 'negative camber' correction.
Do you actually know how high it was before they did the repair?

Suite Sweets
12-14-2018, 07:49 PM
Apparently the leveling jacks can be adjusted to compensate for their lost effective use, resultant from raising the body several inches. The front legs, as I understand, are not adjustable, but require being cut off and re-welded.

Raising the trailer has made the bottom step that much more difficult to reach, as will be the first rung on the rear ladder.

Carrying this to the ludicrous, you have extra clearance in the wheel well - maybe less likely for blown tires to wreak havoc on the wheel well. But reduced fuel mileage due to the greater wind cavity.

What did you learn about height ?