PDA

View Full Version : More thoughts on Internet and Fulltiming

MDTdriver
11-27-2005, 12:44 AM
We have been on the road since June 2000. When we spend the summer in Wi. we have DSL thanks to a family member.
The rest of the year we had Verzion cell internet (slow) but better than 0.
We could go into internet room in camp grounds but our laptop was wi
Windows 98 not much faster than cell phone.
The first on Nov. 05 we spent the $ for Direct Way broad band internet.
Which is want I am on now, not as good as DSL but much better than Cell.
We have two desk tops in our 5er so we both are on even at the same time. Just food for thought.
PS: we have a great dealer for instalatin for rv Direct Way, which D-Way say you should not do. But a lot do.
If you would more info, or like to have D-Way, e-mail me and I will send you dealer info or phone #.
Hope to see you on the road.
Larry & Kathy

Hobo
11-27-2005, 12:18 PM
Here is a great link that will put you in touch with other DirecWay users and installers.
http://www.datastormusers.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/index.html

I have found it to a great wealth of info before and after the purchase.

Motor31
11-27-2005, 01:28 PM
MDTdriver,

What do you want to know about D-way? You can ask me here or send me a message through the bbs. I'll be happy to answer your questions.

MarineChief
01-31-2006, 11:32 PM
It's been over a year since anyone has "written" to this slot on the forum. But figured I would add in my recent information.

We're using verizon wireless broadband service. It runs 60/month (plus taxes, etc) so toatl is really closer to 80/month. Anyway the speed results from online testing services gave over 750kbps download and 125kbps upload. Note that this is also regardless of trees in the area which could/would block a satellite link. I have to admit that it IS musch faster that the previous verizon service that I had (pre-broadband and 20/month higher fee).

Anyway I've been quite satisfied to date.

RodeWorthy
02-01-2006, 01:05 AM
Thanks MarineChief. These old post do get read when someone updates them. Just wanted to let you you know I appreciated your information. Is that a bundled service you have with Verizon or strictly Internet?

RodeWorthy

Hobo
02-01-2006, 10:47 AM
It's been over a year since anyone has "written" to this slot on the forum. But figured I would add in my recent information.

We're using verizon wireless broadband service. It runs 60/month (plus taxes, etc) so toatl is really closer to 80/month. Anyway the speed results from online testing services gave over 750kbps download and 125kbps upload. Note that this is also regardless of trees in the area which could/would block a satellite link. I have to admit that it IS musch faster that the previous verizon service that I had (pre-broadband and 20/month higher fee).
Anyway I've been quite satisfied to date.

Chief is this the same service that Verizon is advertising as available in 700 + metropolitan areas.

MarineChief
02-01-2006, 07:29 PM
To RodeWorthy - The package I have is NOT bundled - even though I have Verizon as my cell service. I use the computer card (slips into the pcimia slot - or whatever the proper name is) to access the internet. I did NOT however, get an email address with this service and I use Hotmail and a web-based service I already had (NOT from an ISP). I believe the card is voice capable and can be used to dial out for FAXes (if I had the proper FAX program - haven't been able to get Microsloth FAX to work). Anyway if these are used then there is a different connection and a 25-cent per minute charge applies. Figure if I need to FAX then I'll go to an office store, make a temp connection to a landline (if available), or look for a web-based service like e-fax.

The wireless card service was what was originally available to me when we moved out of the house to an apartment while waiting for the Teton to be purchased and constructed. The new address did not support the dsl service that I had before the move. The wireless card itself was found at an RV show booth in Timonium, MD and after some thought I decided that was the way to go. Original card was a Sierra Wireless AirCard 555 and service was pretty widespread but really not too fast. BUT it was quicker that dial-up and cheaper than any satellite service at that time. The "new-in-two" program offered through Verizon got me my current card (an Audiovox PC5740) which has the broadband feature and runs at least five times faster than the previous card. I tested its speed at 785 kbps down and 125 kbps upload (I don't upload all that often, so not a problem). The only connection problems I've had was in the Badlands of SD. Most everyone has trouble in the hills like this though. So... just took a trip to the parking lot at Crazy Horse and could download emails and perform banking operations - therefore, not a problem (again).

In all honesty there are faster connections out there to be had (satellite). But I'm retired and haven't the need-for-speed anymore, nor want to pay the expense of a dish setup. Also the wireless card works in the trees - at least I haven't had trouble there.

To Hobo - Yes I believe that you got the advertisement connected to the right card. So far I'm pretty well pleased with what I got. I've been also thinking about adding in the MS Office Kit should I be able to send a FAX though this service - also I believe its a good way to link the phone book to the computer so that I don't have to re-enter all the phone numbers when changing phones (what a pain). But in all reality I do not need this service at this time - its just a wish list kind of thing.

Hope the info is helpful - and the writing not too long :)

rufnit
02-08-2006, 07:59 PM
MarineChief, glad you're happy with your Verizon card. I have the same thing and I'm severly disappointed. If I just happen to find a place that has a full signal I get very good speeds. Only problem is, I rarely find a place that the card is even usable. I also have a Verizon phone and many times I have a good signal with the phone and nothing with the card. We'll be moving to fulltiming in the next two years and I'll be going with a Datastorm. I also tried the Sprint connection card and it was not much better than the Verizon.

rotaxman
02-08-2006, 08:15 PM
rufnit

Go to Best Buy and buy a package called Data Pilot it comes with some software and some hardware. I makes your phone into a celluar modem so when you get a siginal with your phone you will be able to connect. It comes with about 8 or 10 different cords for different cell phones. Costs about 80 bucks mine works like a charm. When I get retired in 363 days from today I will be using Direcway for my internet provider. The Data Pilot will be for time when we are just stopping for a short time and don't want to set up the dish. Hope this helps. As always good camping.

MDTdriver
02-09-2006, 09:10 PM
We are very happy with our D-Way setup. I setup it up if we are stopping for 2 nights or more. It works any place in the USA we do not leave the country to much to see and spend our $ here in USA.
I have the room in my front storage under the living room, bed room is in the rear of 5er.
It take me 25 mins. or less but I am getting better at it, only had it since Nov. 05.
Down loads are faster than Verizon cell phone internet I use for 2 years. I love Verizon been with them since 1987 called Pac Bell then. Next was Airtouch then Verizon. I thought Airtouch was a better name.

Larry & Kathy plus Mojo

LindaH
08-10-2009, 10:45 AM
MarineChief, glad you're happy with your Verizon card. I have the same thing and I'm severly disappointed. If I just happen to find a place that has a full signal I get very good speeds. Only problem is, I rarely find a place that the card is even usable. I also have a Verizon phone and many times I have a good signal with the phone and nothing with the card. We'll be moving to fulltiming in the next two years and I'll be going with a Datastorm. I also tried the Sprint connection card and it was not much better than the Verizon.
Sounds to me like you need an external antenna and an amplifier to boost the signal in those fringe areas.

We have a Verizon air card plus an external antenna and an amplifier. While there are still places with no cell coverage, we're often surprised at the places where we DO get a useable signal for Internet...it can sometimes be in a slow area, but when we're in an EVDO area, speeds are faster than satellite Internet (which we used to have).

MarineChief
11-14-2010, 08:10 PM
I see this thread is still partially active and figured that I would update my connection information.

Although it HAS been several years since this started I see that it suprizingly has merit. First we changed our living conditions in 2008 by exchanging our 5er & MDT for a motorcoach (I hope that doesn't make me a trader). We just could no longer afford to use the MDT as primary transportation when fuel was nearly $5.00/gal (we had passed the Civic along to our daughter - was really too long of a tow with the car added to the trailer).

ANYWAY (or getting to the point) - my latest update is using the Verizon Wireless MiFi2200 card. I am absolutely estactic about the speed this now gives me. Sitting here (have an EXCELLENT signal) I ran a test using TestMySpeed.com and got the following results:
Download 2328Kbps Upload 601Kbps

Pricing is still what is was and hasn't yet gone up (other than tax up/down variations). I've had this service since before limits so I am grandfathered on a TRUELY UNLIMITED amount of data (not the 5gig limits that many have imposed). However, in all honesty I don't often use that much data exchange - I don't usually stream video (only small youtube style bits), haven't downloaded movies or music and genrally use it for blog, forums and emails.

Hope this finds everyone well and enjoying their own RV lifestyle !!!

hitchup
11-15-2010, 09:55 AM
Although it HAS been several years since this started I see that it suprizingly has merit. First we changed our living conditions in 2008 by exchanging our 5er & MDT for a motorcoach (I hope that doesn't make me a trader). We just could no longer afford to use the MDT as primary transportation when fuel was nearly $5.00/gal (we had passed the Civic along to our daughter - was really too long of a tow with the car added to the trailer).

Hope this finds everyone well and enjoying their own RV lifestyle !!!

You are only a Trader if you traded your Teton for the A-Bus, but we wouldn't consider you a Traitor, because it sounds like you're still FTing in an RV.

Might add, that when our working status changes, we would consider an Allegro Bus over some of the others. It's too many years off in the future though. :-(

Huck
11-15-2010, 10:47 AM
my latest update is using the Verizon Wireless MiFi2200 card. I am absolutely estactic about the speed this now gives me. Sitting here (have an EXCELLENT signal) I ran a test using TestMySpeed.com and got the following results:
I also have had verizon air cards for many years. whenever I change cards I always get one that Will accept an antenna and signal booster.

Can I ask how much per month for the wifi2200 card? I have always paid about $60.

MarineChief
11-15-2010, 12:59 PM
to Hitchup:
Thanks for the support - (I didn't realize my syntax error until you pointed it out). It HAS been a good life as a full-timer. Even though we now live in a motorcoach I can see there is still MUCH information available on the 5thwheel forum. Good luck in your future !!

To Huck:
Verizon bill for the MiFi comes in at just under $64/month on the itemized billing statement. Of course we have other phones bundled in with this (and support my wife's Mom's cell phone) so the total package for three phones and unlimited data on aircard comes in around $160.