PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Brake

billr
02-25-2006, 12:31 PM
Anyone put an exhaust brake on the Duramax? See some have on the Dodges. Curious how it works out on the chevy??

Any one brand over another? Banks looks interesting?

Anything to worry about effects on engine?

Appreciate any input.

Thanks,
Bill(':?:')

MDTdriver
02-25-2006, 09:05 PM
I have a good friend in Ca. with a 2002 Chev. he put the Banks on his about a year ago says works great on problems so far, did all the work him self had a small wireing problem called Banks they gave real good info on the phone helped him solve his problem.
Good Luck

Larry

Hobo
02-25-2006, 09:27 PM
I us the US Gear exhaust brake on my 03 2500. This is the second truck I have had a US Gear on and have had no problems to speak of. Did have a relay go bad on the first truck, Ford, but no engine problems. I like it and it goes well with the Allison Trans. It is also easyer to get at and install because it is cut into the exhaust pipe.
Good towing, Rick

billr
02-28-2006, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the good info! Appreciate it.

Rick, did you install it? If so, did you need anything additional like an extra installation kit, or just the brake unit kit itself?

I have 4" stainless exhaust and it looks like they make a unit for that, just wondered if it just clamps into place after you remove the section of pipe? Or is some special connections req?

Where did you find was the best spot to mount the switch?

Cheers,
Bill

boobytrap
05-06-2006, 05:18 PM
I put a new unit just put out be PacBrake and when the trans. shifts
down the truck goes BANG !!!. It sounds and feels like the tourqeconverter is going to be blown out of the truck ! Tring to contact PacBrake now.This is on a 2002 Duramax.

chismtrail_er
12-15-2006, 07:11 PM
I asked the service mgr at the dealership I bought my 05 Diesel Dually from, and he said they do not recommend the Exhaust Brake on 3500 models.

I asked why I could order the exhaust brake on a 4500 or 5500 with the EXACT SAME engine/transmision, but he could not answer the question.

Has anyone contacted Chevy/GMC for an answer to this question? Seems like there is a disconnect here.

cptxguys
12-16-2006, 03:55 AM
We tow with at 3500 D/A and haven't seen any need for an exhaust brake with the Allison tow mode. There's lots of opinions on the matter. If you're not aware, you can read many of them on the diesel page

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/index.php

billr
12-16-2006, 02:14 PM
I ended up going with the US Gear Exhaust Brake on my 04 Chevy D/A, mostly due to it being electric actuated instead of having an on board air comp for the pneumatic types. Install was not bad took me about 4-5 hrs.

Been running it for a year pulling the MS and it works well with the tow/haul tranny. I do need to have higher RPM's for it to be effective. It doesn't stand you on your nose, but provides adequate braking to keep me off the trailer brakes on all grades we encounter in the east.

I would likely go with the pacbrake next time, or at least another pneumatic style. Been told they are much more effective.

As far as GM's view on it, they bark at any after market item on the truck! I have had mine in for engine related issues and no mention about the brake so far. I do remove my Edge unit before going in. Guess it depends what dealer you speak to and what the weather is like!!!!

Sounds a bit crazy to say no for the 3500 and yes to the others??

Cheers,
Bill

MDTdriver
12-17-2006, 06:42 PM
Updat about my friend 02 GMC 3500. After about 5,000 miles he had problems, but Banks sent him severl parts to replace and after several months he got it working very good and it still is fine now.

Larry

dougal
01-25-2007, 06:47 AM
I had one installed and it works great. I also had a 4" exhaust and the engine/exhaust noise inceased about 5-10% on an already loud duramax. My only problem so far was the installer had many problems and took 2 days on what he admitted was a 4 hour job. They also screwed up the wiring and I lost my Cruise control till I figured out where the error was.

Low 'n Slow
02-13-2012, 12:01 AM
Added a 4 in exhaust to my '07 Classic and then added a PacBrake...it works great and i wouldn't be without it now.

I added it to my 3500...

Barturo
10-28-2015, 10:44 AM
Not sure what year duramax has vairable vane turbines but 06 and newer have computer controlled turbo brake capability from someone using a laptop and tuning the ecm go to duramax forums and search turbo brake before buying an exhuast brake