View Full Version : Out of State

04-13-2018, 07:47 PM
We live in Michigan and are heading south to locate and buy a used 5th wheel from either a dealer or an individual in one of the southern states . If we buy from an individual, what will I and the seller need to do to 1.) legally transfer ownership to me and then 2.) legally tow it back to Michigan without a license plate on it? I plan to register (and pay MI state sales tax) and title it in Michigan. I assume I will need a signed Bill of Sale with the seller's name and address on it and also the unit's title showing the seller has no lien on the unit and has signed it over to me. What else will I need? I also assume the seller will want to keep his license plate. In lieu of any license plate, do I put a sign on the back saying "IN TRANSIT" while I'm towing it back to MI? Thanks. Chuck

04-13-2018, 09:32 PM
When I purchased my used 5th wheel and the truck from the same guy, I called my bank manager and had the money wired directly to his account. My manager said wait about 30 minutes and the money will be there. We waited and the seller called his bank and the money was in his account. We then drove to the DMV and signed the paperwork that showed the title was notarized that he no longer owned it. With that signed paper title, he allowed me to keep the plates on the rigs till I returned to Michigan. I then paid the Michigan tax at the DMV . Once I had the Michigan plates on I took a photo to send to him showing I did as I said I would and he said to toss the plates. It worked out perfect for us. Yes i verified that the title vin numbers matched the units, there was no lein and everything was as it should have been.

04-13-2018, 11:17 PM
You should be able to go to the local DMV with the signed Bill of Sale w/VIN number--this should be enough to get a temp permit to take it home, or go by that office prior to the sale and see what they need to issue the temp permit.
Then, if the seller has no lien on the trailer, he should be able to sign it in correct space and you can use it at your home DMV to apply for title and pay taxes. Having the Bill of Sale notarized may help in getting the new title.