PDA

View Full Version : How to re-attach awning support?

Cworthy
04-05-2018, 03:42 PM
I'd hate to look back and see my awning falling and maybe causing a highway accident. Whatever these screws go into is completely stripped, as are all the other screws on these lower-end supports. What's the best approach to secure the awning support?

Thanks!
Craig

http://village.photos/images/user/8ea54dff-ce2e-4750-8567-bcf701e910fd/e62c8ac5-49b6-475e-835e-402e7fdb4f71.jpg

wingnut60
04-10-2018, 08:46 PM
As far as I know, the screws go into whatever is being used for a floor--maybe only 3/4" plywood. If the screw hole is stripped, the first thing to do is to try a larger screw. That may not help for long--stripped out once, will prob strip again. Possibly try liquid wood, or some type of filler in the hole, then replace the screw. Tough situation...

Cworthy
04-13-2018, 03:39 PM
Thanks very much -- I think I will try the liquid wood idea.

Have a great weekend!

As far as I know, the screws go into whatever is being used for a floor--maybe only 3/4" plywood. If the screw hole is stripped, the first thing to do is to try a larger screw. That may not help for long--stripped out once, will prob strip again. Possibly try liquid wood, or some type of filler in the hole, then replace the screw. Tough situation...

wingnut60
04-13-2018, 10:20 PM
Some of the repaired awning support mounts I have seen were moved sideways to access new wood. Looking at the pic--can you access the area behind the wall where the screw is fastened? Might give you some options if you can see/get to that area--has to be something that the screws were in.

Rhagfo
04-13-2018, 11:39 PM
Well I would be concerned with what appears to be a lack sealing behind the brackets! Likely you have water intrusion and the wood is rotted, you might get a good epoxy filler and inject into the holes and let set overnight drill pilot holes then use new screws.