PDA

View Full Version : cell phone signal booster?

oldbird
12-10-2016, 09:54 AM
What do you guys use and what are your recommendations for getting a good one?

wingnut60
12-10-2016, 02:09 PM
Check out
www.maximumsignal.com

wingnut60
12-10-2016, 10:08 PM
Or, if you want to learn about which products actually work, check out:

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox/158a7fc41ab9b8a9

They know everything about mobile internet/cell service and test all products as they come on the market. You may have to buy a membership to get all the details on some of the testing/results. This is a good read for anyone wanting to know the ins and outs of mobile cell/internet service

Joe

oldbird
12-10-2016, 10:23 PM
Thanks Joe, I will check it out. I was going to get a better Wilson then I have but read terrible reviews on them. The one I have didn't do much good at all. I was going to upgrade but that's when I read the reviews. I have a internet satellite so don't care about internet service, unless I'm in the trees of course.

wingnut60
12-10-2016, 11:11 PM
I have one of the older Wilsons--works better than not having it. Doing some studying on an upgrade and I think I am going to get one of the MaxSig units for the both the trailer and my truck. He makes a swap setup where you can use same booster for truck and trailer, but you have to move it between vehicles, so going to go with 2 units. Pricey, but some of it is a job necessity for me. Won't be doing this til next spring.
Lots of tech stuff out there, some of it barely better than a soup can and string--problem is to figure out what will work best for your needs.
Joe

Cummins12V98
12-11-2016, 09:21 AM
In my experience the Company is more important than anything else. I have found having owned about every brand out there Verizon has them all beat for coverage.

oldbird
12-11-2016, 09:44 AM
What does that have to do with being in a very poor coverage area of any and all carriers? Regardless of the cell company you have you should be able to roam on any of them. I can say the same thing about cell phone internet service, when you don't have a signal, your not online. I can be on top of a mountain and raise up my internet satellite and be online. What I'm trying to say here is when the signal is weak, a booster comes in handy. I don't always camp around big cities.

Cummins12V98
12-12-2016, 10:18 AM
^^^^^^^ "What do you guys use and what are your recommendations for getting a good one?"

YOU did NOT say that NONE of the other carriers had good signals!

To answer your revised question Wilson has been good in the past.

oldbird
12-12-2016, 05:37 PM
I guess I'll say it now, 'none of the other carriers have a good signal in the UP of MI'. I can get one bar of AT&T and that's it. We spend about a month up there every summer and I feel like I'm on the north pole when I'm there. I will agree that Verizon is about the best nation wide but unless you have a satellite phone your out of luck in some places. I had a few trees cut down last summer and I'm hoping that I can get the MS in a spot to get satellite reception on my intra-sat 840. I had another birch tree topped so hopefully I'll be able to us my winegard G2 to get TV. Oh, the obstacles of traveling, lol. :)

wingnut60
12-13-2016, 01:53 PM
There isn't any one perfect 'booster'--they all have some limitations, or just plain pricey.
Reading up on them by internet reviews is a good start to keep you from buying something that isn't right for you. And everyday, the technology is improving, so what is best now will be less so 6-12 months from now.
Joe

Dapperdan
12-13-2016, 04:08 PM
We spent 3 weeks in the UP this fall and had fairly good reception with our US Cellular service. That is until we got closer to Copper Harbor, up there was NO signal. :mrgreen:

I have no experience with boosters but I'm watching this thread for experienced opinions. Sorry for hijacking the post.

Dan

oldbird
12-13-2016, 04:31 PM
Your not hijacking Dan, yes, the signals are OK in some spots and non existence in other. About ten years ago I bought a Z pocket signal booster and it worked OK but it was just for analog signals. I have a not so expensive Wilson now and it doesn't do hardly any good. I was going to upgrade to a better Wilson but the reviews on it are horrible. We stay just 30 miles north west of Mackinaw Bridge so all I'm trying to do is draw in a signal from 30 miles away :o!

Lewin Kuster
12-24-2016, 03:11 PM
I live at the edge of the Beartooths in MT. where Verizon is very spotty. I use Wilson amps with a mag mount on both trucks and one on my steel roof. Without the amps I am dead at home and mobile. Of course the catch is I use an older flip open phone (LG) with an external antenna jack. This means a tether but it works for me even in the outback in AZ. and NM. Luke

wingnut60
12-25-2016, 05:03 PM
"I live at the edge of the Beartooths in MT."
What a burden to have to live with....