View Full Version : Driving in Canada - Need Special License?

David Peck
08-28-2015, 11:09 AM
My wife and I were planning to travel to Quebec and Ontario later this Fall. Does anyone know if I would need a special driver's license to travel there? We travel with a DRV Elite Suites weighing 19,500 lb., pulled by a F-350 with dually's...
David Peck

08-28-2015, 02:20 PM
If you have a valid state or provincial drivers license, you are good.

08-28-2015, 06:37 PM
If the licence you now have allows you to legally pull your heavy trailer in your home state or province, then it is good for all Canada.

08-29-2015, 08:26 AM
BTW, for Ontario residents pulling 19,500 requires an AClass restricted/ Much similar to residents of the state of Texas.

08-29-2015, 12:13 PM
You should not have any problem unless some of that 19500lbs is firewater, firewood or firearms...if you have a passport to show them, they have never asked me for a driver's license. But also, haven't been introduced to any of the mounties, either, by way of a traffic stop.

08-29-2015, 01:40 PM
WN60 - FYI Our Policing in Quebec and Ontario is much similar to USA -Provincial Police and Municipal Police vs Troopers and Sherriffs. Our Commercial Vehicles enforcement is called MTO in Ontario, re weigh stations DOT in the USA.