PDA

View Full Version : REALLY new...

Dory-Al
08-16-2015, 04:38 PM
Hi all! My husband and I are starting our research on full-time fifth wheel living. Personally, I have never known anyone that RV'd, but my husband has...so I have A LOT to learn! Do you know if there's some kind of course that's offered for how to operate your RV (all the new lingo...the gray/black water, the hook ups, the DRIVING)? I feel a bit overwhelmed by all of it. I really need to know how to drive a truck with a towed vehicle...
thanks for any and all advice! I'll be perusing the various boards and making notes. We're going to start attending RV shows, but I'm not sure what to expect. :confused:

MooseSuite
08-17-2015, 05:50 AM
Just make sure before you take the plunge, that you test the waters first. After 10 yrs on the road, the lifestyle of full timing is not for most, and can be expensive.
Have some open discussion with FTs, and I suggest not by e mail or on computers, but one on one. Understand the pros and cons.

Dory-Al
08-17-2015, 06:37 AM
Thanks, MooseSuite...I was thinking we could rent a trailer for a vacation or two (or three). But I have never driven a towed vehicle before. That's why I was hoping that there would be some sort of "class" or instruction about how to tow a trailer.
Perhaps the RV dealers would know this information.

wingnut60
08-17-2015, 08:24 AM
Check out YouTube videos for some basice ideas...
Also:

www.RVBasictraining.com

www.RVTrainingschool.com

www.RVSchool.com/school-locations/

These ought to give you something to think about...

And, welcome to the 5thwheelsforums

Joe

Dory-Al
08-17-2015, 08:42 AM
Thank you! I've requested videos and books from our library, but they haven't come in yet.

hitchup
08-17-2015, 12:26 PM
We rented a Cls C from a private party back in 1978. From then on we were hooked. It took another 20 yrs before we bought one, but we arranged our life and jobs so we could start fulltiming for over 10 yrs now and wouldn't live any other way.

The forums have the best information. Just some forums are harder to get the exact information you're seeking. Facebook RV Group have also become a good source. From where to stay to how to deal with X Y or Z.