PDA

View Full Version : truck tires

oldbird
01-05-2017, 09:17 PM
Everybody is beating the 5er tire subject to death, good subject though. Any recommendations for a top of the line tire for the pickup? With the PW of the MS's I want a tough tire. My Michelins Ribs are about shot at 40K. Any suggestions?

wingnut60
01-06-2017, 05:39 AM
Altho I run 19.5s, I have about 50k on a set of Sailuns and they will go maybe 30k more. You should check them out--lots of good mentions on the RV forums for trailer use, not so much for trucks.
Joe

Cummins12V98
01-06-2017, 07:45 AM
I had a set of MS2's on my 11 Dually that gave good service. I had a set waiting for my ordered 15 Dually, they have 31K and are doing fine. I paid $1,278 for 6 out the door at Discount Tire.

40K on these. Only rotated fronts side to side.

http://i.imgur.com/Zhxn5zml.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/1GZEePGl.jpg

Suite Sweets
01-06-2017, 10:11 AM
Once you've chosen the tires you think you want, go to
http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle-Shoppers/Tires-Rating/Search?brand=Michelin&traction=any&temperature=any&wear=any

On that website, the NHTSA has rated tires for their performance related to traction, heat, and wear. Aside from that, if a manufacturer has the ability to made different qualities of tires, seems logical they'd offer their very best, under their own name. So, Bridgestone owns Firestone. I'd think Bridgestone's best tires are offered under Bridgestone.

And if a tire (or any other quality based product offering) is offered under an unknown name, the only 'selling tool' is price. As individuals, we do not have the capability to appraise tire quality. Some will buy tires over price. The rest of us look for quality, which can be a real search for the means to judge.

oldbird
01-06-2017, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the replies guys, lots to think about. My alignment guy here in town thinks I should get the Nitto grabbers. I have to admit I'm disappointed that the Michelin Rips didn't last very long. I would turn in a claim for them but when my last pickup catch fire I moved them over to my present pickup which voided the warranty. Oh well!

wingnut60
01-06-2017, 07:14 PM
Sweet Suites,
High price does not always mean high quality, or long mileage, or long life. My $365 Michelin XLTs (not sure that is correct letters) on my Suites went 4 years and 2 had tread separations which Michelin would not help with--tons of tread left. Have had better luck with subsequent Coopers and now Sailuns.
But you are correct--finding a consistent high quality tire can be a tough search.

Suite Sweets
01-06-2017, 07:24 PM
Wingnut, Just as high price does not always mean high quality, etc., low price does not mean the absence of such . . . While some say "You get what you pay for.", I disagree, and believe "You never get anything for which you don't pay."
Had I responded only with comments about price, your observations about quality would be better lodged. However, I also directed those with interest to government comparative figures. Again, you can find exceptions. But I think as consumers, we simply cannot do better than those government figures - we don't have the capability. Anything but those (or other) comparative figures, is simply anecdotal.

wingnut60
01-06-2017, 07:55 PM
I agree with you, but when you surf enough RV/truck forums, you can pick up on trends of complaints/incidents--certainly, all ancedotal--but when there are enough posts on a tire brand or anything else, not all of them will be sour grapes, and you have to give some weight to the number of complaints noted against a tire brand/model, etc.

CALinSC
01-06-2017, 09:41 PM
NHTSA has rated tires for their performance related to traction, heat, and wear.

You have described UTQG codes. They do not apply to LT & ST tires.

Suite Sweets
01-06-2017, 10:25 PM
Let's see if I can provide something more germane. Light truck tires, rated by Consumer Reports, I couldn't copy and paste, so I'll provide the 5 best rated tires and their ratings:
Mfg Model Rating
Michelin LTX M/S 74
GoodYear Assurance CS 70
Pirelli Scorpion 68
Continental Cross Contact 68
Cooper Discoverer SRI 68

Cummins12V98
01-07-2017, 08:02 AM
Personally I would not use Consumer Reports for any buying decision.