View Full Version : Cdl

01-22-2017, 10:54 PM
I have read back a good 5 years worth of posts, and saw a post about 5er length for California. What about drivers licenses? Do I need a CDL to pull a 5er that is less than 40 foot? Do I need any special license in any state?

01-23-2017, 08:18 AM
Most states have a limit of about 65' total length, but some are 75'. Have not heard of anyone being stopped for length unless double-towing.
As to license, it is basically on weight, and the big number is 26001 or over, you need some form of CDL, but not the pro truck driver CDL.
Take my setup--F450, GVWR 14500; '05 Mobile Suites, GVWR 16000. Total gross rating is 30500, definitely high enough to require some sort of special license. Do I have one? No.
The weight requirement is based on what the vehicle(s) are RATED for, not what they weigh--
Since I am getting a newer Suites soon that rates at 19000, I have decided it is time for me to get a non-commercial CDL soon----the guilt factor is driving me to drink...

01-24-2017, 12:15 PM
It depends on what your home state requires. Legal at home as far as license, good everywhere. You do not need a COMMERCIAL license. You may need a specified license. Cal. does require one. Some call it a CDL, some call it something different. No matter what your license is called you can not violate any states rules regarding length, however I have never heard of any one getting measured anywhere. Don't mean it couldn't happen.