PDA

View Full Version : Truck good for 5th wheel?

daledevon
07-15-2018, 09:59 PM
I have a 2005 f350 with 35's on it. Is it easy to adjust a 5th wheel hitch with this height?

Stripit
07-15-2018, 10:28 PM
I have a 2005 f350 with 35's on it. Is it easy to adjust a 5th wheel hitch with this height?
Might be much harder to get the trailer to tow level with that kind of tire height.

Mtntrek
07-16-2018, 03:20 PM
Welcome to the forum.

All equipment is different, every setup varies somewhat, based on only your truck?
Usually a truck running 35"s has been leveled too? Getting a 5r's axles loaded properly and maintaining proper bed / front cap clearance can indeed be a real challenge if even possible. How much towing are you planning?
The process of physically adjusting a hitch an / or pin box is not that demanding with the correct tools. You'll possibly want to replace the deformed lock washers and re- torque appropriately. Best of luck.

mhbell
07-23-2018, 03:39 PM
I have a 2005 f350 with 35's on it. Is it easy to adjust a 5th wheel hitch with this height?Personally I would not do it. If the axles on the trailer have not been flipped you can raise the trailer about 3 inches. Other than that I would suspect you would have to modify the trailer suspension to get it level. You could encounter all kinds of handling problems with a modified suspension. Yes you can raise and lower the hitch and then you have the problem of clearing the bed rails or getting the trailer level. Without a level trailer you have all kinds of problems Safety for one and the tire wear and excess load on trailer axle. Proceed with caution.
Mel