PDA

View Full Version : GPS Question

NomadicPaul
08-10-2018, 05:43 PM
I have had several people tell me there are GPS units available that can consider the height of your vehicle. After watching a few YouTube video showing trailers shearing off at units, roofs etc I think it's VA good investment.

An opinions on types?

wingnut60
08-10-2018, 10:11 PM
All I know of is the Giraffe, check it out at:

www.giraffeG4.com

No idea if it works in time to keep from hitting something.

NomadicPaul
08-11-2018, 09:07 AM
All I know of is the Giraffe, check it out at:

www.giraffeG4.com

No idea if it works in time to keep from hitting something.

Read about this product. Seems like a good product to have for the more rural or unfamiliar highways. Basically you measure the highest point of your RV, then mount the G4 sensor on your mirror, enter the height at which the sensor is mounted and if you pull up to a bridge you won't clear an alarm sounds.

It doesn't work travelling at any speed but in all fairness if you don't think you are going to clear an obstacle you shouldn't be at speed anyway.

Would be really good for gas station islands.

Mtntrek
08-11-2018, 04:59 PM
Looks fairly handy, thanks for posting.
The GPS options are offered by third party software developers that use the database(s) similar to the commercial carriers atlas. Some GPS models can receive aux. data uploads, others can't. I'm not sure I can justify the expense.
We carry 2-way communicators, safety cones, and operate under the "when in doubt, get out". Seems there is always something else to visualize at fuel islands too. Like speedy knuckleheads trying to slip ahead in line.

In several yrs. of FT'ing at 13'5" OAH, ironically the main issues we've run into are at mom & pop CG's where they won't trim their trees properly. Or have low wires, gullies, and culverts etc. YMMV

PopBeavers
08-12-2018, 04:25 PM
I just bought the Garmin RV 770.

I programmed it to be:

5th wheel
35 feet long
7 feet wide
13 feet 10 inches tall
19,000 pounds

As it calculates a route to the specified destination it will route around obstacles as specified.

Seems to have all the same POIs that my dashboard GPS has.

First trip with it is tomorrow.

Be aware that maximum height west of the Mississippi is 14 feet while east of the Mississippi it is 13 feet 6 inches.

I carry enough diesel to go 700 miles, so I never have to tow the trailer into a station.

Rooh9699
08-16-2018, 09:07 PM
I downloaded the SYGIC TRUCK Android app for my Samsung S-8. The app lets you put in the dimensions of the rig prior to doing any navigation. I've pulled from ATL to Gullfport, MS. and some local pulls and have had no problems with it so far.

I use this because I didn't want another "thing" to manage...having on the phone is fast and easy. I also loaded it on a 10" Samsung note so the wife can monitor with me.

I like the idea of the connected device which is constantly updated with an internet connection.

So far so good. Will let you know if we have any problems with it.

Cheers!

dave

orca
08-20-2018, 05:45 PM
My Truck/RV GPS will tell me that there is a low bridge on the proposed route before I drive down a five mile road with no place to turn around. The giraffe will only tell you about the low bridge when you get there. BUT the gps is only as good as the information that is in its program. Best advice is get a good GPS and check the route with a good hard copy map!

Whitewolf
08-20-2018, 06:58 PM
I've got the Garmin that Popbeavers has. I like it. I think it's pretty accurate. Garmin updates on a regular basis.

Patyacht
08-20-2018, 08:15 PM
The Garmin RV 770 LMT-S RV GPS does what you want. OR you if you own another type of NAV GPS you possibly could subscribe to http://www.lowclearances.com/ and load their data into your unit! Safe travels!

CHAPS2018
08-20-2018, 08:30 PM
The Garmin DEZL (truckers gps) does that and has very good reviews on Amazon.

I got this after the first long trip with our 5er and we had a height issue(1”) clearance and a width issue.

OneReallyOldGuy
08-21-2018, 06:41 AM
Does anyone know of an iPhone app that has the height/width capability? My truck has “Apple car play” which displays everything on my in dash touch screen from my phone. I don’t want another screen in the cab.
On a related note, since having a camera system installed and linked to my in dash display, every time I activate my camera while driving with navigation turned on the crazy GPS woman thinks I’m instantly going backwards and starts screaming at me to “make illegal U-turn” and “proceed to the route.” Has anyone experienced this? The company that did the install is at a loss as to why it’s happening.

Patyacht
08-21-2018, 10:02 AM
Does anyone know of an iPhone app that has the height/width capability? My truck has “Apple car play” which displays everything on my in dash touch screen from my phone. I don’t want another screen in the cab.
On a related note, since having a camera system installed and linked to my in dash display, every time I activate my camera while driving with navigation turned on the crazy GPS woman thinks I’m instantly going backwards and starts screaming at me to “make illegal U-turn” and “proceed to the route.” Has anyone experienced this? The company that did the install is at a loss as to why it’s happening.
Try http://www.lowclearances.com/compatibility.html with Google Maps!:)

Barry
02-01-2021, 09:19 PM
Have the Garmin RV 890 GPS. Does everything you need and more. It stays up to date with current maps and POIs by just being in range of WiFi. Not necessary to connect to a PC to update it. Works excellently.