PDA

View Full Version : Lights go dim, then bright, then dim and seems to be with charging system

dfarland
05-14-2015, 12:58 PM
When plugged in our lights dim out, then bright, back and forth all the time. I used to think is was camp ground power but then I see no others are doing that. It does seem to cycle with the charging system. Brand new batteries. Any ideas out there?

Thanks in advance.

wingnut60
05-14-2015, 02:47 PM
Probably need to check the batteries, without the converter hooked to them--find out what the charge is that they are holding. Then check the voltgage when they are hooked up and the converter is operating.
If you don't have a digital voltmeter, need to get one--they are big help with battery problems.
Dimming/brightening lights indicate the batteries aren't up to par, and the lights get brighter when the converter cuts in.
Even tho new, batteries can be bad. Also, check that all connections to batteries are clean and tight--no corrosion.
Joe

Stripit
05-14-2015, 04:34 PM
Wingnut60 has the answer. Either a problem with one or both of the new batteries or the charger has an issue, check soon before you loose batteries.

dfarland
05-14-2015, 04:59 PM
This is not the batteries. This has been happening with our unit for years. The batteries have been switched out several times and it has done it on all of them. It's got to be something else.

Stripit
05-14-2015, 06:38 PM
This is not the batteries. This has been happening with our unit for years. The batteries have been switched out several times and it has done it on all of them. It's got to be something else.

OK then the charging system needs to be inspected for either too much power leaving or poor connections, the voltage is not holding steady. The lights getting brighter and dimmer are a result, not the cause.

Joezilla
05-14-2015, 10:37 PM
OK then the charging system needs to be inspected for either too much power leaving or poor connections, the voltage is not holding steady. The lights getting brighter and dimmer are a result, not the cause.

We had this problem on our unit. We had the converter replaced and that solved the problem.

Joe

wingnut60
05-15-2015, 07:38 AM
Now that you say it has been an on-going situation, I agree with Joe--problem with converter.

dfarland
05-15-2015, 07:51 PM
Thanks for all the response. I have dug in a little further and can add some more data. I hooked up a volt meter accross the battery posts and watched it. The voltage would read between approx. 12.5 to 15+ volts... So I moved the meter to the fuse panel where the converter is hooked up to and got a more rapid response to the off and on and offf and on, between about 13.5 volts to 16. So I would guess it is the converter as you nice folks have indicated. Is there any advantage to purchasing a bigger model than was originally installed or should you match the wattage?

Thanks again!

wingnut60
05-16-2015, 09:46 AM
I believe that you can replace the older converter with a higher capacity one--I recommend the Progressive Dynamics 9200 series that have the intelligent battery minder (Charge Wizard) built in. As with most items, mfgs ususally add the smallest capacity of anything (least cost) that fits the specs--tires are the most talked about of this situation.
However, changing the brands/size might be limited by space available where the converter is located.
Hope you have located the problem.
Joe

dfarland
05-17-2015, 07:12 PM
The new converter did the trick. Thanks for all your help and Best Regards!