PDA

View Full Version : Another total beginner

Liberty 1776
05-01-2016, 05:40 PM
After speaking to many people that own them, my wife and I have decided to switch from the Class C campers we have had in the past, to a 5th wheel. I know the truck I just got will handle anything we decide to get, (7.3L F350 dually), but my question revolves around exactly how long a trailer am I shooting for.

I've never driven a 5th wheel and am unsure about going too big - anything over 30 ft is sort of mentally intimidating.

So - my question is - is there that much difference in towing something in the 36-39 foot range, compared to a trailer under 32 Ft? I guess I'm asking about the "feel" of it, if that concept makes sense.

Thank you for any constructive input...

wingnut60
05-01-2016, 08:30 PM
To me, the difference is in turning corners--the fiver will track inside of the trailer and you really have to be conscious of curbs, signs and trees. Longer is worse on this. And, of course, where you can fit for an rv campsite...
And, welcome to the forum.
Joe

Stevencoles
05-04-2016, 08:37 AM
As a total novice to pulling a fiver twenty months ago it was super intimidating to hook up our 38.6 ft 20k Unit. Yes we had a couple ok run ins with curbs, and a bad one with a tree to the nose, but now it seems pretty old hat. Still have to stay on your toes and be alert. Truly believe that it wouldn't be much different between 34 and 40 ft, the main issue would be the size of the site you need, driving down the road would be pretty close in the experience.