PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Bearings

jbeliveau
05-02-2018, 01:50 PM
Can anyone tell me what wheel bearings a 2007 have?

anijet
05-02-2018, 02:57 PM
Ours had Nev-R-Lub from the factory. I don't remember if they were an option or not but have since changed them out to old fashion hand pack bearings.

jbeliveau
05-02-2018, 04:56 PM
Thanks I will have to take the wheel off and find out.Just hope it's a easy fix.

anijet
05-02-2018, 07:20 PM
What is it you need to fix?

stanleyz
05-02-2018, 07:40 PM
I changed out a never lube last year. I don't remember it being a real big problem. Seems like you might need some manly sized tools though. My units an 05 and I've had good luck with the never lubes.

jbeliveau
05-03-2018, 07:00 AM
I had wheels on one side off the ground and one of them wiggled like the nuts were loose.I am far from being a mechanic so what to order and where would be very helpful.

wingnut60
05-03-2018, 08:12 AM
If the wheel is wiggling/loose on the axle--it is time to change the bearing. Nev-R-Lubes are pressed in and you will have to have some manner of pressing it out/back in. Might be best to get the bearing in hand and take the hub to a shop.
They aren't serviceable, just replaceable. Get on etrailer.com and look up the bearing--you will need the 50mm one, not the 42mm.
At the age of the trailer, I would arbitrarily replace all of them. You cannot change bearing style to a conventional grease-packed bearing without getting new axles--the spindles are specific to the Nev-R-Lube.
Do you have the electric drum brakes or disc brakes? It may be easier/less trouble to purchase the drum/hub with the bearing already in place--get the replacement hub/bearing, pull the old one, put the new one on and done.

porkchop
05-03-2018, 08:34 AM
Wing is giving you some excellent advice. Nev-R-Lube is a good bearing set, but yours are aging out. This will probably be the last time you will ever need to change them. He is correct that they are specific to that axle and you can not change the bearing type.
If you have that much wobble I would change it before any more travel. Not a fun job on the side of the road. Good luck

Bill

anijet
05-03-2018, 10:04 AM
By your description you are very lucky. That bearing would have completely failed in only a few miles and many times takes the axle out too. Is there grease showing on the wheel?

The new bearings can be damaged during installation if the person pressing them in doesn't know what they are doing. Check with Kodiak for complete hub assemblies. A lot less hassle and all should be assembled correctly.

jbeliveau
05-03-2018, 12:59 PM
I have Disc brakes.

anijet
05-03-2018, 01:40 PM
Kodiak seems to have remove all information regarding 50mm Nev-R-Lub type equipment from their web site. Suggest calling them. etrailer.com has the bearings only listed.

jbeliveau
05-03-2018, 05:01 PM
I found on their site the 7,000lb integral 8 lug disk brake kit which comes with two hubs for $339.00.Is this the one?

stanleyz
05-03-2018, 05:10 PM
Im gonna check my records. I changed a nevrlube last year a i just took it to thevlocal car shop and they pressed the bearings. First thing get the wheel off and see what you have. I have poor mans brakesbso don t know anything about disc. As i recall you need an inch and a quater socket. I think i got my bearings from trailer whatever, same as everyone above. You might want to put it down and raise the other side and seevhow many are bad. I replaced one but bought two and carry one for a spare. Ill check my records but what the folks above are saying sounds right.

anijet
05-03-2018, 05:25 PM
First thing to do is see if you still have a tag on at least on axle to know for sure which axles you have, 7000# or 8000#. Are you the original owner? What size tires are on it. Here is a sample of an axle tag.

All the info I have is for the 8000# axle and disc brake hubs with 5/8 studs. IIRC the axle nut is 1 7/16 inch. Mine were so tight it took a 3' extension in a 3/4 inch breaker bar.

LCI80 indicates an 8000# axle.

anijet
05-03-2018, 05:45 PM
Axle replacement on the road.

stanleyz
05-03-2018, 05:46 PM
Well, I was close. You need a 1 and 7/16 socket to remove the hub. You will need 3/4 drive tools to get that and use it. If you don't have 3/4 drive socket set you can get a ratchet and socket at one of the china tool stores, northern will do. Then put it in the 5er and carry it in case you need to remove a hub on the road. Leave the wheel down under some pressure until you have loosened the big nut. than raise and remove the hub and bearing. I think there is also a big snap ring in there so you will need some snap ring pliers or you can dig it out with a small screw driver. I can't find what I paid for the bearings but it was $35 a pop to have them pressed. Probably best to change all the bearings but I like adventure so I changed just the bad one and carry enough tools to change one on the road if needed. I also suggest a little infrared thermometer to carry and when you are towing check the hub temp at every stop. Only takes a couple moments and if one is higher than the others all the time it probably needs some attention. Hope this helps.

anijet
05-03-2018, 05:49 PM
New axle going in.

stanleyz
05-03-2018, 05:52 PM
Anijet, looks like you travel prepared. Boy Scout motto, be prepared. Hope it all worked out OK.

anijet
05-03-2018, 05:53 PM
After hub installed.

anijet
05-03-2018, 05:57 PM
Anijet, looks like you travel prepared. Boy Scout motto, be prepared. Hope it all worked out OK.

I try to. Sydney axle change story here:
http://www.5thwheelforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1499

Sorry jbeliveau (http://www.5thwheelforums.com/forums/member.php?u=10348) for the hijack. Back to your bearing issue.

jbeliveau
05-03-2018, 07:41 PM
I have the 16 inch wheels with 7,000 lb axles.I would just buy a replacement hub if I new which one from Dexter.I better just call and talk to them.

stanleyz
05-03-2018, 07:48 PM
Be careful. Use your serial number to make sure. Some of these have 7000 lb axles and 8000 pound hubs. DRV can look it up. Good luck.

anijet
05-03-2018, 08:06 PM
I don't think they used Dexter in 2007. Check with Kodiak.

wingnut60
05-03-2018, 09:38 PM
As far as I know, Kodiak doesn't make the axles, could be wrong. Just the disc hub/rotor/caliper assembly.
Kodiak is not handling NRL bearings any longer, unless they still have old stock.
As mentioned above, get under the trailer and see if there is anything left of the axle tag.

jbeliveau
05-04-2018, 06:18 AM
Sorry I meant Kodiak not Dexter.I just have to know what replacement hubs to get.

jbeliveau
05-04-2018, 08:48 AM
Well I finally got my 75 year old butt under the rv and found I do have 8,000 lb axles.I think I will order the nev-r-lube bearing and find someone to take the old one out and new one in.

anijet
05-04-2018, 09:27 AM
Sounds like you are on your way to a fix. Let us know how it works out.

wingnut60
05-04-2018, 10:57 PM
I had to do somewhat the same thing with my then 72 year old butt--not gonna try it again.
Still suggest you do all the bearings. Saw it mentioned to use an arbor press to correctly do the replacement.

Rockyhud
05-07-2018, 06:21 PM
jbeliveau, I had a need to replace one of the hub/bearing/rotor assemblies with Nev-R-Lube bearings on our 2011 DRV last fall and wound up calling Kodiak and spoke with a Jesse Muldrum who helped me immensely. He not only properly ID'd the axles and brakes I had but also the hub/bearing/rotor I needed to buy. During that time he explained these units were not going to be manufactured in the coming year, in 2018, but they had a pretty good inventory of what I needed at the time. Here's some of the info he needed - the wheel size, in my case being 8-bolt, 17.5" alloy with Goodyear G114 tires and using 5/8 wheel studs. I sent him photos of the rear side, showing the "Kodiak 250" cast into the caliper and the front showing the grease cap and wheel studs. Being you said your RV has 16" wheels you will likely need a different unit, but I would highly recommend calling Kodiak and talking with Jesse. I think you'll be glad you did.

For our RV he advised I needed RTR/HUB-133-8-10XL, costing $107.78 with bearing already pressed in and ready to bolt on. This is the whole assembly so all that has to be done is remove the large spindle nut, remove the whole old rotor assemble and install the new unit. He also said once their inventory of these items was gone the only recourse would be changing axles to something newer.

I heeded his advice about these not being available in the near future and bought 4 units, just in case I have another bearing failure down the road. The price he quoted and charged was too good to pass up. Good luck with your situation.

wingnut60
05-07-2018, 10:39 PM
This is extremely good information--any of you that have Suites with either electric drums or hydraulic discs equipped with NRLs, you should get at least one of the replacement hubs with the bearing already in place.
If I still had my '05, I would get four of the drums with bearings just to save having to replace axles.
FYI--to replace 8k axles with drums/bearings/brakes was about $2600 for me in 2014.
Joe

jbeliveau
05-08-2018, 06:44 PM
Great price as I paid $142.00 for just the bearing which is coming this week.

Cummins12V98
05-08-2018, 07:17 PM
Great price as I paid $142.00 for just the bearing which is coming this week.

Sure hope they offered lube with that price!

jbeliveau
05-09-2018, 09:49 AM
Kodiak is all out off the hubs as of four months ago so I guess companies can charge whatever they want for a bearing without the lube.

jbeliveau
05-09-2018, 04:15 PM
Can anyone help me find where to get a replacement hub as mine is shot.It's really hard when your old and living full time in your rig as no one will come and work on it at your site.If I can just find one to replace it?Thank you guys for all your help.Jim

anijet
05-09-2018, 05:43 PM
Might be time to consider returning the bearing and replace the axles/hubs with the old fashion repackable bearings.

Rockyhud
05-10-2018, 10:21 AM
Jbeliveeau, what type do you need to replace? As I indicated earlier, our unit needed the RTR/HUB-133-8-10XL, which is designed for 8K axles with disc brakes and is 8-lug with 5/8" size lugs. I still have the old hub/bearing/rotor that was replaced. If this is the same as what you need let me know and we can work out how to get it shipped to your location. I'm just talking shipping expense - no cost for the part. This way all you'd need to do (hopefully) is press out the old bearing cartridge and press in the new one you ordered.

Cummins12V98
05-10-2018, 10:22 AM
Might be time to consider returning the bearing and replace the axles/hubs with the old fashion repackable bearings.

I agree! Contact Kodiak to see what is possible.

jbeliveau
05-11-2018, 06:44 AM
Rockyhud I sent you a PM and yes I would gladly pay for shipping and handling.Thank you so much,James

jbeliveau
05-11-2018, 06:47 AM
Oh I just saw that you have a 17 inch wheel and I need a 16 inch hub or does it fit both?

anijet
05-11-2018, 10:18 AM
Wheels will fit fine unless replacement hub has 5/8 inch studs and your wheels are not drilled for 5/8. Bolt pattern is the same. I think the brake disc will be fine but double check dimensions to be sure.

If the stud size is a problem I think the studs can easily be changed.

Cummins12V98
05-12-2018, 05:30 AM
"If the stud size is a problem I think the studs can easily be changed."

YES, I drove out my 9/16 studs and replaced with 5/8 on my 07.5 DRV.