PDA

View Full Version : how to lift off tires

allucinere
12-26-2016, 01:04 PM
We have a keystone challenger fifth wheel, with new to us tires. It is currently sitting in storage, and we wanted to take all the weight off of the tires, so they can last longer. I am hoping someone can recommend the best way to do this. I did see in my manual for the axle, that you aren’t supposed to put the jack stands on the axle tube or on the equalizers. That said, what would I need to lift this thing off its tires? And where would I put it? Thank you so much 

Stripit
12-26-2016, 06:33 PM
I don't think your going to get any more life out of the tires with them suspended off the ground. RV tires normaly time out before you wear them out, such as 3-4 or 5 years of life, then replace. As for lifting I carried a 6 ton bottle jack that I could place on the spring purch plate that would lift the tire on one side off the ground. If I was working under the trailer and had the wheel off I used a jack stand under the frame rail as a support just in case.

wingnut60
12-26-2016, 11:02 PM
Same for me--no real advantage to keeping the weight off when not using. If you do lift it, as Stacey said--bottle jacks on the spring plate to lift, then a solid jack on the frame for a solid mount.
Lot of work for very little, if any, gain.
Joe
And, welcome to the forum.