PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Saver BD 3

oldbird
02-08-2018, 10:59 PM
First of all I love this hitch! We used to get slammed so hard I thought the rear axle was going to break, lol. The problem is and always has been for five years now it throws grease all over the bottom of the 5er behind the king pin. Probably my fault putting in to much grease. I'm thinking about making a couple of shields out of sheet metal mounted up and down along the edge of the hitch to 'catch' the grease when its thrown. What do you guys think? Anybody else have this problem?

Rhagfo
02-10-2018, 06:09 PM
First of all I love this hitch! We used to get slammed so hard I thought the rear axle was going to break, lol. The problem is and always has been for five years now it throws grease all over the bottom of the 5er behind the king pin. Probably my fault putting in to much grease. I'm thinking about making a couple of shields out of sheet metal mounted up and down along the edge of the hitch to 'catch' the grease when its thrown. What do you guys think? Anybody else have this problem?

My guess if you were getting slammed so hard you thought the rear axle was going to break, your 5er is just beating the he!! Out of your great mask the issue hitch!
Your 5er has a suppension issue, or weight balance issue I see it is a MS so assume it has shocks, does it tow level? Do you have enough pin weight 20% to 25% on a 5er that heavy.

porkchop
02-10-2018, 06:54 PM
Why in this day and age are you still using grease? Teflon plates are the best way to go. Clean, quiet and maintenance free.

Bill

wingnut60
02-10-2018, 07:50 PM
X2 on the teflon plates....

Joe

Notanlines
02-10-2018, 07:51 PM
Like Porkchop said, ditch the grease. None on the hitch, and none on the plate. Nylon disk only.

Rhagfo
02-10-2018, 07:55 PM
Why in this day and age are you still using grease? Teflon plates are the best way to go. Clean, quiet and maintenance free.

Bill

X2 on the teflon plates....

Joe

I believe the Trailer Saver BD3 has moving parts other than the pin and plate. The hitch plate assembly is supported by air bags, and moves up and down to absorb shocks

oldbird
02-10-2018, 10:57 PM
My guess if you were getting slammed so hard you thought the rear axle was going to break, your 5er is just beating the he!! Out of your great mask the issue hitch!
Your 5er has a suppension issue, or weight balance issue I see it is a MS so assume it has shocks, does it tow level? Do you have enough pin weight 20% to 25% on a 5er that heavy.

I had a Travel Supreme for the first couple of years having this hitch. I think your right about issue's with the Travel Supreme. It had shocks, I even put 17.5 wheels on it but still had blow outs. I even went to Mor/ryde and got the IS put on. All this helped but there was still a problem somewhere. My Mobile Suites is really heavy, 25% pin weight. I haven't had very many problems with it. I'm level and the TS was too.

HAHA, you guys must think I'm from the stone age if you think I use grease on the plate and king pin!! If you don't know about the BD3 it has two big rods on each side that the hitch rides up and down on. It has a couple grease zerts and I probably have been over greasing them.

Cummins12V98
02-11-2018, 10:31 AM
Rhagfo welcome aboard, thinking about a MS?

Rhagfo
02-11-2018, 10:52 AM
Rhagfo welcome aboard, thinking about a MS?

That or an Arctic Fox, but right now our Copper Canyon, is doing well. We have enough storage, keep nice and warm with the Cheap Heat, and the DW loves her large kitchen.

Cummins12V98
02-11-2018, 11:17 AM
There are a couple other DRV Forums. Suites Owners and Thor that has a DRV section.

Chad Heiser
02-11-2018, 07:16 PM
I have the trailer saver tslb2h and have never had it throw any grease on my trailer. I’m not sure why your bd3 would be doing so. I would give trailer saver a call and see if they have any suggestions.

oldbird
02-11-2018, 08:26 PM
I did Chad, he said there was a few reports of grease flying under the over hang but not many. Suggested I use less grease. Today I put some sheet metal up as a shield to see how it works. Cleaning that grease off is murder on my shoulders so I hope with less grease and the sheet metal it will take care of the problem.

wingnut60
02-12-2018, 10:39 AM
Glenn,
Sorry for thinking you were greasing the plates. However, every time I have ever used a grease gun, I have had grease oozing around from using too much. So, like you said, try just one squirt from the lever...I had a cordless gun that was easy to overuse the grease.

oldbird
02-12-2018, 11:53 AM
No problem Joe, don't worry about it. I once bought a 42' enclosed 5th wheel for moving our house hold stuff and it had grease on it. What a mess! I'll have to learn the 'just a squirt' procedure, lol. Take care!

wingnut60
02-13-2018, 08:01 PM
Maybe one push of the lever, instead of a 'squirt'?
Is the BD3 the one with the 3 zerks on each side of the upper section?

oldbird
02-13-2018, 09:02 PM
No, it only has two, one on each side in the middle of the rods.

porthole
02-15-2018, 10:48 AM
I added multiple grease fittings to my ts-3 after I had to replace all the pins at one year from being worn out. Poor design. Anyway, I grease all the moving parts except the top plate of the saddle about every 3-4000 miles. I have never had grease flung on to the trailer.

Can you tell by the location on the trailer where it is coming from on the hitch?

oldbird
02-15-2018, 11:11 AM
The grease starts just behind my Mor/ryde king pin where the wires and cord are, then back towards the door to the basement.