PDA

View Full Version : Cold weather camping

Amurdock
12-13-2016, 10:06 PM
I stay in my camper for work and I am in St. Louis, it is cold and I have taken measures to keep the incoming water from freezing but worried about holding tanks. Some say to drain them some say not to drain so we put some Antifreeze in the holding tanks and did not drain but will need to do so tomorrow evening after showers. Will it be ok or am I doing it wrong?

wingnut60
12-14-2016, 05:31 AM
First, is the undercarriage (area under floor and between frame rails) enclosed? If so, is it heated by a furnace duct?
Don't know what trailer you have or the access to the tanks/location of tanks. Some source of heat (space heater/100 watt bulb) can really help some to keep areas warm.
Certainly AF in the tanks should help--hope you are using non-toxic stuff?
Joe

Amurdock
12-14-2016, 08:01 AM
Thanks Joe and yes it is the RV antifreeze. We have a Raven CK3300 and yes it has the winter package

Suite Sweets
12-26-2016, 08:37 AM
In your holding tanks, you can accumulate a fair amount of water - 20, 30 gallons. It can take a lot of anti-freeze to keep that from freezing (depending of course on temperature, insulation, heat source, etc.). My suggestion - leave the gray water tank open, leave the black water tank open (and use campground facilities for solid waste disposal). Don't leave the black tank open and us it for solid waste.
There are heated water hoses which will assure you of a water supply.