PDA

View Full Version : Manual Operation of Hydraulic Pump

rperrym
02-17-2016, 06:58 AM
Can anyone tell me what type of bit is used to manually operate the hydraulic pump on a Lippert supplied hydraulic system. I called DRV, but could not get an answer from them. We have an 09 Mobile Suites, but I think the hydraulic system is common to other fifth wheels.

Rick

wingnut60
02-17-2016, 07:13 AM
I believe it is a common size--somewhere else here or on the SOITC site there is a discussion of the extension tool supplied with some of the newer units. Should be a covering on the pump that is removable--take it off and try some bits to get the size.
If you can't figure it out, I'll be back home Friday and let you know.
If you happen to have the gen prep package, there is a removable panel just opposite the pump end on the gen wall that is used to access the pump.
Joe

rperrym
02-17-2016, 07:33 AM
Thanks for the reply Joe.
I called DRV about the posts that mentioned the tool supplied with newer units, but both parts and tech support did not know what I was talking about and did not know what tool I should use.
That was puzzling.
I did open the small access door and look into the end of the pump, but still could not clearly see what would fit the opening. I did not want to take a chance on stripping out the pump fitting. We are not having problems, but just wanted to have it on hand in case we do.
I would appreciate hearing what you find out on Friday.

Rick

wingnut60
02-19-2016, 03:52 PM
The nut on the end of the pump is a 1/4" hex nut. There is a seal over the nut that has to come off to access it.
I do not know enough about the pump to say whether the rotation direction of the pump dictates in/out on slides, or if that is controlled by the valving with the motor direction always the same, but there are arrows on the seal indicating C/W-CCW direction.
Hope this helps a little.
Not puzzling about lack of info over the phone--seems you either get a good one or a non-caring one when calling.
Joe

rperrym
02-19-2016, 04:00 PM
Well, I got a call back from another Tech Support guy at DRV, and he said it would take a 1/4 " square socket???
I have the Generator prep, and mine is turned sideways towards the wall of the steel storage area. I opened the access port, and peeled off a label, or seal, and it fell down between the walls. It is hard to see inside to get a good look at the fitting.
If mine is also a hex fitting, what would I use to operate it? I don't remember seeing a hex socket.
Thanks for the reply.
Rick

porkchop
02-19-2016, 07:22 PM
Right. It's a 1/4" square head. Not hex head. Not a nut. Available at any auto parts or Harbor Freight or big box lumber store. Get a flash light while you're there. You will be able to see better. The paper is just informational. Serves no real purpose. An electric or cordless drill will work good. You could not ratchet fast enough to build pressure.

Bill

wingnut60
02-19-2016, 07:57 PM
I have a spare pump I just purchased from a forum member--it has a HEX DRIVE head bolt. That is, a 1/4" allen wrench (just to describe shape with no confusion) would fit the hex head, but you would need a long enough straight piece that would reach from the drill to the pump head. The paper cover itself says 1/4" hex.
Joe

porkchop
02-20-2016, 09:10 AM
Yours is different than mine then. I just went out and checked and it's a 1/4" square. I took a 1/4" drive socket 12" extension and it fit right in tightly and turned correctly.

Bill

wingnut60
02-20-2016, 09:22 AM
Good mention Bill--my unit is an '05 and the pump is out of an '09, so don't know when they may be putting in different pumps.
Joe

rperrym
02-22-2016, 12:38 PM
Thanks Bill and Joe. I checked mine today, and a 1/4" allen wrench fits it perfectly. Now to find something that works in my drill.

Rick