PDA

View Full Version : Pleated Shades

billandmere
11-20-2005, 08:07 PM
Our MS is a year old, and already two shades have broken. Has anyone had this problem? If so, do we go to the factory for replacement or is it cheaper to go to a different type of window covering. :?:
Thanks for any suggestions.

CampingCaptain
11-21-2005, 08:15 AM
I read somewhere, I think on the Doubletree forum that some people had restrung their shades themselves using heavier string. But, being as your MS is only a year old, you may want to try contacting Doubletree first. I know they are real accomodating.

Hobo
11-21-2005, 07:09 PM
I have done both. 3 of my blinds have brock and I had the factory replace one but found it faster to get a good grade twine at a hobby shop or fabric store and restring them myself.
The dealer could do it for you, but would have to order the blind first. I just happened to be going to the factory anyway.
If I can help ferther let me know

Stacy W.
11-27-2005, 09:20 AM
I have restrung 5 or 6 of our day/night shades and it is pretty easy - just tedious. We fulltime and ours seem to wear out quickly in the two years we have enjoyed this lifestyle. The shades in our HitchHiker are made by
an outfit in Elkhart, IN and I just called them and asked for replacement string and they sent it right out - no charge. It came with diagrams and instructions that help.

We learned during a recent visit to the HitchHiker factory that they are installing day/night shades that have been reengineered and look like they would be less likely to need as much attention as the older type. I'm tempted to replace each shade as it needs restringing with the new type but haven't checked the cost and free string and labor is better.

Hope this helps...

fulltimer5er
12-09-2005, 06:08 PM
I've found the best way to fix them is to do what we did undo them and throw them in the nearest dumpester and put up 2in plantation blinds they look like your in a regular home plus you can look out with out raiseing them up It took soom doing but it was worth it were full timers also. Jim :D

cwsoules
01-23-2006, 08:11 PM
We remounted ours on the bottom frame of the windows and set them up to open up. It takes making the strings very tight, but when complete you can adjust your shades to give excellent privacy while allowing you to look out of the top of the window.

5thwheeler
01-24-2006, 07:46 AM
Slick idea!