PDA

View Full Version : Cab protection?

soopermn
08-05-2018, 08:14 PM
Hey folks. Im new to the forum and new to 5th wheeling. I bought a 2018 ram 3500 mega cab with a 6.5ft bed. I have seen terrible pictures of rear windows busted out because of a lack of clearance and I was wondering if I should install a headache rack to prevent such a thing. I will be getting a sliding hitch as my research points to clearance issues. Thanks for any info you folks can provide.

wingnut60
08-05-2018, 11:17 PM
The sliding hitch should prevent any problem of hitting the cab with the trailer--assuming it is automatic, or, you remember to activate it. Using a headache rack will only reduce clearance and if you hit it with the fiver, it will be forced into the cab anyway.
Good luck, welcome to the forum.

Mtntrek
08-07-2018, 04:41 PM
Wingnut60 is absolutely correct. A headache rack is more for medium weight bed cargo shifting.

I just witnessed the aftermath of a clearance issue the other month. Experienced driver, lack of a spotter, lapse in judgement. Costly result(s).
Be safe.

Notanlines
08-10-2018, 05:53 AM
Breaking the rear window on a pickup is not much of a problem. Certainly not "terrible." The damage done to the RV is considerably worse and harder to get repaired. Stay way away from the headache rack. As said previously it will serve no purpose.

PopBeavers
08-12-2018, 04:27 PM
I forgot to engage my slider once. The cab now has a dent in it.

I replaced the Reese manual slider with a Pull Rite automatic slider. I am much happier now.

grafton guns
08-15-2018, 07:37 AM
I use a headache rack and also a Curt slider hitch. The hitch came with my Eagle HT from camping world. My Ford has the same size box as yours. I am happy with the setup. No clearance issues at all.

Rhagfo
08-18-2018, 07:48 AM
Breaking the rear window on a pickup is not much of a problem. Certainly not "terrible." The damage done to the RV is considerably worse and harder to get repaired. Stay way away from the headache rack. As said previously it will serve no purpose.

Window not a big deal, but fixing the dent in the cab can get costly! Most of the time when the 5er contacts the cab both happen.

grafton guns
10-08-2018, 05:11 PM
I have a headache rack on my 2016 F-350 Lariat crew cab with the 6 1/2' box. I also have a Curt slider hitch. I have yet to use the slider feature of my hitch and I pay attention when jacking my 5th wheel around. I try not to get myself into a bind over/under steering. The only reason I have a headache rack is that it holds my light for responding to fire dept. calls.