PDA

View Full Version : Hitch installation question

NomadicPaul
08-08-2018, 07:52 PM
The truck I have to pull a fifth wheel need a hitch. Currently there is no bed just the frame.

The answer may be obvious to you folks but I am new to all this

I would like to install a flatbed but may not be able to immediately afford it.

Could I have the hitch installed on just the frame?

Notanlines
08-09-2018, 07:08 AM
Most hitch companies use the same "rail" configuration. The two rails that your hitch would drop into would be bolted to the pickup frame. Then the hitch itself just drops into the slots in the rails. It would be even easier for the installer since your pickup bed is gone.....easy access.

wingnut60
08-09-2018, 09:51 AM
The underframe parts of a hitch are always installed on the frame--having the bed off makes it simpler for the B&W type hitches and others. Just talk to a hitch shop and ask/confirm what you can put on your truck.

HayesCages
08-20-2018, 03:28 PM
Don't know about any other type of hitch but ours is the in-bed rail type and requires the bed to be on the frame to install it. A flatbed wouldn't work with this style for the same reason: they're made for trucks with factory installed beds.
I'd say you'd have to look for one specifically made to mount on the frame only.

Good luck, Lawrence

joleyred
08-20-2018, 05:41 PM
It would be a very simple install. It needs to be attached to the frame anyway. The truck bed is only a thin skin, no structural strength for trailer towing purposes. You would have NO issues whatsoever.

mhbell
08-20-2018, 06:49 PM
Looks to me that you have a couple of options.
If a floor for the hitch rails was needed you could always install a piece of Diamond plate steel between the frame rails of the truck. another possibility would be to install a goose neck hitch and pin box. That could be a better option if you are going to install a flat bed. That way the hitch would be hidden when you were not towing. No rails in the flat bed that way and more room for stuff when towing.

HayesCages
08-20-2018, 07:12 PM
The only hitch that would be suitable for the "frame only" application would be the B&W (under bed mounting) mentioned above. Just my 2 cents ;-)

mhbell
08-20-2018, 07:26 PM
The only hitch that would be suitable for the "frame only" application would be the B&W (under bed mounting) mentioned above. Just my 2 cents ;-)
My Reese 16K hitch has plates that are underneth and run along the side of the frame and the rails attach to it, the rails of the hitch are in the bed of the truck but could be setting on a Diamond plate of steel would not matter as the truck bed is thin metal. see link below for picture.

https://rvbloggers.files.wordpress.com/2018/08/bag2b.jpg?w=768

Notanlines
08-20-2018, 11:11 PM
Bum info has been sent out. Believe me when I say Bell and Joley are absolutely correct. Read my first post. Install away!

Mtntrek
08-21-2018, 12:31 AM
Bum info has been sent out. Believe me when I say Bell and Joley are absolutely correct. Read my first post. Install away!
Agreed.
At best the bed is only sandwiched between the frame components and the traditional rails. Often not even properly.

In a puck mount system none of the components even touch the bed. The pucks mounted to the frame protrude through hole-sawed openings.