PDA

View Full Version : New to Fifth Wheels

USMC Beirut Vet
12-22-2016, 05:58 PM
My wife and I are retired and plan on moving our fifth wheel on our sons property here in California. He lives in the country. We will have it hooked up to power and water and live in it in between our vacations we will take with our trailer. Does anyone have any experience in doing this, particularly in California? Were told that most places wont let you live in your RV full time. I don't understand that since there are full timers all over the nation.

Stripit
12-23-2016, 08:28 AM
You really need to go to city hall and check the zoning laws in the area your thinking of staying in your trailer. Yes there are lots of full time folks living in 5th wheels, motorhomes and travel trailers, but for the most part they are either in rv parks or BML land that permits staying. Some zoning laws will permit an rv to be parked on the land but not occupied. Check out the rules before you get yourself or your son into a fix. If everything is legal, go for it. Great way to save money and enjoy your rv.

wingnut60
12-23-2016, 11:40 AM
As above, check out local ordinances. If out of the city limits, then county rules apply,--but cities are always expanding their area of influence. If truly in the 'country' probably you will be ok if you can hook up to a septic system, and if a nosy neighbor doesn't take offense at your living in it. And...California doesn't live like the rest of the US, keep that in mind.
Sounds like a great situation if you can pull it off.
Joe