PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Brakes

Cdunnje
03-29-2016, 12:13 PM
Hi all, the age old question, why aren't my trailer brakes showing connected and functioning. I have a 2015 Ram 3500 with factory controller, bought unit used. I have a socket tester, bumper mounted and bed mounted plug receptacles have tried both plugs, tester shows no signal with gain on 10 and slider fully over. I am getting a light pulsing on tester and when I put Vdc tester to brake I get zero voltage but the same ligh pulsing. Any thoughts? I've checked fuses or at least as many as I could identify seems to be 5-6 of them. Thanks, really appreciate, worried dealer would look at me as if I had two heads. Jeff

wingnut60
03-29-2016, 09:36 PM
Sorry that I can't help with a Ram, but Fords have 2 sets of fuses--the ones for the trailer are all under the hood. Does the Ram have a second fuse box?
Are you saying you have connected to the trailer and it doesn't recognize the trailer? Or are you saying you can't get a tester to show power?
Do you have a friend with a trailer to hook to and see what happens?
And most of these connection problems end up being a bad ground...

Also, welcome to the forum.

Joe

Cdunnje
03-30-2016, 05:28 AM
Thanks Joe for quick response, I was hooked to trailer and it showed trailer not connected, I bought plug in tester and checked receptacles and it shows no signal from controller, I hooked up voltmeter to receptacle and could not get any Vdc signal with slide on controller all the way over. Both with the plug in tester and voltmeter I am getting a pulsing light, very faint, but no light in tester , no volts showing on meter

wingnut60
03-30-2016, 08:11 AM
Does sound like it is the controller--any hitch shop will have a tester that will show all functions by lightup, might take it by one of those and have them look at it. Just to confirm your thoughts.
Joe

Cdunnje
03-30-2016, 10:03 AM
Thanks Joe, I'm going to check fuses one last time in case I missed something then run it by shop