PDA

View Full Version : Hitch Choice

OneReallyOldGuy
05-25-2018, 06:27 AM
I need advice on which hitch to buy. I am impressed with the B&W Companion 25K. Of course the OEM choice would be the Mopar 25K and then there's Reese. As a relatively short man with a large belly, I'm concerned with how I am going to reach the handle on anything I choose to hitch and unhitch. Suggestions?
I posted a similar thread about a month ago with limited response but I think I posted to the wrong forum.
2018 Ram 3500 dual wheel, Cummins/Aisin/4:10 with the puck system.
DRV 39DBRS3 (21K GVWR) on order

Thanks guys,
Phil

wingnut60
05-25-2018, 10:11 AM
I have the 20k Companion for the Ford OEM hitch, and have used a Companion for the last 11 years towing a Suites. I am short and getting to the release/safety peg is a chore, I usually stand on the outer dual wheel. Still, I like the hitch and quality. One thing to use might be one of the stands that you hang on the dual wheel, or a short folding stepladder.
No way to get around it that I know of. Another problem that I have is when in a curved campsite that places the door away from the road, it pivots the truck/trailer to where it is much more difficult to get to the pin/lever from the driver side--sometimes have had to get in bed from pass side to get to the pin/lever.
Still, I like the Companions design and quality--see lots of combos with the hitch handle sticking way up above the bed rail, just don't like that.
Have NO experience with any other brand of hitch....so my outlook is kind of thin on hitch brands.

Stripit
05-25-2018, 01:47 PM
I had the Hensley hitch on my International truck and I had made up a bar that allowed me to stand next to the truck box, and easily unlatch the hitch without any fuss. I drew up a diagram of my needs, found a shop to bend and weld and $45 later I was good to go. Otherwise I was going to have to figure out a way to get either into or on top of the box to unhitch, no fun and could be dangerous for us heavy guys.

Phaze94
05-30-2018, 11:37 AM
I heard good things about Blue Ox' Hitches.

wingnut60
05-30-2018, 01:02 PM
Stacey,
No help to extend the hitch release--still have to pull the locking hitch pin. My only help is a stepladder if I can't get up on the tire.
Joe

Stripit
05-30-2018, 06:45 PM
Stacey,
No help to extend the hitch release--still have to pull the locking hitch pin. My only help is a stepladder if I can't get up on the tire.
Joe

I had two bars, one to pull the pin, one to move the lever to lock, or unlock. Never did I have to leave the ground, reached over the big wide box and used my two tool.

wingnut60
05-30-2018, 06:57 PM
No help on a B&W--has a locked hitch pin to hold the jaws closed. Even if I could manage to get it out with an extension, can't envision how to place to lock on the pin again.
Designed so it can't come out without moving the locking wire off the pin and getting it back on, well, just doesn't seem possible without getting a hand up there.
Guess the clevis/hitch pin is more aptly called a safety pin???
Joe

Muddflap
05-30-2018, 09:09 PM
I also have a B&W hitch on my dually. I use this:
https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&channel=iphone_bm&source=hp&ei=8VgPW968GaSQ0PEPh5W4WA&q=Heininger+4040+HitchMate+TireStep&oq=Heininger+4040+HitchMate+TireStep&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-hp.3..0j0i22i30.4329.4329..7531...0....76.76.1.... ..0....1j2.......3..41.TaHJPl1KAvI%3D

Stripit
05-31-2018, 05:43 AM
I guess that is a major difference with your hitch and my Trailer Saver by Hensley.

wingnut60
05-31-2018, 11:09 PM
Yeah, better hitch, better operation.

Mtntrek
06-08-2018, 11:07 PM
I'm concerned with how I am going to reach the handle on anything I choose to hitch and unhitch. Suggestions?
I posted a similar thread about a month ago with limited response but I think I posted to the wrong forum.
2018 Ram 3500 dual wheel, Cummins/Aisin/4:10 with the puck system.
DRV 39DBRS3 (21K GVWR) on order
Thanks guys,
Phil
Same issue with any of the hitches.
At 6'1" I still had issues with the tall trucks, especially a padlock or clevis pin.
I picked up a sturdy folding aluminum step stool at HF. It comes in handly for many things besides hitching. Reaching under the hood, washing the TV roof- windshield , etc. etc. I sit on it frequently for other chores. Money well spent.
Happy trails.