PDA

View Full Version : short bed truck without slider hitch?

210 flyer
10-13-2015, 09:38 PM
I just bought a new short bed truck out of town, thinking I could find a slider hitch and head back home, but I can not find one and need to use my non slider to get back home. If I am very careful can I do this? Has anyone done this? This is the first short bed truck I`ve had.

Kerry
10-13-2015, 10:32 PM
What kind of truck did you buy that you could not find a slider hitch for ??

210 flyer
10-13-2015, 10:40 PM
I did not mean that I could not find a slider hitch, but that I can not get one shipped to me before I must leave MT.

Kerry
10-13-2015, 11:59 PM
Any dealer who installs hitches should have slider hitches in stock, still not knowing what kind of truck you have or what type set up you have in your bed. You can tow without a slider but when making turns, especially sharp uphill and downhill, you have to watch getting your 5W into the cab of your truck. Still not knowing what set up you have, some 5W's have different front caps that eliminate some of the jackknife problems. When I was in the business, I always recommended a slider hitch on any short bed.

210 flyer
10-14-2015, 06:52 AM
Thanks Kerry for your response. I bought a new dodge 2500 cummins diesel. I have been on craigslist and even drove 200 miles round trip to look at a used slider but it was crap. I will have one shipped to me when I get to home base, but I need to leave for home right away, and shipping is 9 days away for a slider.

210 flyer
10-14-2015, 06:59 AM
Thanks Kerry for your reply. I bought a new Dodge 2500 short bed Cummins diesel. I have looked in the area I am IN where I got this truck , but even a used one with in 100 miles of here is not to be found, so I must leave for home base today. I cannot get a slider shipped to me for 9 days, but must go now. So I will put my standard hitch in new truck and carefully head back to AZ. and get one shipped to me.

wingnut60
10-14-2015, 08:49 AM
I towed my Suites originally with a SB F350 without a problem. You just have to be VERY careful on turns, particularly if backing up. Going forward, the angle of the turn will be dictated by the turn radius of the truck, which MIGHT NOT be tight enough for contact with the cab--but in backing, you can EASILY hit the cab/window. Contact will be most possible when refueling and you find that you have to back up to get out--use the big truck lanes at truck stops until you get a new hitch.
Good luck, safe travels.
Joe

210 flyer
10-14-2015, 10:03 AM
Thanks Joe for that info. That eases my mind some. Yes, I will be very careful and use only truck fuel lanes when refueling, and wide turns and pull through spaces until I get back home and get new hitch. Duane