PDA

View Full Version : External LP hookup

clev
05-27-2018, 03:04 PM
I just bought a free standing LP BBQ grill with cabling and nipple adapter. Hooked it up and...nothing. Tried the grill hooked to a bbq cylinder and it works fine. Back to the hookup. I depressed the inside valve with a screw driver, which should have released gas, but again nothing. I’ve never had one of these hookups before, are they plug and play?

wingnut60
05-27-2018, 05:44 PM
Are you trying to use the line under the trailer?

Buckshot
05-27-2018, 07:00 PM
There should be a lever to turn the gas off and on. It should be inline with the gas line to be open.

clev
05-27-2018, 08:34 PM
Hi guys; wing, yes, it’s the metal gas line from the ‘T’ under the gas bottles, that comes over to a nipple connection on the door side, under the belly door. Buck, I looked and don’t see a lever. It’s directly “T’d” into the gas line that feeds the other gas appliances.

clev
05-27-2018, 08:35 PM
Buck, would the lever be in the gas bottle compartment?

wingnut60
05-27-2018, 08:41 PM
clev,
I believe the propane line with the quik-coupling under the trailer is downstream of the regulator at the propane tanks. If your grill has its own regulator, that is why it won't work. Is this the setup you have?

clev
05-27-2018, 09:20 PM
Yes, wing, the grill has its own regulator. It’s adapter will allow it to use the small green propane bottles, or screw into an LP tank. The regulator is built into the main fittings at the grill. How can I get past this?

wingnut60
05-27-2018, 11:41 PM
You can't have 2 regulators on the same line--too much drawdown of gas pressure.
Several have rigged the grills to bypass/remove the regulator, that is the only way I know to make use of the propane tap. You won't get into any trouble if you get rid of the reg on the grille, it is still regulated by the fiver, but would be awkward to keep removing/replacing the grille reg if you want use it away from the fiver. I think it has been mentioned elsewhere that to take the guts out of the grill reg, but that will mess it up for use later away from the trailer.
Don't know what else to do, other then tap the propane line before the main reg.
Joe

Notanlines
05-28-2018, 05:40 AM
Clev, "I depressed the inside valve with a screw driver, which should have released gas, but again nothing" Which valve did you try this on? First, use that screwdriver (safer to use a Phillips) on the female connector that is on your RV. If you have LP then plug in your new hose and try the connection at the end of the hose. If you have LP then you're in business. If not then don't mess with the grill yet, fix the supply problem. If you have LP at the end of the hose then you have to bypass that regulator in the grill as was explained.

clev
05-28-2018, 06:56 AM
Thanks wing, Jim. I used the screwdriver in the female nipple port under the belly door on the door side of the coach. Also, the grill works with small green LP bottle and connected directly to a bbq tank. So, the grill is working fine, I just don’t have gas coming out of the nipple connection. Yes, there is gas in the bottles and the valves are open.

wingnut60
05-28-2018, 07:27 AM
clev,
Sorry that I did not quite understand that you can't get gas out of the hookup point at all...if that is the case, I would shut off all propane and disassemble the quik-coupling at the hookup point. Then, have wife slowly open propane tank and see if you get anything out--no gas then, some blockage or not even hooked to propane system. If you get some gas, quik-coupling may be bad. No matter what, you can't operate the small propane items with 2 regulators on the same line.

clev
05-28-2018, 07:43 AM
Good morning, wing. I know the feeder pipe to the nipple connection is connected, because it is connected with a metal ‘T’ in the pipe that feeds the furnace, w/heater, and fridge. I’ll pull the nipple valve as you suggested and check there.

porthole
05-28-2018, 09:28 AM
Terry,

As above, you can't use the RV connection to a grill with a regulator, unless the line is plumbed in before the RV's installed regulator.

I do not recall the exact pressure, but I think it is between 1/2 to 1 PSI.
So if the RV feed is regulated down to 1/2 - 1 PSI, there is not enough pressure to open the grill's attached regulator at the same reduction.

You may not have gas flow poking the pin. The Propane quick connects use a special nipple that opens the internal seal. Look closely to a propane hose and an air hose you you should be able to see the difference. Some propane nipples have a secondary restrictor in them which will limit the flow even more.

Work around - remove the regulator form your grill.

On my Weber Q200 I got tired of replacing the regulator (3 times).

I removed it, added the necessary fittings, added a propane nipple, bought a 12' propane hose, adjustable regulator and some quick connects. I added a tap right at the onboard propane tank.

This also allows me to adjust the pressure to get that grill heated up.

I can't get you any pictures right know - everything is stripped off the trailer and stuffed into my motorcycle trailer and garage - getting ready to go get our new rig in a few hours.

And - one last thing, although today we honor our Veterans that have passed, I'm offering a shout out to you to for your service, thank-you !!!

Cummins12V98
05-28-2018, 09:42 AM
Remove the regulator from your grill. Add a quick connect fitting, DONE.

Second pic shows the shutoff valve. I made the "T" so I could run the BBQ and camp Fire pit at the same time.

https://i.imgur.com/WWKnVRMl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/W9h8ccIl.jpg

wingnut60
05-28-2018, 09:49 AM
porthole addressed the problem more clearly than I did; Cummins, that is a great setup and very clear what to do.
Thanks to both of you.
Joe

clev
05-28-2018, 10:03 AM
That is a great setup, cummins; thank you for the information. I still have to pull the nipple attachment at the end of the feeder pipe to make sure it’s not faulty. I bought the Coleman Roadtrip and will duplicate your setup for it’s attachment.

Cummins12V98
05-28-2018, 10:08 AM
Happy to help. I bought all my hoses and fittings from AMAZON, NOT cheap! 15' for BBQ and 25 or 30' for Camp Pit.

Chad Heiser
05-28-2018, 11:04 AM
I have the same set up that Cummins does, but I went one step further. I put some quick connect couplers on either side of the (removed) regulator from my Webber Q200. This way, If I want to run the Weber Q200 away from the trailer, I just put the regulator back in the system and run a hose directly to a propane tank.

Cummins12V98
05-28-2018, 11:10 AM
I have the same set up that Cummins does, but I went one step further. I put some quick connect couplers on either side of the (removed) regulator from my Webber Q200. This way, If I want to run the Weber Q200 away from the trailer, I just put the regulator back in the system and run a hose directly to a propane tank.

Good idea!

clev
05-28-2018, 01:12 PM
Well, I have some more work to do, and probably some more fittings to buy. I also purchased from Amazon and didn't realize that I had purchased the wrong hose until it was too late to return it, so I started looking for adapters. The first picture is the hose, the second is the adapter, and the third is the connector which joins the nipple to the adapter, and the adapter screws onto the big, male POL.

clev
05-28-2018, 02:16 PM
Well, I got down on my butt, and for me, that’s a challenge. I was about to remove the nipple adapter when there it was.........I saw it......a cut off lever that was in the off position! Good grief! I had no clue that CO was there. Anyway, I’ve got gas; LOL. The burners will barely light due to the double regulators. Now can someone tell me if there is an adapter that will screw on the regulator port and allows the portable bottle thread on the end of my hose?

Cummins12V98
05-30-2018, 08:54 AM
"Second pic shows the shutoff valve." I mentioned this on post #14. It's hard to see for sure! Glad all is well now.

clev
05-30-2018, 10:40 AM
Good morning, cummins; thank you. I’ve found a couple of work arounds, but, I’m going to check on gutting the grills regulator. No luck yet on finding how to take it apart.

golf_bears
05-31-2018, 09:53 AM
Go out to the link below and see if they have fittings for your grill. May not need to gut your regulator.

I had the same problem as you. I wanted to be able to use my grill free standing with a tank or cylinders as well as with the RV LP connection.

Finally found the web site for Propanegear and now have one hose for the LP tank to connect to the grill regulator. Another hose to connect the grill to the RV LP fitting using the RV LP regulator.

http://propanegear.com/
Works good for me.

clev
05-31-2018, 10:10 AM
Good morning, golf, and thank you. I found a fix that uses the screw end of the regulator tube and have ordered the fittings.

wingnut60
05-31-2018, 11:20 PM
Well, no luck on mine with the shut off valve--line from propane regulator goes to T in underbelly piping, then to quik-coupling one way and stove/water heater the other way.
Not sure I'll ever get around to using this propane source, so will wait til maybe it pops up to be a better way to run the grill--would sure save carrying the 10# bottle around.

clev
06-01-2018, 12:08 AM
Wing, mine had the cut off lever (black) about 6 inches back behind the slip connection. It is very small, ~2 inches, not visible by bending/stooping and looking, I had to get down on the floor.

wingnut60
06-01-2018, 09:20 AM
No luck for me, not there...but so far haven't needed to use the connection.

clev
06-01-2018, 04:15 PM
Good afternoon, wing; sorry 'bout that; LOL. Mine has gotten really expensive. I ordered the basic cable/hose from Amazon, and by the time I realized that I needed adapters to connect to the RV nipple connection, it was too late to return it to Amazon. Those connections cost me about $35 and when I got it connected, I learned that it won't work because of two regulators. Now that I've purchased the work around fittings for connecting to the grill by using parts from the original regulator, that's another $60. So, with the original cable, I've got well over $100 in this. $35 of that expense was buying another regulator for the grill for when I went to use a separate bottle.

wingnut60
06-01-2018, 08:44 PM
clev,
I also have gotten caught by the prices of propane fittings/hoses--very high dollar, but guess that is as it should be.
Still thinking this over as to being able to use the onboard tanks vs a portable one vs having to have a very long hose available when I don't want to be next to the trailer...
Aarrgghhhh...always something.

clev
06-01-2018, 08:58 PM
I've been thinking the same as you, wing. I wanted the convenience of using the onboard tanks. That meant modifying the two end connections. I could have purchased a hose specifically for the purpose a whole lot cheaper than what I've paid for modifications. But, hindsight......you know what that means. After dismantling the original regulator, i had to order one for when I may want to use the grill away from the trailer and use it normally. So even though it's been a PITA, and expensive, it will be functional and SAFE; that's the important thing. I bought the Coleman Roadtrip LXE and it's a really nice grill. I'm looking forward to my next trip, 5 July, just so that I can use it.

porthole
06-02-2018, 08:55 AM
well, later today I can let you know how my setup works - the trailer is in my driveway .....

clev
06-02-2018, 09:20 AM
Well, congratulations, port; I know you’ve waited a long time. Which one did you order?

porthole
06-03-2018, 12:58 AM
The 39 Bath and a half.

clev
06-06-2018, 05:33 PM
Ok, got all the fittings together and have very little output. I need clarification on one fitting. The OE fitting that actually screws to the grill input where the regulator screws in, has a brass insert that looks like a short nail, and it has a spring on top of it. When I screw on the adapter fitting, the short nail is forced backwards, allowing gas to flow, but very little. A few videos kept the nail in place, but others specifically stated to discard it. Being a novice and dealing with LP, I don’t want to screw this up. If anyone is familiar with this, nail and spring.......in or out?

clev
06-07-2018, 10:32 AM
Remove the regulator from your grill. Add a quick connect fitting, DONE.

Second pic shows the shutoff valve. I made the "T" so I could run the BBQ and camp Fire pit at the same time.

https://i.imgur.com/WWKnVRMl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/W9h8ccIl.jpg

Good morning, cummins. On your first picture of the fittings connected directly to the grill, are they straight through with nothing blocking or restricting flow?

clev
06-07-2018, 02:06 PM
Well, after much expense, time, and trouble I have concluded that the Coleman Roadtrip LXE WILL NOT work with the low pressure LP system on my DRV. Coleman told me that before I started, but I didn't believe them. I totally gutted the fittings that connect directly to the grill, so the flow of gas is unrestricted from the DRV's regulator, but the low pressure barely gives enough gas to light. And the flame is so low, it is not adjustable. When connecting directly to a 5 gallon cylinder, or even the small 1 pound cylinder, there is full flame on both burners. So, back to the drawing board. Perhaps a 'T' at the tank before it enters the regulator, and then a separate feed to replace the existing hook-up.

Cummins12V98
06-08-2018, 09:13 AM
"On your first picture of the fittings connected directly to the grill, are they straight through with nothing blocking or restricting flow?"

Straight thru.

Cummins12V98
06-08-2018, 09:15 AM
Well, after much expense, time, and trouble I have concluded that the Coleman Roadtrip LXE WILL NOT work with the low pressure LP system on my DRV. Coleman told me that before I started, but I didn't believe them. I totally gutted the fittings that connect directly to the grill, so the flow of gas is unrestricted from the DRV's regulator, but the low pressure barely gives enough gas to light. And the flame is so low, it is not adjustable. When connecting directly to a 5 gallon cylinder, or even the small 1 pound cylinder, there is full flame on both burners. So, back to the drawing board. Perhaps a 'T' at the tank before it enters the regulator, and then a separate feed to replace the existing hook-up.

I guess you need to step up to the Weber "Q" or Baby "Q". I have used mine since 2005.

clev
06-08-2018, 09:28 AM
I would love to have another grill, cummins, but it’s too late to return this one, and it cost ~$150.

Cummins12V98
06-08-2018, 09:39 AM
Sell it for $100 on CL and carry on!!!

porthole
06-08-2018, 10:12 AM
My grill is a Weber Q200. Been through 3 regulators and finally gave up. I removed the regulator completely and replaced it with a bronze 90 and a propane nipple.

I piped in some adapters to my tank valves and then ran a long hose with an adjustable regulator. This solved the problem of the low flow Weber reg and gave me some distance away from the trailer.

The regulator is a little touchy adjusting, but it allows enough gas flow to let the Weber get hot.

The new trailer tank orientation will not allow my fancy manifold to work as currently setup.

So, I tried another hose I had, added the quick connect (with the shutoff) and used the DRV onboard connection.

This worked ok, not quite the full amount of gas I could get with my adjustable, but it cooked for the first time last night just fine.

porthole
06-08-2018, 10:22 AM
For options - I have a portable hose set up.
This is a tank valve connection with a 1 pound bottle adapter and regulator. This allows my to use the grill away from the RV

The white PVC is a regulator cover for after my pressure is set.

clev
06-08-2018, 10:23 AM
Cummins, port, thanks for advice and recommendations. I have a couple of other options/ideas and will endeavor to persevere.

porthole
06-09-2018, 05:24 AM
Terry, how about a couple of pictures of your grill and regulator ?

clev
06-09-2018, 06:52 AM
OK, I do that a little later today. The cabling is good, I can blow through it. The grill just takes more gas than the low pressure regulator on the coach allows. I'm finishing up the Air Tabs this morning.

wingnut60
06-09-2018, 08:58 AM
porthole,
Thanks for the pics--my Q2000 has had reg problems almost since new. 2 replacements + the burner and still iffy on full use of burner holes. Going to have to mod it like you have.
Joe

clev
06-09-2018, 10:17 AM
Terry, how about a couple of pictures of your grill and regulator ?

Here is the pic. The hose had the POL direct tank connection and I adapted it for the LP nipple. I can blow through it, so there are no restrictions; just not enough LP pressure.

porthole
06-11-2018, 09:58 AM
I would love to have another grill, cummins, but it’s too late to return this one, and it cost ~$150.

I had the same grill you have (was given to me).

In less then two years it was rusted up enough I trashed and pulled the Q200 back out.

Cummins12V98
06-12-2018, 01:02 PM
There are different grades of stainless steel. Weber used the best no doubt since mine has no decay in 13 years.

clev
06-12-2018, 01:07 PM
Well, I’m stuck with this for now and will make the best of it. It’s convenient, has 2-10,000 BTU burners, flat plates for frying, and collapses down to it’s rollers for easy moving and storage. I always clean my equipment after using, so perhaps, this will give good service.

porthole
06-13-2018, 07:33 AM
There are different grades of stainless steel. Weber used the best no doubt since mine has no decay in 13 years.

I was referring to the Coleman. And it didn’t have stainless, the shiny stuff in the pictures is chrome.

Cummins12V98
06-13-2018, 01:50 PM
I was referring to the Coleman. And it didn’t have stainless, the shiny stuff in the pictures is chrome.

I am referring to the burner material.