PDA

View Full Version : To Top or not to Top??

oldbird
02-01-2016, 02:32 PM
Hi! My 08 I just got was stored indoors most of its life and never used that much. I'll fix that soon! LOL Anyway, it didn't come with slide toppers, what do you guys think are the advantages and disadvantages of slide toppers. Thanks!

GlennWest
02-01-2016, 03:21 PM
Keep slide out room cooler, make a lot of noise in wind.

netjam
02-01-2016, 06:01 PM
Glenn is right on. I might add that snow on them is terrible if you have to move. The snow rolls up in the toppers making it really difficult to bring the slides in. You need to sweep all the snow off really well before attempting to bring the slides in.

porkchop
02-01-2016, 06:10 PM
Keeps slide room ceiling cooler in the sun. Do NOT make noise in wind if adjusted properly. Keeps leaves and stuff off slide roof.
Good luck

Bill

netjam
02-01-2016, 06:28 PM
Wow...no wind noise. I've had 3 sets of toppers on 2 rvs and its always been noisy. I even have had an awning/topper guy tell me noise is the nature of toppers, you have to live with the noise. Guess I'll investigate adjusting them again.

porkchop
02-01-2016, 07:03 PM
I'm in my 5th DRV. 1st made noise. 2nd made noise until neighbor showed me how to properly adjust. 3rd-4th-5th no noise after adjustment. I don't listen to or believe what sales or maintenance people tell me. Show me and you have a believer.

Bill

oldbird
02-01-2016, 08:22 PM
Thanks guys for the replies. I went to get some pricing today. 2K for three slides don't seem to bad, especially because one of the places I go in the summer is the UP of MI national forest. It literary rains seeds, tree branches, etc.

Kerry
02-02-2016, 12:09 AM
I'm in my 5th DRV. 1st made noise. 2nd made noise until neighbor showed me how to properly adjust. 3rd-4th-5th no noise after adjustment. I don't listen to or believe what sales or maintenance people tell me. Show me and you have a believer.

Bill

How did, or do, you adjust ??

terry and jo
02-02-2016, 09:48 AM
Since we are originally from Oklahoma, we didn't order our coach with toppers because the wind can literally tear them up there. Our dealer told us that they never order a stock unit with toppers.

Even with the toppers, I'd think that there might be a chance that stuff could still get in under the toppers and on top of the slide should the winds/breezes be just right.

I guess that since I may not know the wind conditions in places we want to go, I'll still pass on the toppers.

Terry

Cummins12V98
02-02-2016, 10:09 AM
old bird, don't waste your money! I had them they were not noisy. The fact is if it's wet and there are leaves and needles on the topper you still have to go up on the roof and clean them off no different than without toppers.

Do you like the thought of bringing in your slides when the wind blows hard?

I had them on one rig now I am on my second without and I would never have them again.

Suite Sweets
12-10-2016, 07:59 PM
I don't have toppers, or I try Rain-X. That may keep the wet leaves and needles from sticking to the topper. Any thoughts ?

wingnut60
12-10-2016, 10:05 PM
I think slide toppers are an option you have to have once to see if they work for you. Had them on a TT, don't on the Suites--have better use for my money.
Joe

Cummins12V98
12-11-2016, 09:19 AM
I don't have toppers, or I try Rain-X. That may keep the wet leaves and needles from sticking to the topper. Any thoughts ?

Personally think RainX is a horrible product for it's intended use and can't imagine it would do a darn thing to magically get the needles and leaves to come off the toppers before retracting them.

Suite Sweets
12-11-2016, 06:32 PM
Twice I've had wiper motor failure, and used Rain-X with excellent success. Pulled under a canopy, applied product per directions, and motored on down the road. However, on further research, original Rain-X not for plastic - advised to use Rain-X for Plastic.
For me, the question and solution have become moot. Have decided not to order toppers with new Suite. Thanks both for your observations.

oldbird
12-11-2016, 07:44 PM
You can always add them later like I did.

Cummins12V98
12-13-2016, 10:00 AM
Twice I've had wiper motor failure, and used Rain-X with excellent success. Pulled under a canopy, applied product per directions, and motored on down the road. However, on further research, original Rain-X not for plastic - advised to use Rain-X for Plastic.
For me, the question and solution have become moot. Have decided not to order toppers with new Suite. Thanks both for your observations.

You won't miss them!